nice piece on Crawford = Kokomo Tribune

DoctorB

http://kokomotribune.com/sports/x2015920177/Crawford-leads-KT-Boys-All-Area-team

this kid comes to SLU with serious Hoosier-style accolades, and overall sounds like a terrific "glue" kid, also "an awesome kid in the classroom and weight room and the lockerroom.” The stuff about his "great will" reminds me of a kid we had from Belle Vegas. Primarily he sounds like a kid who can score right away.

I hope in all the hoopla about Reggie A. we do not forget that Crawford may get more minutes next year than some folks might think. From everything I've heard (never seen him play) I can't wait to sneak into some pick up games this summer for a look-see.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://kokomotribune.com/sports/x2015920177/Crawford-leads-KT-Boys-All-Area-team

this kid comes to SLU with serious Hoosier-style accolades, and overall sounds like a terrific "glue" kid, also "an awesome kid in the classroom and weight room and the lockerroom.” The stuff about his "great will" reminds me of a kid we had from Belle Vegas. Primarily he sounds like a kid who can score right away.

I hope in all the hoopla about Reggie A. we do not forget that Crawford may get more minutes next year than some folks might think. From everything I've heard (never seen him play) I can't wait to sneak into some pick up games this summer for a look-see.

I see Mike as a high-floor player. Worst case scenario, he is a glue guy at the swingman position and a rotation player for his last two years. Best case, he is a mismatch at the 2/3, can stroke it from downtown and is a 3-4 year rotation player and 1-2 year starter.

He will have a tough time breaking into the rotation this year, as will be the case for all of our frosh. We will have talent from top-to-bottom at every position, and the only place we might need help will be at the 4/5.

Mike is another guy who I am excited to see develop over the next four years.

He looks like a Matt Dickey clone, and his coache's last Name is Dickey......

You know, I've seriously thought that a few times when reading about him.

Of course, my whole experience with Dickey was reading his caption in the Post Dispatch as an honorary SLU player against Georgia and the 2 NCAA tourney games he played in. Still, Dickey was a heck of a ball player and hopefully Crawford is similar.

I really have to question this writers ability to evaluate talent. If he thinks Micah Pier of Ma-quah was that good he's really kidding himself. After getting over some injuries Pier was much better this year but in the one game I saw him play against anyone near as tall as Pier, he was nothing, nada, nil. Yes, Pier was great when all of his opponents are 5 inches or more shorter.

I like the Crawford signing. He sounds to me like a Sloan or a Meyer. They may have not had all the skills of a D1 type, butt they were factors in every game. Every team needs guys like this.

While Sloan and Meyer were fine for where we were at the time the truth is we need better now and we should expect better. I am not knocking the two just saying they are not the caliber of player RM would have wanted nor should we aspire to be giddy over. I have no predisposed idea about Crawford but I get a lot conflicting info about him on this board which makes me wonder.

to respectfully disagree: I think we can be pretty giddy over that kind of recruit. And Majerus loved signing Kylc C., for instance, a similar type player whose level of high school competition was probably below the teams Crawford faced, I believe.

I don't think of Crawford as the tough rebounding forwards mentioned, like Luke, who was great by the way (and a world-class teammate, something often overlooked on here). actually the kid who comes to mind for me is more of a long shooter type with a decent sized body, who can run the floor really well: Ron Baker, the freshman at Wichita State. He was impressive in the final four and regionals, and a red-shirt freshman. don't know how many stars Baker had coming out, or offers he turned down, though I doubt if it was Duke Indiana or Kentucky. But he's a perfect example of a kid coming in right away with some serious game, from smalltown farmville. I'm not saying Crawford can be that good right away, but that's who I'm thinking of with him.

While Sloan and Meyer were fine for where we were at the time the truth is we need better now and we should expect better. I am not knocking the two just saying they are not the caliber of player RM would have wanted nor should we aspire to be giddy over. I have no predisposed idea about Crawford but I get a lot conflicting info about him on this board which makes me wonder.

+1 I know since Crawford is white, he must be compared to other white players from past Billiken teams, but based on first-hand reports, newspaper articles and the fact he is considered one of the top 5 players in Indiana, it is reasonable to expect him to be better than Sloan and Meyer. Where the program is now, we need to be aiming a little higher. When thinking about comparisions for Crawford, let's think about closer to Highmark or Lisch.

to respectfully disagree: I think we can be pretty giddy over that kind of recruit. And Majerus loved signing Kylc C., for instance, a similar type player whose level of high school competition was probably below the teams Crawford faced, I believe.

