Recruiting - 2016

Yea I agree. Tatum has just become another typical top recruit that follows the crowd going to the same schools. I think somebody posted Beal said that it takes a special talent to stay home and play because you will have the extra pressure from the hometown crowd.

Moving on though, looking at the recruiting calendar there is evaluation period the 15th-19th this week. What are the tournaments and where are we thinking/hoping the coaches may be at?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving on though, looking at the recruiting calendar there is evaluation period the 15th-19th this week. What are the tournaments and where are we thinking/hoping the coaches may be at?

Yeah, this is where 3star can help us out quite a bit. I think he has a pretty good idea who some other names of interest may be now that Tatum is out of the picture.

I would imagine that we have not had our last discussion on whether or not to offer Jordan Barnes, but we can eliminate one big reason for doing so.

Yeah, this is where 3star can help us out quite a bit. I think he has a pretty good idea who some other names of interest may be now that Tatum is out of the picture.

I would imagine that we have not had our last discussion on whether or not to offer Jordan Barnes, but we can eliminate one big reason for doing so.

3star knows his stuff. We need to get the guys that are flying under the radar and can be late bloomers. I'd be interested in 3star's evaluation of the guys we're currently looking at.

Are you really comparing New York and Saint Louis in terms of basketball talent? We can win with players from everywhere and will often have to.

Grow the hell up. Next year isn't going to suck and the year after we'll be shocking the dodgeball world again. Losing Tatum sucks but he was not the long term answer anyway.

The core group Grawer left Spoon was made up of 3 or 4 locals who weren't considered In Jayson's category. Also, Grawer's teams that had some nice years were largely made up of locals. I'm not saying we should stock the roster w/ STL kids, but we're not getting any of them to speak of. Sloan, Meyer, Lisch, and Lidell were the last group and did show some promise, but Sodie could never add to them. It should be clear we will likely never land another Legend, but there are other solid locals rejecting SLU who could really help.

The only thing I can really fault Tatum/his family with is that they didn't inform the staff before the Peach Jam. If they had, I highly doubt we would have had 3 coaches at every one of this games even if we were recruiting other Eagles' players.

I still think we need to do a better job on those other Eagles players, so I don't mind this at all. If they weren't going to be down there without Tatum, that's a real shame. Goodwin, Verge, Sneed - plenty more guys that they should be in front of every chance they get.

Curry is blowing up but I think he'll have a unique recruitment. I'd expect some solid BCS conference offers to come for him soon. Talking places like Minnesota, Oregon, Texas, etc. But my understanding is that he is very close with his mother and she will have a major say in his recruitment. The coach that builds the best relationship with his mother will have the best chance. I'm hearing that SLU is definitely on his shortlist and they like the proximity to home, but the proximity to home could easily be lost if a more local school offers him.

Curry is blowing up but I think he'll have a unique recruitment. I'd expect some solid BCS conference offers to come for him soon. Talking places like Minnesota, Oregon, Texas, etc. But my understanding is that he is very close with his mother and she will have a major say in his recruitment. The coach that builds the best relationship with his mother will have the best chance. I'm hearing that SLU is definitely on his shortlist and they like the proximity to home, but the proximity to home could easily be lost if a more local school offers him.

Can you talk to recruits yet? I know you mentioned you need to make sure you aren't violating any NCAA and are associated with a website or something? I would like to hear from him and/or Sneed since I haven't heard much about if he has favorites other than Mizzou.

Can you talk to recruits yet? I know you mentioned you need to make sure you aren't violating any NCAA and are associated with a website or something? I would like to hear from him and/or Sneed since I haven't heard much about if he has favorites other than Mizzou.

I'm still not talking to recruits. I think that will be solved later this summer but I'm working on it. I also think the AD cares less now that Tatum is out the window. Right now I'm getting all info from coaches and "recruiting experts". I definitely won't be posting anything on Twitter for a while but I don't see how posting on this site would be a major deal.

