Recruiting question

slu72

Hudson Price -TCU

Mike Brown (transfer from U of I) - Bradley

There are more but I have only seen them mentioned on the premium board so I won't divulge those names per Ben's request

We may have not gotten these guys anyway, but the point being this is a TERRIBLE time not to have a head coach in place. Why do you think one of the most storied programs in the nation (UCLA) fired their head coach and had a new one in place in a couple days?

I'm all for Biondi bashing but it's a pretty big leap to say that THE reason we haven't signed these 3 or so recruits that have committed elsewhere is because they haven't had a press conference to announce Crews as head coach yet.

Hudson Price -TCU

Mike Brown (transfer from U of I) - Bradley

There are more but I have only seen them mentioned on the premium board so I won't divulge those names per Ben's request

We may have not gotten these guys anyway, but the point being this is a TERRIBLE time not to have a head coach in place. Why do you think one of the most storied programs in the nation (UCLA) fired their head coach and had a new one in place in a couple days?

His name is Mike Shaw.

I'm all for Biondi bashing but it's a pretty big leap to say that THE reason we haven't signed these 3 or so recruits that have committed elsewhere is because they haven't had a press conference to announce Crews as head coach yet.

+1

The fact that it hasn't been made official hurts the program when it comes to negative recruiting. You have a coach telling a kid he has limited time to commit before his spot would go to another recruit and why are you waiting around for a program that you don't even know who the coach will be.

if it ends up that we truly dont have a coach, i.e. crews has decided to move on, then i totally agree this is a trainwreck. however, i will be shocked that is the case and i feel certain crews (and staff) is telling recruits he is the coach. a press conference is just cake. if we are losing recruits it is because we werent their choice in the first place.

if it ends up that we truly dont have a coach, i.e. crews has decided to move on, then i totally agree this is a trainwreck. however, i will be shocked that is the case and i feel certain crews (and staff) is telling recruits he is the coach. a press conference is just cake. if we are losing recruits it is because we werent their choice in the first place.

Crews can tell recruits that all he wants. It doesn't matter until he is officially named and they announce the years on the contract. Other programs will say sure he is the coach.................... then why haven't they named him the coach and if he is the coach how long is he going to be there?

I agree. I think some people are blowing this way out of proportion.

Crews can tell recruits that all he wants. It doesn't matter until he is officially named and they announce the years on the contract. Other programs will say sure he is the coach.................... then why haven't they named him the coach and if he is the coach how long is he going to be there?

Exactly. They can also point out that Majerus had to plead with him to join his staff in the first place.

If I am recruiting against SLU right now I am pointing out that the delay in getting this done might very well have to do with Coach Crews deciding whether or not he wants to keep doing this. Whether that is true or not is immaterial. Perception is reality in this case

Would anyone here commit to a college without a permanent head coach anounced? I agree that you cannot point to anyone recruit and say he signed elsewhere because SLU did not have a head coach, but it takes away the chance of someone coming here, seeing the program, and committing immediately. Then you are battling negative recruiting and/or a kid that just does not want to wait to commit. If there is a tough decision between SLU and someone else, the fact that SLU does not have a head coach makes it an easy tiebreaker.

Exactly. They can also point out that Majerus had to plead with him to join his staff in the first place.

If I am recruiting against SLU right now I am pointing out that the delay in getting this done might very well have to do with Coach Crews deciding whether or not he wants to keep doing this. Whether that is true or not is immaterial. Perception is reality in this case

the only way the above would be effective in keeping a recruit that really wanted to come to slu from rebuffing slu and going elsewhere is if our coach and/or assts are not passionately expressing their want to come. i.e. contributing to the uncertainty that maybe it isnt done.

however, if crews adamently counters a question about his coachship with assurance he is the coach, imo the worst that would happen is a recruit puts off his commitment until it is "official". if the kid jumps elsewhere because it hasnt been announced, imo that kid really didnt want to be a billiken all that much.

Does anyone know if we were in the hunt for the Shaw kid, or just made an offer to make an offer? If he was seriously considering SLU and then chose Bradley, that should be a huge red flag that we got problems in River City.

Would anyone here commit to a college without a permanent head coach anounced? I agree that you cannot point to anyone recruit and say he signed elsewhere because SLU did not have a head coach, but it takes away the chance of someone coming here, seeing the program, and committing immediately. Then you are battling negative recruiting and/or a kid that just does not want to wait to commit. If there is a tough decision between SLU and someone else, the fact that SLU does not have a head coach makes it an easy tiebreaker.