I don't think of Crawford as the tough rebounding forwards mentioned, like Luke, who was great by the way (and a world-class teammate, something often overlooked on here). actually the kid who comes to mind for me is more of a long shooter type with a decent sized body, who can run the floor really well: Ron Baker, the freshman at Wichita State. He was impressive in the final four and regionals, and a red-shirt freshman. don't know how many stars Baker had coming out, or offers he turned down, though I doubt if it was Duke Indiana or Kentucky. But he's a perfect example of a kid coming in right away with some serious game, from smalltown farmville. I'm not saying Crawford can be that good right away, but that's who I'm thinking of with him.

After doing a little digging, I see that Baker was not highly regarded out of high school. Neither Rivals or ESPN graded him out, and Rivals shows the other schools expressing interest in him were AR-Little Rock, Eastern Illinois and South Dakota St. By far, Wichita St. was the biggest program that recruited him. He came from Scott City, KS.

+1 I know since Crawford is white, he must be compared to other white players from past Billiken teams, but based on first-hand reports, newspaper articles and the fact he is considered one of the top 5 players in Indiana, it is reasonable to expect him to be better than Sloan and Meyer. Where the program is now, we need to be aiming a little higher. When thinking about comparisions for Crawford, let's think about closer to Highmark or Lisch.

We were his only D1 offer guys. I realize this could be for a myriad of reasons, but I am just saying it might be a little premature to compare him to two of the best Billikens in the last 25 years.

I think the Kyle Cassity comparison, at this time, is probably the most fair.

I too was impressed in the little video snippets I saw and by NO MEANS am I saying a "Kyle Cassity" type player is all he can become but thinking he could be Lisch or Highmark might only lead to disappointment

We were his only D1 offer guys. I realize this could be for a myriad of reasons, but I am just saying it might be a little premature to compare him to two of the best Billikens in the last 25 years.

I think the Kyle Cassity comparison, at this time, is probably the most fair.

I too was impressed in the little video snippets I saw and by NO MEANS am I saying a "Kyle Cassity" type player is all he can become but thinking he could be Lisch or Highmark might only lead to disappointment

That was BEFORE his senior season. I think if he were unsigned right now, I suspect you would see a good list of offers. He went from the mid 20s in a ranking of the best players in Indiana BEFORE the season to being ranked in the top 5 AFTER the season. I would be very disappointed if all we were getting was Sloan or Meyer.

We were his only D1 offer guys.

This is NOT TRUE.

He had other offers but no huge offers. Stetson, New Orleans, Nevada were some offers.

Had you researched and I believe it's been posted, but Mike is an all-state caliber golfer. He missed several BIG AAU tournaments because of his golf schedule.

If you're not expecting much, you'll be pleasantly surprised. He's a scorer (and more)

This is NOT TRUE.

He had other offers but no huge offers. Stetson, New Orleans, Nevada were some offers.

Had you researched and I believe it's been posted, but Mike is an all-state caliber golfer. He missed several BIG AAU tournaments because of his golf schedule.

If you're not expecting much, you'll be pleasantly surprised. He's a scorer (and more)

Watched his videos posted to this board. I think any D1 scholarship player would light up the scoreboard facing his shorter "suburban looking" competition. How many 5'9" kids with comb overs did he face?

This is NOT TRUE.

I'm also not sweating his lack of other offers too much because he committed to us and signed early, in the fall period. Had he been a spring recruit, there would be a lot more schools interested. Some guys are late bloomers or play in some remote places- both are true for Crawford. He's going to take some time to adjust to a higher level of play and become more physical, but he's 6-5 with a scorer's mentality and a lot of range. I think he'll work out.

After doing a little digging, I see that Baker was not highly regarded out of high school. Neither Rivals or ESPN graded him out, and Rivals shows the other schools expressing interest in him were AR-Little Rock, Eastern Illinois and South Dakota St. By far, Wichita St. was the biggest program that recruited him. He came from Scott City, KS.

Ron Baker was actually a walk-on last year.

Watched his videos posted to this board. I think any D1 scholarship player would light up the scoreboard facing his shorter "suburban looking" competition. How many 5'9" kids with comb overs did he face?

Not sure where this post is coming from. Crawford scored over 2,000 points in his career. Was 3rd in Mr. Basketball voting in one of the best basketball states around. I doubt he faced too many 5'9 kids with comb overs but there might have been some 5'9 kids with buzz cuts. I think you should find some video on his 35-point game against ranked 4A Kokomo and his games against Bowman Academy. I don't think you'll see very many "Suburban looking" kids on those teams. What you will see, though, are several other College basketball players. I think, last year when Mike scored 40, Bowman graduated 3-4 Division 1 college basketball players. He hit 40- again this year too against State Champion, Bowman Academy.

