Recruiting - 2016

But the point is he spent 3 years at Duke perhaps actually 4 and he is sitting in the stands watching his brother play. If Jayson is as good as "they" say, then he does not need to go to the Big School just as Steph Curry did not need that to be one of the best NBA players today.

On a side note 77 straight three pointers in a row in practice is amazing!!!

But Steph Curry didn't have the option to go to Duke, UNC, UK or every other school in the nation like Jayson does. He was considered a 3 star recruit. Per Rivals, here are his offers:

Davidson COMMITTED (09/18/2005) High Point, VCU, Virginia Tech, William & Mary, Winthrop, Wofford

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Steph Curry didn't have the option to go to Duke, UNC, UK or every other school in the nation like Jayson does. He was considered a 3 star recruit. Per Rivals, here are his offers:

Davidson COMMITTED (09/18/2005) High Point, VCU, Virginia Tech, William & Mary, Winthrop, Wofford

I think he was talking about Seth Curry, Steph's brother

I think that's his point though. When comparing the two, Steph was definitely the better player, but didn't have an option to go any higher than Davidson.

Right, but initially neither did Seth. Pretty much the same situation right out of high school.

Which is why I think the comparison isn't a good one

Perhaps I am not explaining well enough, it does not appear that I got my point across.

There is no ideal comparison, we cannot correct for human variables in real life. It just struck me watching the Warrior- Pelican game that Steph Curry is a great example of a player who achieved without going to a Blue Blood school. It also happens that he has a similar sized brother who happened to go to Duke for 4 years (played 3).

One argument that people keep making is that if Tatum chooses to go to Duke he will be better off because he will practice against better talent. Another way to say it, Playing on a team with a higher talent level will make you a better player. I do not think that is true. Steph Curry did not have that opportunity, but his brother did. Seth transferred to Duke and I believe played three years there. Despite the opportunity to practice against better talent, he did not become a better player than his brother. Why because his brother is phenomenal, his brother has an amazing work ethic, his brother got to be the leader of his team in college and take them on a phenomenal run in the NCAA tourney. Seth perhaps might have done better by staying at a small school and playing more, and learning to be a point guard.

But back to the premise that practicing at Duke is a much better option for JT because his game will improve much more than if he went to SLU and practiced against our current Freshman and sophomores. IF this is absolutely true, and the most important thing for a player, then that should also apply to players like the Curry brothers. Since we do not have identical twins the comparison is not perfect, but these are two similar players, arguably the same 6-3 guards. Both initially shooting guards, both good 3 point shooters in college. Seth played against high level talent, practice in, practice out, was not a slouch, yet has barely sniffed the NBA. Steph played three years at Davidson, stayed his last year in order to learn to be a better PG which he viewed his future NBA position. Drafted by the Warriors and has achieved.

My point is that Steph Curry achieved without playing against the best talent, if playing at Duke against high level talent is good, then playing at Davidson should have been a detriment, but is was not. Why? If going to Duke and practicing against better talent automatically makes one better, then one might have expected his brother to have a better career. He has not. Why? underlying talent level, probably. However one could argue that going to Davidson and playing 30-35 minutes per game might actually have helped him the most. Learning through actual competitive game minutes might be more important than practicing against better talent. Being the guy with the ball and the game on the line over and over again is important too.

It appears that JT has the talent, if he has the work ethic, who he practices against will not have a long lasting positive or negative effect on his overall career. Amount of playing time, work ethic may be more important than who one practices against. There clear as mud.

Perhaps I am not explaining well enough, it does not appear that I got my point across.

There is no ideal comparison, we cannot correct for human variables in real life. It just struck me watching the Warrior- Pelican game that Steph Curry is a great example of a player who achieved without going to a Blue Blood school. It also happens that he has a similar sized brother who happened to go to Duke for 4 years (played 3).