-I wouldn't but our recruit from Indiana, Crawford did

-every kid is different, will have different things that influence him versus another kid, different things that are important versus another kid, so hopefully the staff does have everything in order and there is an announcement very soon about our coaching situation so we can knock one negative off the ledger

the only way the above would be effective in keeping a recruit that really wanted to come to slu from rebuffing slu and going elsewhere is if our coach and/or assts are not passionately expressing their want to come. i.e. contributing to the uncertainty that maybe it isnt done.

however, if crews adamently counters a question about his coachship with assurance he is the coach, imo the worst that would happen is a recruit puts off his commitment until it is "official". if the kid jumps elsewhere because it hasnt been announced, imo that kid really didnt want to be a billiken all that much.

Or the kid wanted to make sure he at least had a spot on his second choice before it went to someone else. Why wait for a school when there is a chance the the guy you want to play for will not be there in a few days and get left with only coaches you don't want to play for.

Roy, even he does ultimately become the permanent HC, which like you I believe is all but official, this delay alone could be used by a recruiter to say "yes he will prbably be named head coach soon but if I were you (recruit) I would wonder why this is taking so long? Something isn't quite right over there at SLU."

-I wouldn't but our recruit from Indiana, Crawford did

-every kid is different, will have different things that influence him versus another kid, different things that are important versus another kid, so hopefully the staff does have everything in order and there is an announcement very soon about our coaching situation so we can knock one negative off the ledger

We were BY FAAAAAR Crawford's best offer. I could be named head coach and he would have committed here.

I agree with Roy on this one - if the kid is concerned about Crews having the job and choose elsewhere then he probably was going there anyway. Signing day is weeks away so there is no need to hurry their decision unless they want to - now I do understand that some colleges might be saying choose now or we pull the offer but if I was the kid I would say then you really do not want me.

Roy, even he does ultimately become the permanent HC, which like you I believe is all but official, this delay alone could be used by a recruiter to say "yes he will prbably be named head coach soon but if I were you (recruit) I would wonder why this is taking so long? Something isn't quite right over there at SLU."

totally agree that would be said. if i was recruiting against slu i would say/ask that. however, do you expect crews to not respond to that? if he is being soft on that reply or not proactively answering objections before they are even asked, then we have our answer to his recruiting effectiveness. i would hope he has that handled. if not, it doesnt matter if he was officially named or not. he isnt a good recruiter if he cant counter this stuff.

again, if it truly is a matter that this is up in the air or that crews isnt going to take the job, then i am agreeing chris may and father biondi have screwed up bigtime. but if it is just a formality and crews is just being soft, then it is crews fault.

i suspect neither are the case. i suspect the recruits that went elsewhere were never coming to slu and we are focusing on real targets and doing just fine behind the scenes.

I agree with Roy on this one - if the kid is concerned about Crews having the job and choose elsewhere then he probably was going there anyway. Signing day is weeks away so there is no need to hurry their decision unless they want to - now I do understand that some colleges might be saying choose now or we pull the offer but if I was the kid I would say then you really do not want me.

You don't seem to understand recruiting. Coaches always tell kids who they want that they only have a certain amount of time to commit. Coaches have to do that so they can move on to the next option.

I have no clue if this situation is hurting us on the recruiting front. But I do know there is a lot of ammo out there for negative recruiting. And it could all be easily avoided. Does the president at other universities have to be in the country to when a basketball coach's hiring is announced?

if crews is aware of negative recruiting happening on his top targets, and he has been proactive as any coach could possibly be and it still is a problem, then crews could simply have chris may, or even father biondi call the recruit and state the fact that it is a done deal he is the coach.

i wish it was a done deal as well. and i agree it is probably being used against us, but that can also be turned into a huge positive. passionate explanations and restatements to the recruits can probably go a long way to winning the real targets.

i do hope that tom timmermann asks and reports "just what was delay?" when the announcement comes out. regardless of what willy wonka billikan says, as fans (regardless of our benefactor level) we deserve to know why we were put through the wringer waiting.

You don't seem to understand recruiting. Coaches always tell kids who they want that they only have a certain amount of time to commit. Coaches have to do that so they can move on to the next option.

I have no clue if this situation is hurting us on the recruiting front. But I do know there is a lot of ammo out there for negative recruiting. And it could all be easily avoided. Does the president at other universities have to be in the country to when a basketball coach's hiring is announced?

I actually do understand recruiting but perhaps you don't - I am not a 6 year old I do not need you lecture me. I know coaches often give a time deadline but if they really wanted the kid and the kid really wanted to go there then naming Crews or not would not stop that. If the kid really is not certain then a deadline will not push him.

it's a fuoking rat race and i don't have any confidence in my university not to fuok the next five years up. i keep trying to give them a chance, but they don't deserve it. majerus was a godsend and i'm worried more and more that it's back into mediocrity we head if some drastic measures aren't taken. and i don't mean just the basketball team.