Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Antwan Walker: SF, 6-7, 215, Washington, DC (A.D. Woodson)Offers: SLU, St. Joe’s, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, Georgetown, DePaul, NC State, Bowling Green, UNC Wilmington, UNC Greensboro, Towson, Hofstra, James Madison, Manhattan. Interest: Providence, Maryland, Pitt, Miami, Texas, Arkansas, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Latest News: SLU and NC State are Walker’s latest offers after a nice showing at an Adidas event in Dallas. He calls Georgetown his favorite. Scouting Report: Walker is a late bloomer who didn’t play basketball until his freshman year of HS, and didn’t play in a shoe-sponsored AAU tournament until the spring after his junior season. He’s very athletic, active on both ends, and earned a reputation for his dunking and shot blocking. He helped A.D. Woodson to an undefeated state championship season, averaging about 16 and 10.

If Georgetown stays as involved as they appear to be, I think Walker will have a hard time passing them up. He's reportedly a quiet, shy kid who's been wary of all the calls and visits from coaches. He was raised by a single mom in Southeast DC, didn't start playing basketball until HS, and didn't play in an AAU event until a year ago. I just don't see him going far from the nest; even if Georgetown falls through, he's got a lot of other regional offers and interest.

In regards to Walker, this is where Ford's pitch about individual player developement might do wonders for our chances. This kid needs individual development and that is Ford's strong suit.

If we miss that is fine, but this is someone who I think we have a shot at.

-Nick

In regards to Walker, this is where Ford's pitch about individual player developement might do wonders for our chances. This kid needs individual development and that is Ford's strong suit.

If we miss that is fine, but this is someone who I think we have a shot at.

He's definitely a Ford-style player. Ford critics will say he fills a roster with only these type of guys - long, lean, raw, athletic wings to develop - and it doesn't come together well. But SLU has had none of these players lately, and things have not gone well for us.

We'll see what kind of salesman he is.

I love being excited about recruiting again. The worst thing that can happen to a college basketball fan is for your program to be so low that you don't care much about recruiting. That's where we were for the last six months before the Ford hire.

I love being excited about recruiting again. The worst thing that can happen to a college basketball fan is for your program to be so low that you don't care much about recruiting. That's where we were for the last six months before the Ford hire.

Yeah, it's gotten so bad that 3star_recruit has disappeared again. He hasn't signed in in four months.

I don't know, I remember a lot of people being excited about the current sophomore class when they were recruits and Neufeld last summer and recruiting battles for kids like Tatum, Cook, and Snead (some of which we weren't really involved in).

He's definitely a Ford-style player. Ford critics will say he fills a roster with only these type of guys - long, lean, raw, athletic wings to develop - and it doesn't come together well. But SLU has had none of these players lately, and things have not gone well for us.

We'll see what kind of salesman he is.

We've had an overabundance of "wings to develop." Hopefully he can continue recruiting more athletic ones than what we've had...

We've had an overabundance of "wings to develop." Hopefully he can continue recruiting more athletic ones than what we've had...

That's a pretty selective edit of my quote. Had you included it in its entirety, you wouldn't need your second, clarifying sentence.

That's a pretty selective edit of my quote. Had you included it in its entirety, you wouldn't need your second, clarifying sentence.

I didn't edit it at all. I quoted it in full. The problem certainly hasn't been a lack of wing players or the "type" of player Ford tends to recruit. If all you're saying is that we need more athletic/better versions of that type of player, then I certainly won't disagree with you...

Lorenzo Edwards is visiting George Mason and Purdue.

Aleem Ford is visiting Butler and Wisconsin. Michigan was out to see him this week.

Antwan Walker picked up Rhode Island, LaSalle, Penn State, and Old Dominion offers after the recent SLU and Virginia Tech ones. He's now up to 19, by my count, including 6 from the A10. But one of the tweets said he has 20, so I'm not sure which one I'm missing.

If I count correctly we currently have two open offers for next season (Walker and Edwards) and one LOI (Moore). If we get them all that brings our team to 13 scholarship players, and yes, that includes Jolly and Hines. I would wish there was more activity in getting new people for next season. As it is looking right now, it is not good.

I am sure Ford and his new coaches are out there recruiting aggressively. But they got kind of a late start. If they get even one player who can meaningfully contribute next year they are doing one heck of a job considering Spring is not the best of times to start recruiting new players.

If I count correctly we currently have two open offers for next season (Walker and Edwards) and one LOI (Moore). If we get them all that brings our team to 13 scholarship players, and yes, that includes Jolly and Hines. I would wish there was more activity in getting new people for next season. As it is looking right now, it is not good.

I wouldn't sweat the low numbers for 2016. There's plenty of action still to happen on the transfer market and the very nature of spring recruits is that they're waiting to see what happens in April and May. If we sign a couple more guys this spring, it'll be a quick turnaround.

Edwards and Walker are both still in play and supposedly we're still talking to Malik Martin (who I'm still thinking will go somewhere in Florida). There's obviously a lot more to talk about right now in the 2017 and 2018 classes but 2016 is far from over.

I don't know, I remember a lot of people being excited about the current sophomore class when they were recruits and Neufeld last summer and recruiting battles for kids like Tatum, Cook, and Snead (some of which we weren't really involved in).

In fairness, I said the last six months. I agree with what you said about the excitement over recruiting, but that was before realizing that we were headed for another bad season and feeling like we were never going to be enticing to any decent recruits ever again.

In fairness, I said the last six months. I agree with what you said about the excitement over recruiting, but that was before realizing that we were headed for another bad season and feeling like we were never going to be enticing to any decent recruits ever again.

I would certainly agree with that, I actually backtracked quite a bit from my initial comments which came across way more strongly than I intended them to.

Earl Austin just retweeted this from Jon Rothstein:

Rutgers transfer D.J. Foreman will visit Saint Louis this weekend, source told @CBSSports. Two years of eligibility remaining.

D.J. Foreman is a 6'8 240 lb power forward who averaged 7.9 points and 6.0 rebounds in 26.2 minutes as a sophomore this past season for Rutgers. He would certainly fill a need.