Where have we heard this before

Xavier Sneed is cutting his list soon: "Sneed holds offers from Cincinnati, Creighton, Illinois, Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Saint Louis, Wichita State and Xavier. He told Big Stage Hoops on Friday that he is looking to cut his to five in the near future."

Any guesses? I'll go ahead and guess Illinois, Mizzou, K-State, Minnesota, and SLU.

Xavier Sneed is cutting his list soon: "Sneed holds offers from Cincinnati, Creighton, Illinois, Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Saint Louis, Wichita State and Xavier. He told Big Stage Hoops on Friday that he is looking to cut his to five in the near future."

Any guesses? I'll go ahead and guess Illinois, Mizzou, K-State, Minnesota, and SLU.

That is one recruitment it doesn't seem like anything is known about. It is interesting how little is truly known about the recruitment of Cook and Sneed.

Also, I'm hoping to put together a master list like I'd done the past couple years for 2016, 2017, and 2018 soon. I'll add them to the Recruiting threads for each year.

Early summer is usually the busiest time for me at work and my wife and I just bought a house so my time is spread pretty thin these days, but hopefully I can steal a couple hours in the next couple weeks to do so.

In the meantime, if you have any names that belong on the lists (filed under Offers and Interest), please post them. Here are the rough outlines, which I'll add to and subtract from as necessary:

2016 Offers: Sneed, Curry, Carlisle, McDowell

2016 Interest: Lewis, Barrett, Barnes, Myles, Gladson, Gooch

2017 Offers: Yess, Tilmon

2017 Interest: Goodwin, Verge, Pierre-Louis, Crawford, McKissic, Pipes, Neese, Kpedi, Gunn, Sloan, Henry, Thomas, Clanton, Stallworth, Williams, Payton, Pickett, Negron, Young, Stockard, Spence, Duncan, Warren-Hogue, Frederking

2018 Offers: Watson

2018 Interest: Ramey, Thatch, Gordon, Easley, Hellems, Catchings

Also, I'm hoping to put together a master list like I'd done the past couple years for 2016, 2017, and 2018 soon. I'll add them to the Recruiting threads for each year.

Early summer is usually the busiest time for me at work and my wife and I just bought a house so my time is spread pretty thin these days, but hopefully I can steal a couple hours in the next couple weeks to do so.

In the meantime, if you have any names that belong on the lists (filed under Offers and Interest), please post them. Here are the rough outlines, which I'll add to and subtract from as necessary:

2017 Interest: Goodwin, Verge, Pierre-Louis, Crawford, McKissic, Pipes, Neese, Kpedi, Gunn, Sloan, Henry, Thomas, Clanton, Stallworth, Williams, Payton, Pickett, Negron, Young, Stockard, Spence, Duncan, Warren-Hogue, Frederking

this is so sad now. :(

Tons of talent in that group. Now let's actually close the deal with some of that talent.

For sure. The problem is most of it is in 2017-2018, so we need to really be involved with the best 2016 kids on that list.*

*Incomplete list, to be filled in during the coming days with more players and info on each player.

Taking Carlisle back off, as he re-committed to San Jose State. He de-committed at the end of March to explore his other options, and I guess they weren't as fruitful as he anticipated.

I hope we have some late aces up our sleeve for 2016 because we don't seem highly involved with many from this class.

per espn, we offered a 3 star PG out of texas….Carsen Edwards…..for 216

per espn, we offered a 3 star PG out of texas….Carsen Edwards…..for 216

According to Rivals, in addition to Curry and Sneed we have offered the following:

Nick Rakocevic - 4 stars - 6'9" - Westchester, Illinois

Kostas Antetokounmpo - 4 stars - 6'7" - Milwaukee, WI

Nai Carlisle - no star ranking - 6'0" - West Lafayette, IN

Here's a mission for the Billiken Blog or Brian Haenchen: contact the SLU staff and see if they will confirm who we have offers out to. Clearly these websites like ESPN, Verbal Commits, Rivals, etc. don't have all the information or accurate information. Would it be too much for the staff to actually tell us who they have offered? I can't imagine that there is anything proprietary about the list, right?