Recruiting - 2016

Bess might end up back at Sparty. Weird situation but we want Bess if we can get him.

Hell yes we want him. If Izo's willing to take him back after he wanted out, he must have something going for him. This is becoming weirder than that Bleidscheid situation at ND to Mizzou to where ever if, Bess ends up back at MSU.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yes we want him. If Izo's willing to take him back after he wanted out, he must have something going for him. This is becoming weirder than that Bleidscheid situation at ND to Mizzou to where ever if, Bess ends up back at MSU.

There has to be something wrong here. When a kid flips three times in a month, there has to be fire behind the smoke. Is there a legit explanation? Is the kid a head case? How would he effect locker room / team chemistry? (Another McBroom?) If he ends up somewhere besides SLU, I'm okay with that. There are a lot of fish out in the transfer pond.

I think it's Sparty that changed it's mind. That is what's weird. Kids change all the time.

Perhaps Izzo was caught off guard that Davis is staying in the NBA draft. [seems weird if he was, as Davis is predicted to be a first rounder.] So he has an open schollie and begs Best to forgive his past treatment.

I would guess that once he committed to Akron questions about the situation he was about to walk into came into a different light. If he was staying at Michigan state I would think that would already be known.

Isn't that when we plan most of our big on-campus visits?

No we only do that during dead periods.

A quiet period really doesn't mean much. You can still text and call recruits and Bess has already visited campus so we could easily land him still. Hell even during dead periods, you can text or call recruits. Basically you just can't have face to face contact with them. I still can't believe Crews and the staff tried to schedule Tatum (and others) for a visit during a dead period last year.

According to the NCAA calendar, May 19th-27th is a dead period. Of course, as slufan13 points, out the only difference between that and quiet period is there is no face to face contact in a dead period. Can still text or call the player. During a quiet period, the recruit can talk face to face to the coach on the college campus.

Can players sign during a dead period, or a quiet period? If not, a decision could be made, but they have to wait out making it official.

Players can commit to a school verbally. Not sure if they can officially sign or anything. But the signing is always an after-the-fact formality. Basically, a quiet or dead period doesn't stop coaches from recruiting or kids from committing, but it does limit their options.

It doesn't really seem like we're getting Bess, but I could see Ford still keeping himself in the market for other 2016 kids.

Nothing is going to be "signed" this time of year unless a late signing college freshman to be or a legal transfer. Most of the time when you get to summer we are really talking about verbal commits which technically mean nothing beyond someone's word.

Nothing is going to be "signed" this time of year unless a late signing college freshman to be or a legal transfer. Most of the time when you get to summer we are really talking about verbal commits which technically mean nothing beyond someone's word.

Correct. The NLI period ran from April 13 to May 18.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, almaman said:

somewhere there's a Gus breathing a sigh of relief

Correction...it actually a fart not a sigh.  

Gus doesn't know the guys on the current roster.  Let alone a former recruiting target who chose a different school.  Although we'll still get the pleasure of hearing Gus botch Kostas Antetokounmpo's name at least one game a year since he chose UD.

Dayton?! Whoa, that's a huge get for Archie Miller. I thought he would end up at St. John's, Iowa State, Memphis, or one of a couple other places. I haven't checked in with his recruitment in the past few weeks, though.