Are we looking like the village idiot of college hoops?

slu72

Ok, over a week since the season's over. In that space of time 4 schools, that I know of, have hired replacement coaches to get a jump on spring recruiting. Meanwhile here we sit with a final 4 NCOY candidate and nothing's been finalized. Not even a whisper. Ok, I get it, we all think he's got the job handed to him on a silver platter. If so, what's the hang up? Let's assume Fr. B is still in Shranga La or Bali, we do have emails, faxes, ipods, ipads, i'mfedups, etc. Don't you think someone could outline the basics of the contract and have the good father say, cool or no effing way. The legalese is up to the lawyers. But the basics of the contract should be nothing more than; Salary, incentives, staff budget, team travel budget, budget for recruiting, buy out if he leaves, severance package if he's fired. What else is there? These are all just numbers, oh yeah, add morals/behavior clause and outside sources of income for media shows. I mean you could just fill in the blanks and leave all the boilerplate to the lawyers. Makes me wonder if Fr. B has ever met Jim Crews and wants a personal interview just to intro themselves. Cripes before you know it, we'll probably have the NRLB involved in this deal and look like complete and utter fools.

I can see this 6'8" recruit making his visits and telling someone he really liked SLU:

Other school's recruiter: "Did they tell you who their head coach is going to be?"

6'8" kid: "Uh, yeah, it's coach Crews.

Recruiter: "Uh, not yet he isn't."

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, over a week since the season's over. In that space of time 4 schools, that I know of, have hired replacement coaches to get a jump on spring recruiting. Meanwhile here we sit with a final 4 NCOY candidate and nothing's been finalized. Not even a whisper. Ok, I get it, we all think he's got the job handed to him on a silver platter. If so, what's the hang up? Let's assume Fr. B is still in Shranga La or Bali, we do have emails, faxes, ipods, ipads, i'mfedups, etc. Don't you think someone could outline the basics of the contract and have the good father say, cool or no effing way. The legalese is up to the lawyers. But the basics of the contract should be nothing more than; Salary, incentives, staff budget, team travel budget, budget for recruiting, buy out if he leaves, severance package if he's fired. What else is there? These are all just numbers, oh yeah, add morals/behavior clause and outside sources of income for media shows. I mean you could just fill in the blanks and leave all the boilerplate to the lawyers. Makes me wonder if Fr. B has ever met Jim Crews and wants a personal interview just to intro themselves. Cripes before you know it, we'll probably have the NRLB involved in this deal and look like complete and utter fools.

I can see this 6'8" recruit making his visits and telling someone he really liked SLU:

Other school's recruiter: "Did they tell you who their head coach is going to be?"

Clearly you do not have enough to do if you are going to worry about this. If Crews was not going to be the coach then he would have come out himself and said so. No need to stay up nights worrying.

Clearly you do not have enough to do if you are going to worry about this. If Crews was not going to be the coach then he would have come out himself and said so. No need to stay up nights worrying.

Cheese, I respect your opinions. But in my opinion this should have been cast in stone after the Oregon loss. It's got nothing to do with my spare time or what I worry about. It really has to do with the image of my alma mater. I'm not 100% behind JC, but I do think, if he wants the job, he's earned it. I never expected us to hire Tubby, Howland, or some hotshot AC. But when you see other schools taking action, ie hiring outside coaches, quickly, you would have thought we'd have this sewed up, in the bag, done deal, announced to the world that JC was SLU's full time coach. What can possibly be the hang up?

Cheese, I respect your opinions. But in my opinion this should have been cast in stone after the Oregon loss. It's got nothing to do with my spare time or what I worry about. It really has to do with the image of my alma mater. I'm not 100% behind JC, but I do think, if he wants the job, he's earned it. I never expected us to hire Tubby, Howland, or some hotshot AC. But when you see other schools taking action, ie hiring outside coaches, quickly, you would have thought we'd have this sewed up, in the bag, done deal, announced to the world that JC was SLU's full time coach. What can possibly be the hang up?

The hang up is that FrB is in Asia.

The hang up is that FrB is in Asia.

The fact that people are still tying to justify the delay in "officially" announcing Crews as coach is ridiculous. '72 is absolutely right. Until it's officially announced you better believe it is hanging over Crews while he is recruiting.