One argument that people keep making is that if Tatum chooses to go to Duke he will be better off because he will practice against better talent. Another way to say it, Playing on a team with a higher talent level will make you a better player. I do not think that is true. Steph Curry did not have that opportunity, but his brother did. Seth transferred to Duke and I believe played three years there. Despite the opportunity to practice against better talent, he did not become a better player than his brother. Why because his brother is phenomenal, his brother has an amazing work ethic, his brother got to be the leader of his team in college and take them on a phenomenal run in the NCAA tourney. Seth perhaps might have done better by staying at a small school and playing more, and learning to be a point guard.

But back to the premise that practicing at Duke is a much better option for JT because his game will improve much more than if he went to SLU and practiced against our current Freshman and sophomores. IF this is absolutely true, and the most important thing for a player, then that should also apply to players like the Curry brothers. Since we do not have identical twins the comparison is not perfect, but these are two similar players, arguably the same 6-3 guards. Both initially shooting guards, both good 3 point shooters in college. Seth played against high level talent, practice in, practice out, was not a slouch, yet has barely sniffed the NBA. Steph played three years at Davidson, stayed his last year in order to learn to be a better PG which he viewed his future NBA position. Drafted by the Warriors and has achieved.

My point is that Steph Curry achieved without playing against the best talent, if playing at Duke against high level talent is good, then playing at Davidson should have been a detriment, but is was not. Why? If going to Duke and practicing against better talent automatically makes one better, then one might have expected his brother to have a better career. He has not. Why? underlying talent level, probably. However one could argue that going to Davidson and playing 30-35 minutes per game might actually have helped him the most. Learning through actual competitive game minutes might be more important than practicing against better talent. Being the guy with the ball and the game on the line over and over again is important too.

It appears that JT has the talent, if he has the work ethic, who he practices against will not have a long lasting positive or negative effect on his overall career. Amount of playing time, work ethic may be more important than who one practices against. There clear as mud.

While a lot of people are going to look only for potential faults in your argument to support their own narrative (while also ignoring the valid points) I think your points are interesting if not compelling.

It strikes me as odd that some supposed Billiken fans have spent so much energy arguing why JT should not go to SLU. I do not understand their motivations unless they just have a personal need to be proven right.

Either way, hopefully, JT makes his choice soon to be a Billiken for all the reasons that ate right for him!

Beautifully stated. To further piggyback on your comments, the following is also true:

Steve Nash, recently retired future Hall of Famer, went to Santa Clara

Lebron James, the best player in the league, didn't go to college

Steph Curry, the best player on the best team, went to Davidson

James Harden, the best shooting guard in the league, went to Arizona State

Klay Thompson, arguably the 2nd best shooting guard, went to Washington State

Paul George, the 2nd best small forward in the East when healthy, went to Fresno State

Kawhi Leonard, the reigning NBA finals MVP and best player on the defending champions, went to San Diego State

If kids want to go to the blue blood outfits to become TV stars while still in college, then I get it. But the notion that kids who are already top 5 recruits need to go to one and done factories to "get better" is an unsupported one.

The list of great NBA players that went to Duke is as follows.

Let's not pretend Duke produces much more than marginal nba players. SLU has more hall of famers than Duke, 1-0.

Kyrie Irving is on the path to becoming a great player. Of course he only played 11 games at Duke and was the best player there the moment he stepped on the floor. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of The Coach K Way.

One more thing. I don't think the superstar calls that Coach K receives does his players any favors. They're not going to get those kinds of calls as 1st and 2nd year players on the next level.

Kyrie Irving is on the path to becoming a great player. Of course he only played 11 games at Duke and was the best player there the moment he stepped on the floor. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of The Coach K Way.

One more thing. I don't think the superstar calls that Coach K receives does his players any favors. They're not going to get those kinds of calls as 1st and 2nd year players on the next level.

Agreed. I'd also go as far to say that Jabari regressed spending a year at Duke.

Agreed. I'd also go as far to say that Jabari regressed spending a year at Duke.

In what way do you think he regressed? I think he was a legitimate NBA player from the moment he stepped on the floor. I just don't think it helps that he's been getting superstar calls all year. When he goes up against Deandre Jordan or Marc Gasol and doesn't get the call, it will be a new experience for him.