Davidson to the A10

This is more good news.

1) If people read the article they'll see that we are mentioned as potentially leaving.

2) the focus on eastern teams is more evidence of where the league believes its heading.

3) even if we are stick in the a-10 this doesn't make travel any more difficult. Besides Dayton, everywhere we will go is on the east coast and Charlotte is no worse than many of the spots. Besides, Davidson is better than the "average" a-10 team so it's good they are being added.

This is more good news.

1) If people read the article they'll see that we are mentioned as potentially leaving.

2) the focus on eastern teams is more evidence of where the league believes its heading.

3) even if we are stick in the a-10 this doesn't make travel any more difficult. Besides Dayton, everywhere we will go is on the east coast and Charlotte is no worse than many of the spots. Besides, Davidson is better than the "average" a-10 team so it's good they are being added.

+1

Davidson....B+....most similar A-10 team this year....X

G Mason.....C+....Most similar A-10 team this year....GW

Had the A-10 added Belmont (A-) instead of GM (C+) it would have then been a pretty close swap....ie...Davidson (B+) / X (B+) and Belmont (A-)/ Butler (A)....as it is....Butler (A)/GM (C+) and Davidson =X

Bottomline a little weaker A-10 next year.

This, combined with the GMU move, basically states that SLU and UD are going to the NBE.

I think you are right. If SLU & UD aspired to stay in the A10, I would think they would be screaming for some Midwest replacements like a Detroit or taking some of the MVC schools like a Bradley.

On a selfish note, I am pleased with Davidson, its a game I can drive to and drive back from in one day. My Charlotte replacement. :lol: Hopefully we won't be playing them that long.

Davidson....B+....most similar A-10 team this year....X

G Mason.....C+....Most similar A-10 team this year....GW

Had the A-10 added Belmont (A-) instead of GM (C+) it would have then been a pretty close swap....ie...Davidson (B+) / X (B+) and Belmont (A-)/ Butler (A)....as it is....Butler (A)/GM (C+) and Davidson =X

Bottomline a little weaker A-10 next year.

I am surprised they did not add Siena yet.

Even with them being down recent years they have a lot of potential. Play in the Pepsi Center and have pretty good fan following even with mediocre teams. Similar to Dayton.

The only risk is what happens to the ACC. I know that there has been talk about the delay in going to 12 teams was in part because the NBE wants to see what happens in the ACC to see if there is a "better" option than SLU, Dayton, Richmond, etc. I don't know enough about conference realignments to really understand all of this, but it makes me at least a little nervous.

I am surprised they did not add Siena yet.

Even with them being down recent years they have a lot of potential. Play in the Pepsi Center and have pretty good fan following even with mediocre teams. Similar to Dayton.

Siena would be a bad move at this time for the A-10 from a ranking/quality standpoint.. They are an F team. They are worse than perennial bottomfeeder Fordham. Siena is the equivalent of Edwardsville. Not a good move if you are trying to keep the quality of the league high.

The only risk is what happens to the ACC. I know that there has been talk about the delay in going to 12 teams was in part because the NBE wants to see what happens in the ACC to see if there is a "better" option than SLU, Dayton, Richmond, etc. I don't know enough about conference realignments to really understand all of this, but it makes me at least a little nervous.

I don't think any of the ACC teams would be a fit in the NBE as they are all football schools. I thought that was the whole point of forming a NBE...to get away from football.

The only thing I could see with the ACC is the whole Notre Dame thing. While they are football (obviously) they are still an independent with a commit to play five ACC teams per year, right? Or Connecticut decides to join the ACC. It's all mind-numbing.

The only thing I could see with the ACC is the whole Notre Dame thing. While they are football (obviously) they are still an independent with a commit to play five ACC teams per year, right? Or Connecticut decides to join the ACC. It's all mind-numbing.

If ND wanted to go with the other Catholic schools they would have done it before they teamed up with the ACC. If the ACC falls apart they will find a different landing spot outside the NBE.

The only risk is what happens to the ACC.

Who in the ACC would leave to go to a basketball-only conference? Duke, Wake Forest, and UNC may be basketball-first schools, but they aren't going to walk away from football. ACC basketball is tops in the country. Within the last year, the ACC has basically traded Maryland for Louisville and added Notre Dame for basketball. This only furthers their basketball power.

This ACC talk confuses me more than any other. The ACC has 14 schools; who is at risk of leaving the ACC and where would they go? 4 teams would have to leave before the ACC imploded. Does the NBE really think there is a program or two they could pluck from the ACC? It strikes me as crazy, message board talk.

If ND wanted to go with the other Catholic schools they would have done it before they teamed up with the ACC. If the ACC falls apart they will find a different landing spot outside the NBE.

With the upcoming football 4 team playoffs, it seems the trend for other big time bowl games will be to have them tied directly to the conferences similar to the Big 12/SEC game to be played in New Orleans every year. Notre Dame can no longer afford to be an independent because there won't be any big games left for them to pay in (unless they finish in the top 4). As such, they NEED to be affiliated with a conference. Per Brian's point, if the ACC falls apart they'll just go to the Big 10 or Big 12. There is no way they will go to a basketball only conference at this point.

Siena would be a bad move at this time for the A-10 from a ranking/quality standpoint.. They are an F team. They are worse than perennial bottomfeeder Fordham. Siena is the equivalent of Edwardsville. Not a good move if you are trying to keep the quality of the league high.

When your comparison is Edwardsville, you probably need to try harder.