Recruiting - 2016

Bess is a much different player than Henriquez. He's not a good shooter, but likes to attack the basket with and without the ball. I don't know much about his defense.

Henriquez is more of a perimeter scorer, a very good three point shooter.

Henriquez has four finalists, and until this SLU visit announcement, there was no word on any potential destination for Bess.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! On paper that looks like one of a hell of a pick up, considering Ford has only been on the job for about a month. VerbalCommits has him listed as a top 150 (#144) and one of the 10 best unsigned players. Now let's find a way to get the UCF transfer and this would shape up to be a very promising first recruiting class.

If you recall there were some folks who thought there was no chance to get anything done this spring. This shows that if you hire a coach in a timely manner and get somebody who knows how to recruit a bit, you can at least begin the rebuild in a timely manner. RM did not have this benefit because he was hired so late in the process.

I wouldn't read into Verbal Commit's ranking as it uses a Rivals ranking of the other Jalen Johnson (Tennessee recruit). Still seems like a great pick-up

Bess played 12 games his freshman year and missed the rest of the season with a foot injury that eventually required surgery.

Sophomore year, he expected to return to full strength and solidify his role. He started 13 games but was playing just a few minutes a game by the second half of the Big Ten schedule, as Izzo went with bigger lineups and freshman Deyonta Davis emerged. With an already crowded roster on the wing, Bess was the odd man out.

Based on the fact there are still more guys to come in I would bet we will see some shuffling of the roster. Whether it be a return to walk-on for AH or a tranfer after finals, it just doesn't feel like this is the final group for 2016.

Seriously doubt Hines gets renewed. He will be a walk-on again.

So all our scholarships are used up for next year right? And we still have a transfer coming in for a visit this weekend?

1. Crawford

2. Agbeko

3. Jolly

4. Gillmann

5. Roby

6. Bartley

7. Neufeld

8. Bishop

9. Welmer

10. Moore

11. Hines

12. Foreman

13. Johnson

So all our scholarships are used up for next year right? And we still have a transfer coming in for a visit this weekend?

1. Crawford

2. Agbeko

3. Jolly

4. Gillmann

5. Roby

6. Bartley

7. Neufeld

8. Bishop

9. Welmer

10. Moore

11. Hines

12. Foreman

13. Johnson

This response cracked me up:

Collin@spartandawg23 13m

@JonRothstein @CBSSports he'll be good once he develops a shot, learns how to ball handle, basketball iq and defense.

so he just runs straight at the basket without dribbling, second grade style, and bricks a dunk? maybe jollies a behind the back layup over the backboard??? and then he just pouts and picks boogers as his man does the same thing at the other end of the court?

dude sounds like a moran.

If we can get another A-10+ quality recruit, what it comes down to is would you want that player or AH as your final scholarship player, even if it is a transfer who can't play next year? I think AH has to thank the poor quality of Crews recruits for his getting a scholarship last year and be glad that he got one year of free college tuition that he wasn't expecting when he walked on at SLU. After a few good games, it became clear that he was truly a walk-on quality player who had no problem putting up shots from everywhere on the court. Crews, probably trying to justify giving AH the scholarship, continued to play him minutes he did not deserve to play.

On an unrelated topic, Bernie this morning referred to posters on this Board who didn't want T Ford as the new coach. I guess that confirms that he does read Billikens, com.

If we can get another A-10+ quality recruit, what it comes down to is would you want that player or AH as your final scholarship player, even if it is a transfer who can't play next year? I think AH has to thank the poor quality of Crews recruits for his getting a scholarship last year and be glad that he got one year of free college tuition that he wasn't expecting when he walked on at SLU. After a few good games, it became clear that he was truly a walk-on quality player who had no problem putting up shots from everywhere on the court. Crews, probably trying to justify giving AH the scholarship, continued to play him minutes he did not deserve to play.

On an unrelated topic, Bernie this morning referred to posters on this Board who didn't want T Ford as the new coach. I guess that confirms that he does read Billikens, com.

I'm pretty sure he posts here too

Bernie can refer all he wants. Good recruits is what I expected from T Ford, I expect to get into the tourney and expect to then lose. I hope I'm wrong it's just Ford's record that fuels my expectations.

Bernie can refer all he wants. Good recruits is what I expected from T Ford, I expect to get into the tourney and expect to then lose. I hope I'm wrong it's just Ford's record that fuels my expectations.

Bernie is the worst. It must kill him to post anonymously

Lets just say the most who were not crazy about Ford during the hiring process had their hopes up for the Valpo coach. Once that was not going to work out I think most understood and came around,

I don't think anyone here doubted Ford's recruiting ability. Bernie is just looking for excuses to whine.

He still doesn't get it. That's fine. The guy's influence isn't what it used to be. He now feels the need to troll posters on this board in a attempt to remain relevant.

I'm not ready to anoint Ford a great recruiter here after one transfer connected to an assistant hire and one spring recruit of questionable ability. I thought the 2014 class was solid at the time too...

I'm not ready to anoint Ford a great recruiter here after one transfer connected to an assistant hire and one spring recruit of questionable ability. I thought the 2014 class was solid at the time too...

Is Bernie using that as proof that those who questioned the hiring of Ford were wrong? How do people listen to him or Wheeler? I doubt these two commitments changes much for those who were not completely on board with Ford. The concerns were likely focused around his coaching ability and his time at Oklahoma State where he consistently had elite talent, but always ended up around .500 in conference.

Is Bernie using that as proof that those who questioned the hiring of Ford were wrong? How do people listen to him or Wheeler? I doubt these two commitments changes much for those who were not completely on board with Ford. The concerns were likely focused around his coaching ability and his time at Oklahoma State where he consistently had elite talent, but always ended up around .500 in conference.

Yes Bernie was a supporter of Ford. Two parts to the job - recruiting and coaching. We have yet to see the second part. By the way has Ford finished hiring all his ACs?

Is Bernie using that as proof that those who questioned the hiring of Ford were wrong? How do people listen to him or Wheeler?

-I don't

-BM's jagged line approach to getting to a point and the stammering cause him to be not listenable for me, but everyone has their likes and dislikes and I would much rather listen to Frank during 10-noon except when he is talking about his fantasy football team, no one likes to hear someone complain or brag about their fantasy football team

-I don't

-BM's jagged line approach to getting to a point and the stammering cause him to be not listenable for me, but everyone has their likes and dislikes and I would much rather listen to Frank during 10-noon except when he is talking about his fantasy football team, no one likes to hear someone complain or brag about their fantasy football team

I don't listen to sports talk radio, but Bernie's articles on 101sports.com are still pretty solid. Frankly, at the point, I'm just happy to have the sports talk guys discussing the Billikens at all. Also, I'd rather have Bernie defending / touting Ford as a good coach against perceived naysayers on this board than trashing him.

Frankly, at the point, I'm just happy to have the sports talk guys discussing the Billikens at all. Also, I'd rather have Bernie defending / touting Ford as a good coach against perceived naysayers on this board than trashing him.

Can't disagree with that. At least Bernie is talking about the Billikens even if it is an obnoxious way (I didn't listen, but I assume it was him stammering thru a straw man argument).

I say there are 3 important aspects to being successful at SLU. Recruiting, coaching and marketing. So far, Ford has done a good job promoting the team as a program to pay attention to in the area. More than JC ever did. He embrasses the media instead of avoiding them. Hopefully that will equate to merchandising being more available in the market.