Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Hines is steady and shows up to all practices and games- Hines has everything you would want in a walk on.

Hines is a great guy who represents the university and the community well and plays hard when asked.

He just doesnt have the talent to justify an athletic scholarship at this level.

Noone is calling for his head like we did Jolly. I hope to cheer loudly for Hines on his senior day in Chaifetz.

This is completely wrong.

AH is a strong 3 point shooter and can fit the 2, DF can easily fit the 4, so then JB fits the 3 spot. This would make an incredibly athletic lineup that can rebound. It is a different style than we got under RM, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I look at the recruits of Foreman at 4, Henriquez at 3 and Johnson at the 2. Thinking that with the current roster Bishop is at 1 and one of our bigs emerges as a 5.

Even though Bess is athletic, he has not developed any outside shot. A wing who doesn't have a 3 point or mid range shot allows the defenders to cheat inside, which makes the half court offence tough. Foreman will be much more effective inside with one on one opportunities, if the defense has to cover a 3 point shooting wing. I suspect when Bess was originally signed, they hoped that his shooting range would improve so that he could play the 3 which is more fitting for his size. Otherwise he is an undersized 4 or a 3 without a mid or long range game. Now if Foreman could step out and hit a long shot, his defender would have to go out with him and then Bess could take his guy one on one inside. But 2 guys with limited range allow their defenders to play off of them and provide help inside. Foreman and Henriquez have proven that they are productive players at a high division one level. Bess has not proven that he can be productive and I don't see it working with the players we have.

I look at the recruits of Foreman at 4, Henriquez at 3 and Johnson at the 2. Thinking that with the current roster Bishop is at 1 and one of our bigs emerges as a 5.

Even though Bess is athletic, he has not developed any outside shot. A wing who doesn't have a 3 point or mid range shot allows the defenders to cheat inside, which makes the half court offence tough. Foreman will be much more effective inside with one on one opportunities, if the defense has to cover a 3 point shooting wing. I suspect when Bess was originally signed, they hoped that his shooting range would improve so that he could play the 3 which is more fitting for his size. Otherwise he is an undersized 4 or a 3 without a mid or long range game. Now if Foreman could step out and hit a long shot, his defender would have to go out with him and then Bess could take his guy one on one inside. But 2 guys with limited range allow their defenders to play off of them and provide help inside. Foreman and Henriquez have proven that they are productive players at a high division one level. Bess has not proven that he can be productive and I don't see it working with the players we have.

I don't think we should be too worried about where players fit in positionally with the current roster. This team needs upgraded talent more than anything. If Bess is an A-10 or better quality player, then he is worth a scholarship, especially this late in the spring.

Interesting. I think JJ is really a 4/3 hybrid, similar to DE.

I understand that JBe is more of an inside player, but if EW is our best forward besides DF, then that will stretch things outside. Also, DF did shoot 50% from 3. Small sample size, but maybe it is a part of his game that will emerge. One of his old coaches brought him here.

I really don't think JBe would be recruited here unless he was going to play the 3. I also don't think Ford would lie to him about it. He has to have pro aspirations, and to get there he has to develop his game. A year off may help.

I don't think we should be too worried about where players fit in positionally with the current roster. This team needs upgraded talent more than anything. If Bess is an A-10 or better quality player, then he is worth a scholarship, especially this late in the spring.

totally agree.

Interesting. I think JJ is really a 4/3 hybrid, similar to DE.

I understand that JBe is more of an inside player, but if EW is our best forward besides DF, then that will stretch things outside. Also, DF did shoot 50% from 3. Small sample size, but maybe it is a part of his game that will emerge. One of his old coaches brought him here.

I really don't think JBe would be recruited here unless he was going to play the 3. I also don't think Ford would lie to him about it. He has to have pro aspirations, and to get there he has to develop his game. A year off may help.

Geez, you gotta have supreme MBM skills to keep up with the "initials game" during this offseason. I think I got em all though.

Agree with NH and Roy, we need Dudes. If Bess cant shoot the 3 that is fine with me. This team needs defined Roles which I thought was a glaring weakness from the CrewSplatt regime. If Bess just wants to play D, dunk and grab boards, then that is fine by me. But something is weird about this one...he de-committed from Akron several days ago and it has been crickets.

I wouldnt be surprised if someone else other than SLU/Akron are ready to scoop him up.

It's not like Henriquez and Foreman will play 40 minutes per game each. You need depth. Plus Bess can launch 3's every day in practice while he sits out for a year. Agree with what others have said. We need talent upgrades. But also agree with Nick, this whole Bess situation seems weird. Doesn't seem like we'd be one to get him.

Jett had a limited outside game, but boy he could go to the rim, play D and score. If Bess has that, who cares about an outside game.

Bess situation is muddled at best. Two finalists us and the Zips. Chooses the Zips and just as suddenly reneges. What's up? If it was an academic issue, then he's not going to get into SLU either, unless we give him a Willie like trial period to fix the problem. My guess is he must have heard from some bigger names. So, are we left out in the cold as well, or are we back in the game? Only the shadow knows, I guess.

totally agree.

I agree that the talent needs drastic upgrades. I am happy with what Ford has dome so far. That said, the problems Ford had with roster construction at OSU are bouncing around in the back of my mind.

I agree that the talent needs drastic upgrades. I am happy with what Ford has dome so far. That said, the problems Ford had with roster construction at OSU are bouncing around in the back of my mind.

Serious question, could T ford be any worse than Crews at constructing a roster?

Too many are concerned with the classical definitions of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. What is Crawford? A 2 and 3? Ash was a 2 or 3 or 4? Reggie certainly not a classical 5. The only '5' bodies we have on the roster are Neufeld, and well Reggie. To be a 5, you play with your back to the basket. 1 and 2 are typically interchangeable these days. Gillmann certainly hasn't played a classical 5, nor of a 4 or even 3.

Serious question, could T ford be any worse than Crews at constructing a roster?

No, you can't get much worse than Crews and Platt were here. Unless you recruited all 5'6" guys maybe?

Too many are concerned with the classical definitions of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. What is Crawford? A 2 and 3? Ash was a 2 or 3 or 4? Reggie certainly not a classical 5. The only '5' bodies we have on the roster are Neufeld, and well Reggie. To be a 5, you play with your back to the basket. 1 and 2 are typically interchangeable these days. Gillmann certainly hasn't played a classical 5, nor of a 4 or even 3.

-interesting

I agree that worrying about roster construction right now is not fruitful. Our roster is full of role players who can easily be over recruited by Ford or anybody but Crews. If we can pick up at least one more transfer this year who is more than a role type, this roster can turn around pretty fast as far as becoming competitive. Once that happens, then we can start worrying about what kind of X and Os guy Ford is or isn't and if he is constructing a proper roster.

Isn't this Goodwin guy everyone wants basically a 3 if you go by height and body but plays like a 4? How about Roosevelt Jones or our own DE. If Bess can play, I'll take him

Rosey Jones was Butler's point guard the second half of the season. Lewis was pretty much benched, and he took over. So what was Jones a 1/4?

I agree to an extent. Crews filled his team with a bunch of 2's, 3's, and 4's and it was a disaster. But I think that has more to do with his inability to recruit and coach up talent. As long as you don't end up with a backcourt of all the same type of player and a frontcourt of all the same type, the classical 1-5 positions don't matter much. I think you have to have a PG to make any lineup work though.

If there is another player added for 2016 I hope it is a point guard. Is there any point guards out there that would be worth signing?