Mid-Major?

That term really bothers me .....certainly meant to demean non-football schools. I think as of this past season with the success of programs like Wichita State you can throw it out the window. Now the competition for the so called 5 star player is leveling off. Players will certainly go to programs like SLU, Florida Gulf Coast, that would never have done so in the past just based on conference championship and successive NCAA appearances.

Case in point RA who certainly had better options than SLU but obviously picked SLU for playing time, schedule, conference, and education from the best coaching staff in D1 ball. Far as I am concerned, Crews is my "Coach of the Year." Everyone wants to be associated with a successful program no matter the size of the school.

It's going to continue whether you/me like it or not. It's like the old Division 1A and Division 1AA schools in football. Back then, I knew who was what and understood it better than FBS and FCS. The problem is "mid-major" is an all-encompassing term that is not right on all occassions. Gonzaga and Xavier and Butler can all argue they are not mid-major due to basketball success, but when thrown against the measuirng stick that includes major football programs, they fail. Do I care? Nope.

I wouldn't mind it as much if they'd stop calling SWAC, Big West, MEAC, Big South, and the like "mid majors." Those conferences are low majors. The bracketbuster with damn near every non-BCS conference didn't help that.

The mid-major conferences as of right now are: MVC, A10, WCC, CUSA, and maybe the Horizon.

That term really bothers me .....certainly meant to demean non-football schools. I think as of this past season with the success of programs like Wichita State you can throw it out the window. Now the competition for the so called 5 star player is leveling off. Players will certainly go to programs like SLU, Florida Gulf Coast, that would never have done so in the past just based on conference championship and successive NCAA appearances.

Case in point RA who certainly had better options than SLU but obviously picked SLU for playing time, schedule, conference, and education from the best coaching staff in D1 ball. Far as I am concerned, Crews is my "Coach of the Year." Everyone wants to be associated with a successful program no matter the size of the school.

RA didn't have any better options than SLU

Considering that all the major muscle movements that occur in college realignment right now are predicated by the perceived richs that college football promises to bring, if you ain't playing D1 football, you're not a high major. Now, does that make all MAC schools and all Mountain West schools high-majors? I don't think so but I bet they do. I would offer Temple does not play football and hasn't for some decades now. But that's just me. Also, does the ACC play football? For the folks living around Maryland and suffering there more seasons than not, I'd say no -- but then I'd insult Florida State, Clemson, VA Tech, etc.

If you agree we are a mid-major, then I'd agree that places like High Point and Winthrop are not.

It's shorthand for lazy journalists. It means nothing. If you hear someone use the term, you can bet the next words out of their mouth show a continued lack of knowledge, insight, or intelligence.

It's shorthand for lazy journalists. It means nothing. If you hear someone use the term, you can bet the next words out of their mouth show a continued lack of knowledge, insight, or intelligence.

+100000000000

RA didn't have any better options than SLU

Dream on Skip! Oh yes he did. I am friends with RA's AAU coach who dealt with his Buffalo family from the time he arrived in the US up to his selection process plus arrival to SLU Campus last month and he certainly had more BCS options. Verbal Commits (VC) which tend to carry all of the offers a player has, never did have RA's complete offer list because that update came from a family member. During RA's final stretch VC was updated a couple of time but not after he signed his LOI. The family was not drawn by the so called BCS exposure he could have chosen. If you ask him he will say SLU was his best choice for multiple reasons as I listed earlier. His family was very methodical in their decision and looked for particular requirements that would benefit RA in the long run not his short term success.

There are at least 7 BCS/non-BCS schools that offered RA around the time of his visit to SLU and later that he could have chosen that are not on his VC list. 3 of those schools are currently in the top 10 ranking on ESPN where SLU spots at 16th. I am glad he took SLU in the end. To me his best option has always been SLU and I am not saying that for selfish reasons. Needless to say those schools will remain nameless since there is nothing served in exposing who they are at this point. Lets just leave it that SLU is lucky to have him.

One thing that has surprised me is the ability of schools to continue recruiting a player even after he signs that LOI. Downright dirty even if you are a "Blue Blood."

