Recruiting - 2014

An SEC coach leaving for the Pac-12... how can that be? After UK and Florida made the Final Four, a lot of SEC tools came out of the woodwork trying to re-write history that the SEC indeed was a good bball league this past season. Wrong, they had one excellent team, one that got hot, a decent one that barely got on with UT and then a whole bunch of crap after that.

Martin was mentioned for SLU around the time of RM. I'm glad we didn't go that route. He has bounced around a bit now. For our program, I prefer the stability of the wise old guy (Spoon, RM and now JC) to the young hot shot looking to jump to the next job.

I disagree with your assessment of both it and Martin.

UT was a better basketball team than us if you go off the numbers. They were a top 15 team in every computer ranking.

I also wouldn't characterize Martin as "bouncing around a bit". That implies he's doing bad jobs and getting fired. He did a great job at mo state, took a huge leap Up to UT and got his team together this year. Won 3 tourney games and nearly got to the elite eight. He did a great job at UT and all anyone could talk about their was Bruce pearl. I'm glad he left. Tennessee fans who wanted pearl back deserve to be left.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UT was a better basketball team than us if you go off the numbers. They were a top 15 team in every computer ranking.

I also wouldn't characterize Martin as "bouncing around a bit". That implies he's doing bad jobs and getting fired. He did a great job at mo state, took a huge leap Up to UT and got his team together this year. Won 3 tourney games and nearly got to the elite eight. He did a great job at UT and all anyone could talk about their was Bruce pearl. I'm glad he left. Tennessee fans who wanted pearl back deserve to be left.

Bouncing around a bit doesn't imply he's doing a bad job. It implies he's always leaving his current job for a new one. He spent 3 years at Missouri St. and as soon as he had any success (a near NCAA bid) he bolted for greener pastures. He spent 3 years at Tennessee and as soon as he had any success (an NCAA bid and sweet 16 run) he bolted for greener pastures.

3 years at each job can definitely be considered bouncing around.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest Martin bouncing around was because he wasn't a good coach. Quite the contrary. I don't blame him for leaving UT, it's just I never felt like he would have been a good fit for SLU. My statement about UT barely getting in was accurate. They were on the bubble heading into the last week of the season and had to win a play-in game in overtime. Kudos to them, they got hot at the right time.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest Martin bouncing around was because he wasn't a good coach. Quite the contrary. I don't blame him for leaving UT, it's just I never felt like he would have been a good fit for SLU. My statement about UT barely getting in was accurate. They were on the bubble heading into the last week of the season and had to win a play-in game in overtime. Kudos to them, they got hot at the right time.

Ace, wasn't Cuonzo from the St. L area? I think he would have been a good fit, but am glad we didn't hire him based on his record of bolting. He might have done well here, but as soon as something better came along, he was likely gone. Kind of like Romar.

Ace, wasn't Cuonzo from the St. L area? I think he would have been a good fit, but am glad we didn't hire him based on his record of bolting. He might have done well here, but as soon as something better came along, he was likely gone. Kind of like Romar.

Played his HS ball at East St. Louis.

I heard that Martin wanted the SLU job badly. He viewed it as a destination job where he could build a power program. I don't think he would have bolted from SLU unless the Purdue job would have opened up at some point in his tenure. Glad we hired Majerus, but Martin would have been a really good hire, too.

Bouncing around a bit doesn't imply he's doing a bad job. It implies he's always leaving his current job for a new one. He spent 3 years at Missouri St. and as soon as he had any success (a near NCAA bid) he bolted for greener pastures. He spent 3 years at Tennessee and as soon as he had any success (an NCAA bid and sweet 16 run) he bolted for greener pastures.

3 years at each job can definitely be considered bouncing around.

then they all bounce a lot. I'd bet that's close to average term for a coach.

Pat McCaw to UNLV per Evan Daniels. Not that SLU was a possibility anymore anyways.

Interesting to note that MY was reportedly offered by UNLV with their last available scholarship. A few days after he commits to us, McCaw gets that last available UNLV scholarship. Could it be McCaw was their Plan B to MY? It looks like that could have been the case.

FWI, we seem to have had quite a bit of crossover with UNLV over the years - H transfers to SLU, Spoon later goes to UNLV, TLiddell reportedly flirted with UNLV before sticking with his SLU commitment, GG comes to SLU after Kruger leaves UNLV and now MY.