Recruiting - 2016

Tatum would be a good pick up, for SLU, and would probably give the billikens a lot on the court....for a year or two. Although I wouldn't be unhappy to see him choose SLU at all, I think id rather see the team pick up someone who is of higher caliber than what the team has now, but not as big a name as tatum that Crews can develop over 4 years. I think that slower, but steady growth would be more beneficial in the long run for SLU basketball than picking up a star that will only be on the court for a short period of time.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tatum would be a good pick up, for SLU, and would probably give the billikens a lot on the court....for a year or two. Although I wouldn't be unhappy to see him choose SLU at all, I think id rather see the team pick up someone who is of higher caliber than what the team has now, but not as big a name as tatum that Crews can develop over 4 years. I think that slower, but steady growth would be more beneficial in the long run for SLU basketball than picking up a star that will only be on the court for a short period of time.

I understand what you're saying and would maybe even agree with you if Tatum wasn't a local recruit. But Tatum has the chance to be one of the highest rated, most sought after recruits in STL history. Landing him would be huge even if he left the day after the season ended.

I am interested to see how those two kids develop and what level of recruit they become. I am uncertain on both as to whether SLU should offer.

Barnes really runs a team well, but he is small and from the few times I have seen him does not appear to have the elite quickness/athleticism to make up for the lack of size.

Cook is incredibly heavy on his feet, but he shows flashes. I saw Chaminade play at CBC and in that game he had some really impressive post up moves, but often times he looks slow and limited from a skill standpoint. He is still growing into his body and has a strange build with a relatively thin upper body and then just a massive lower body, his legs are that of a 350 lb offensive lineman.

-I saw Cook twice last year and was very impressed both times, the kid was a hs soph who is growing into his body, not sure who else is out there at his position but i would be recruiting this kid from what i have seen in two games, so very limited

Oh my. We're talking about a recruit ranked in the top 5 in the Nation son of a former Billiken. If you can get him you take him over anyone else. End of story.

Who says Iowa is "the big boys?" Weren't we better than them the last two years. We need to develop a superior not an inferior complex!

That's the way it is in the eyes of the recruits and the people around them. That is just the reality of college recruiting. Has nothing to do with being inferior. Should not keep the program from continuing to be successful as we've seen the past three years. Cook is a kid that should be gettable. (for lack of a better term)

That's the way it is in the eyes of the recruits and the people around them. That is just the reality of college recruiting. Has nothing to do with being inferior. Should not keep the program from continuing to be successful as we've seen the past three years. Cook is a kid that should be gettable. (for lack of a better term)

I see good signs that is starting to change. Lancona signs with us even though he had a visit to K-State lined up. Reynolds signs with SLU after visiting LSU. Roby signs with SLU after making visits to SEC schools. We should be able to take on and beat our share of mid-level BCS schools for recruits. Xavier has been doing it for years.

Iowa does have the benefit of playing in the Big Ten which is a draw for high level recruits and they could be trending up (?). If Iowa and SLU played this season I likely would have picked Iowa. For a St. Louis kid and where the program is at now, I would expect us to be able to beat out Iowa. For those who have watched Cook, is he a guy you would offer? I have seen him a number of times and am completely on the fence.

Reynolds was a good get, but the deck was cleared for SLU when LSU took the guard from Montverde, which also got them the Simmons kid from 2015. No more room in Baton Rouge. A lot of Roby's SEC love was early, but for whatever reason, it fell off as he got older. good work by SLU guys to get in and scoop him up. Same with Bartley. Very good player, but had an very uneven summer that which caused many to back off. Believe it or not, same thing happened to Van Vleet, whose last summer was up and down. WSU stayed with it while some BCS guys fled. The rest is history. This happens quite frequently.

Reynolds was a good get, but the deck was cleared for SLU when LSU took the guard from Montverde, which also got them the Simmons kid from 2015. No more room in Baton Rouge. A lot of Roby's SEC love was early, but for whatever reason, it fell off as he got older. good work by SLU guys to get in and scoop him up. Same with Bartley. Very good player, but had an very uneven summer that which caused many to back off. Believe it or not, same thing happened to Van Vleet, whose last summer was up and down. WSU stayed with it while some BCS guys fled. The rest is history. This happens quite frequently.

To the extent you have seen them or know something about them, would love to get your commentary on our 2014 class (thoughts, expectations, misconceptions held by us message board morons, etc.)

@NashSkyler: Heading down to SLU June first! #BillikenNation Whitney Young connection? @MilesReyRey3

@MilesReyRey3 Building that pipeline bro ??

Nash is a 2016 recruit that was hurt most of the season. Getting interest from a lot of BCS schools. Would be a hell of a pipeline

Iowa does have the benefit of playing in the Big Ten which is a draw for high level recruits and they could be trending up (?). If Iowa and SLU played this season I likely would have picked Iowa. For a St. Louis kid and where the program is at now, I would expect us to be able to beat out Iowa. For those who have watched Cook, is he a guy you would offer? I have seen him a number of times and am completely on the fence.

On the last day of the Big Dance...on a neutral court...Iowa by 5 over the Bills.

I'm not sure I follow you on Reynolds. Patterson committed to LSU on Oct. 13. According to Rivals, Reynolds was offered by LSU on Oct. 18, so it seems there was room. And the fact that LSU wound up signing another guard in mid-November (after Reynolds committed to SLU) supports the idea that they were still shopping for guards after the Patterson commitment.

Glad to have you back but this is a false report on Reynolds. LSU was on him hard and had him for a visit trying to get him to commit during his visit just days before Coach Crews was in his house talking with his family and getting the commitment. LSU was pushing hard to get him.

To the extent you have seen them or know something about them, would love to get your commentary on our 2014 class (thoughts, expectations, misconceptions held by us message board morons, etc.)

Have seen some of them, but not overly extensive. Haven't been in St. Louis as much the past couple of years, so people probably know more about the kid from Oakville than me. Heard he has skills, but may need to redshirt. The guards all have talent and I like that they come from good programs such as Whitney Young and White Station. The Reynolds kid is a knockdown shooter and Bartley is smooth at getting to the basket. Roby seems like a junkyard dog type player for me. Good body, good size and pretty good athlete. Cannot shoot, but can have a presence defensively and is pretty versatile. Good role player. Have not seen Jolly as much. The Yarbrough kid is very good. He can really score in a variety of ways. It looks like Jim and his staff put together a good group to build the future around. Way too soon to predict how things turn out, but it looks like a good six-man class, especially when you look at them as a whole. If they grow and develop like the last class, the future will indeed be bright. There will definitely be some growing pains with six freshman and three sophomores, but the upside is pretty good.

The moment Patterson committed, I knew he wasn't going to LSU. I knew SLU's chances of getting him increased dramatically. As it turned out, this is what happened.

Yet LSU felt like they still needed to get another guard AFTER getting Patterson... offering Reynolds 5 days later and offering another guard a month after that.

@NashSkyler: Heading down to SLU June first! #BillikenNation Whitney Young connection? @MilesReyRey3

@MilesReyRey3 Building that pipeline bro

Nash is a 2016 recruit that was hurt most of the season. Getting interest from a lot of BCS schools. Would be a hell of a pipeline

In addition to really liking the guys coming in next year, I also love where they are from. Recruits in Chicago, Peoria, Memphis, and Texas are seeing that guys from their town or state are choosing SLU. That's gotta help recruiting in the future.