Dream on Skip! Oh yes he did. I am friends with RA's AAU coach who dealt with his Buffalo family from the time he arrived in the US up to his selection process plus arrival to SLU Campus last month and he certainly had more BCS options. Verbal Commits (VC) which tend to carry all of the offers a player has, never did have RA's complete offer list because that update came from a family member. During RA's final stretch VC was updated a couple of time but not after he signed his LOI. The family was not drawn by the so called BCS exposure he could have chosen. If you ask him he will say SLU was his best choice for multiple reasons as I listed earlier. His family was very methodical in their decision and looked for particular requirements that would benefit RA in the long run not his short term success.

There are at least 7 BCS/non-BCS schools that offered RA around the time of his visit to SLU and later that he could have chosen that are not on his VC list. 3 of those schools are currently in the top 10 ranking on ESPN where SLU spots at 16th. I am glad he took SLU in the end. To me his best option has always been SLU and I am not saying that for selfish reasons. Needless to say those schools will remain nameless since there is nothing served in exposing who they are at this point. Lets just leave it that SLU is lucky to have him.

One thing that has surprised me is the ability of schools to continue recruiting a player even after he signs that LOI. Downright dirty even if you are a "Blue Blood."

like?

There are at least 7 BCS/non-BCS schools that offered RA around the time of his visit to SLU and later that he could have chosen that are not on his VC list. 3 of those schools are currently in the top 10 ranking on ESPN where SLU spots at 16th. I am glad he took SLU in the end. aTo me his best option has always been SLU nd I am not saying that for selfish reasons. Needless to say those schools will remain nameless since there is nothing served in exposing who they are at this point. Lets just leave it that SLU is lucky to have him.

Ok ...

"If you ask him he will say SLU was his best choice for multiple reasons"

"To me his best option has always been SLU nd I am not saying that for selfish reasons"

SO ... according to Reggie himself SLU was his best choice and according to you it was his best option

I'm a little confused at how he could have had better options than his best option.

The term will be irrelevant to SLU if we join the Beast. Been awfully quiet on that front, by the way.

Weren't we supposed to send formal notice to the A-10 in June or July this year to be able to opt out of the A-10 and get hit with less of an exit fee. Does anyone recall that date? I'm quite concerned that we haven't heard anything about this recently.

Weren't we supposed to send formal notice to the A-10 in June or July this year to be able to opt out of the A-10 and get hit with less of an exit fee. Does anyone recall that date? I'm quite concerned that we haven't heard anything about this recently.

A team can save $1 million by announcing they are leaving the a-10 by June 30. Considering the big east hasn't even hired a commissioner yet the chances of them making a move before June 30 are slim.

It hardly changes the longer term likelihood of ending in the big east.

A number of top 10s colors are blue. KU, Duke, Ky, UNC. If RA picked us over any of them, well, my respect for JC just rose another 10 notches.

I must say your respect for JC has gone up 10 notches then. It is not my story to tell, if the player chooses to go public with specifics then I can state exactly what I know occurred. Prior to SLU commitment, RA's BCS offers were Boston College, Oklahoma and Texas Tech with interest from Villanova, and Duke had gone in a different direction. After RA's commitment, 2 SEC, 1 Big East, 1 Pac 12, and 2 ACC offers all came in ( Last offer was from a blue blood in North Carolina that had previously gone in a different direction.....hmmm). If you will all recall, there was a tweet by RA's Philadelphia handler the day before signing day, this was from what I was told to close the door on further recruitment by others. RA was sold on what JC told him and SLU was what he wanted.

A team can save $1 million by announcing they are leaving the a-10 by June 30. Considering the big east hasn't even hired a commissioner yet the chances of them making a move before June 30 are slim.

It hardly changes the longer term likelihood of ending in the big east.

Why do you keep saying they haven't hired a commissioner yet? They didn't have one when they brought in X, Butler, and Creighton.

Just saying... I still hold to the hope that it is announced in the next 2 weeks; would be huge.