Biondi must be on some Nepalese spiritual walk about. Only explanation for why it's apparently impossible for him to communicate with the school.

Crews will be announced before all the NCAA coaches head to Atlanta for the Final Four so he can go there as a conquering hero. And no we don't really look like the village idiots-at least not yet. If for some reason it doesn't play out like this then we can all jump off the ledge, along with the emperor(Larry) who is wearing no clothes.

Even if such an exchange were to occur, do you really think the recruit would change his mind based upon such a lame approach — over what the coaches and administration told him during his visit to SLU? I know they're 17-20, but they're not likely that gullible. If a recruit liked his visit, he found out enough about the situation that it would take a lot more than just a couple of questions from a rival recruiter to make him switch field.

Even if such an exchange were to occur, do you really think the recruit would change his mind based upon such a lame approach — over what the coaches and administration told him during his visit to SLU? I know they're 17-20, but they're not likely that gullible. If a recruit liked his visit, he found out enough about the situation that it would take a lot more than just a couple of questions from a rival recruiter to make him switch field.

Negative recruiting is pretty easy business. So yeah, there's somebody out there doing it. Time will tell if it's effective.

Ever work for a big company or organization?

Most CEO types have huge egos. HUGE. Do you think Bionid fits that description? Large and in charge?

These types always want to take credit for all "good" and most also are adept at placing the blame for any failures on others.

This cannot happen without the BIG DOG there. We must wait for him to be there to sign and approve, for he rules this kingdom.

And with a successful record 28 win season, another NCAA win, and Crews receiving awards and nominated for others, you can bet Biondi held this up, wants to be there to be clear to let us know we need him to approve and sign off on the deal, for "he rules".

And he will want to be there to make the announcement and the be part of the celebration.... the photo ops.... are you kidding.... he will want that, for all to see.

Nine times out of ten when I post, I usually back the position of the SLU coaches or administration or whatever, as they tend to have more logic and common sense behind the decision compared to messages on a board from very passionate fans, which is a good thing. But in this case, I agree with the rant slu72 makes, this is ridiculous. I don't care if Biondi is in Asia or Antartica, a typical CEO would say get it done and we will have a meeting at the end and I will sign off. You have a meeting after hours, or you make the people in StL have a meeting after hours, you go through, sign off, and get it done.

The decision should have been made in a week if Crews was all in. Asia is a terrible excuse. If you knew you were going to get a contract done, it should have been ready by the last game.

Maybe this is Crews haggling, maybe it is not a done deal, or maybe this is just idiocy of this stupid Asia thing. Either way it is not a done deal, at least in a recruit's eyes. UCLA, USC, and TT have accomplished more in a shorter amount of time.

Nine times out of ten when I post, I usually back the position of the SLU coaches or administration or whatever, as they tend to have more logic and common sense behind the decision compared to messages on a board from very passionate fans, which is a good thing. But in this case, I agree with the rant slu72 makes, this is ridiculous. I don't care if Biondi is in Asia or Antartica, a typical CEO would say get it done and we will have a meeting at the end and I will sign off. You have a meeting after hours, or you make the people in StL have a meeting after hours, you go through, sign off, and get it done.

The decision should have been made in a week if Crews was all in. Asia is a terrible excuse. If you knew you were going to get a contract done, it should have been ready by the last game.

Maybe this is Crews haggling, maybe it is not a done deal, or maybe this is just idiocy of this stupid Asia thing. Either way it is not a done deal, at least in a recruit's eyes. UCLA, USC, and TT have accomplished more in a shorter amount of time.

+1

Last Monday, Crews was on tv saying that a decision would not take long and that everybody would know one way or the other by the end of LAST week. Clearly the timing of key basketball decisions are being made by people (or one person - Biondi) who have no clue about the importance of timing. Levick and now May appear to basically be puppets. Levick didn't want any part of that and bolted. Sodie should have been fired and RM hired at least a month before it happened. Now, in what should be a very simple transaction is dragging on.

Two recruiting targets have recently committed elsewhere while this drags on. Not saying we would have landed those kids, but why even risk it? Recruiting is going on NOW. Sure we've had some visits and the staff can assure the recruits that they will be there, but you better believe that any uncertainty is being used against us in recruiting.