"Suburban Looking"?? Really? Must be some sophist-a-macated people on this board.

Honestly, you can cut down your own recruits if you want. I don't care. Just thought I would give you some info on the kid since he lives in the area....and NO, I'm not from his hometown, either.

I'm also not sweating his lack of other offers too much because he committed to us and signed early, in the fall period. Had he been a spring recruit, there would be a lot more schools interested. Some guys are late bloomers or play in some remote places- both are true for Crawford. He's going to take some time to adjust to a higher level of play and become more physical, but he's 6-5 with a scorer's mentality and a lot of range. I think he'll work out.

I wouldn't say Crawford is a late-bloomer, either. I know he started all 4-years and his team won sectional and regional championships his sophomore, junior, and senior years. You could say Tipton is remote, but they aren't remote like towns in Southern Indiana. Most of the schools on their regular season schedule are bigger than them.

Not sure where this post is coming from. Crawford scored over 2,000 points in his career. Was 3rd in Mr. Basketball voting in one of the best basketball states around. I doubt he faced too many 5'9 kids with comb overs but there might have been some 5'9 kids with buzz cuts. I think you should find some video on his 35-point game against ranked 4A Kokomo and his games against Bowman Academy. I don't think you'll see very many "Suburban looking" kids on those teams. What you will see, though, are several other College basketball players. I think, last year when Mike scored 40, Bowman graduated 3-4 Division 1 college basketball players. He hit 40- again this year too against State Champion, Bowman Academy.

"Suburban Looking"?? Really? Must be some sophist-a-macated people on this board.

Honestly, you can cut down your own recruits if you want. I don't care. Just thought I would give you some info on the kid since he lives in the area....and NO, I'm not from his hometown, either.

I wouldn't say Crawford is a late-bloomer, either. I know he started all 4-years and his team won sectional and regional championships his sophomore, junior, and senior years. You could say Tipton is remote, but they aren't remote like towns in Southern Indiana. Most of the schools on their regular season schedule are bigger than them.

welcome to the board!

I think what you are seeing is a general reluctance to anoint any incoming player - being a Billiken fan is hard work, as you can see by carefully examining a number of the posters' mottoes/quotes sections. Also the "Show-Me" attitude is hard at work here.

That said, I think a lot of us are really excited to see a proven winner join our team, and a guy who knows how to put the ball in the hoop. From the limited video I have seen of Mike, it looks like he scored mostly by attacking the basket. Does he have a reliable outside shot? That sort of shooting ability is more likely to translate at the next level, as in college he will definitely be up against tall, fast and strong players every game. If they can lay off him on the perimeter, he will have a harder time making an impact.

welcome to the board!

I think what you are seeing is a general reluctance to anoint any incoming player - being a Billiken fan is hard work, as you can see by carefully examining a number of the posters' mottoes/quotes sections. Also the "Show-Me" attitude is hard at work here.

That said, I think a lot of us are really excited to see a proven winner join our team, and a guy who knows how to put the ball in the hoop. From the limited video I have seen of Mike, it looks like he scored mostly by attacking the basket. Does he have a reliable outside shot? That sort of shooting ability is more likely to translate at the next level, as in college he will definitely be up against tall, fast and strong players every game. If they can lay off him on the perimeter, he will have a harder time making an impact.

This, and Backhand's "suburban looking" comment was clearly a joke.

welcome to the board!

wasn't in this tavern when Evans and Mccall were early signers? was the chatter this wait and see show doubt going down then?

For me the build up is similar the early signing, following kick ass HS teams go long into state championship, led by our recruit! looked too good to be true on paper but look what we've seen last 3 years. In some ways I find Crawford inspires more drooling. with the 4 year star thing, and the carrying team element enhanced. On the 5'9" hick thing can't imagine there was too much urban competition captured on tape of soon to be drafted by NBA, out stater Otto Porter Jr.

wasn't in this tavern when Evans and Mccall were early signers? was the chatter this wait and see show doubt ###### going down then?

For me the build up is similar the early signing, following kick ass HS teams go long into state championship, led by our recruit! looked too good to be true on paper but look what we've seen last 3 years. In some ways I find Crawford inspires more drooling. with the 4 year star thing, and the carrying team element enhanced. On the 5'9" hick thing can't imagine there was too much urban competition captured on tape of soon to be drafted by NBA, out stater Otto Porter Jr.

Are you channeling GOSLU68 or something? Decipher this post, please.