Happy Birthday Chaifetz Arena

Cowboy

Kevin must have a lot of time on his hands to do that math. I never knew how much water my pickup truck could hold. My question is it making money to pay off the mortgage the way LB wants?

ahh...I still remember the opening where they opened up Lorenzini's to everybody and we got to meet Majerus. I think i stole a good 5 or 6 of those SLU curved beer glasses.

and I worked the Manilow concert and Fleetwood mac, etc...nothing like having middle aged, super high women try to give you kisses and hugs.

Good times.

Still wish they could play the women's games in the Pavillion. 175 people in bleachers that seat 500 is far better than that same number in a building that seats 10600

from what I have heard the dimensions of the pavillion and the layout of the court are not in line with NCAA regulations so playing in the stadium is the only option

I think that, for the sake of Title IX, it's better if they play in the arena, empty or not.

I don't think that's that big of a deal. The men's team used to play in the Scottrade Center, while the women's team was stuck in the West Pine Gym. At Marquette, the men's team plays in the Bradley Center, while the women's team plays in the on-campus practice facility.

I don't think that's that big of a deal. The men's team used to play in the Scottrade Center, while the women's team was stuck in the West Pine Gym. At Marquette, the men's team plays in the Bradley Center, while the women's team plays in the on-campus practice facility.

Even if it's permissible to have the disparity in facilities, for the sake of avoiding the possible complaint....

I would really be curious to know where the finances on the arena stand and how much it has financially benefitted SLU.

From the Bloomberg piece:

-Since moving to Chaifetz the program gets $5.47 per ticket in added revenue. Ticket revenue is up 83%, sponsorship revenue up 271%, basketball program giving up 157% (this includes the mandatory gift that comes with some tickets).

-$33 million of the cost to build Chaifetz came from bonds.

Even if it's permissible to have the disparity in facilities, for the sake of avoiding the possible complaint....

It's one of those challenging situations for the wbb program. It was ridiculous for the women to play there. So, Chaifetz all around is a massive upgrade. Idealistically, the women would play in an on campus few thousand seat arena which isn't going to happen.

The comparison between the two is somewhat apples to oranges. SLU spent $80 million for the men's 10,600 arena and all the other bells and whistles. Marquette paid $30 million for a 4k arena and all the other similar bells and whistles. Their womens hoops and volleyball teams play there. They still have their old gym for other purposes. Their coach has made 7 NCAA's and they have been playing in the rugged Big East. Yet, demand isn't for more than the small but nice arena. In 2012, only 24 schools averaged 4k in womens hoops attendance. SLU women averaged 356 fans per game last year. Idealistically SLU women would have enough resources and success to make some NCAA's and get a few thousand fans per game or more long term. Chaifetz Arena is the only place for them to play. It's worked out well for the men's team, for whom it was built, but it's a challenge for the women. But it's still a better situation than West Pine.