Are we looking like the village idiot of college hoops?

slu72

Not much is posted here as "fact" As a general rule most people understand the majority of things posted are opinion.

However, I'm going to post a "fact" now. SLU could do a hell of a lot better sharing info with their fans and PR wise in general.

Billikan, you obviously have inside info that most fans aren't privy to and are clearly pretty close to the program. Maybe if posters had some of the same info you have on many topics, it'd be easier to be overflowing with positive thoughts on every situation.

skip, mg, just accept it. why should we know anything.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So when is the presser going to be announced? Seriously, if Crews is the guy there is no excuse for this deal not to be done and announced already. Any further wait if Crews is getting the job makes the program look like a joke. No way this contract can be more difficult to finalize than the one Alford agreed to with UCLA.

So when is the presser going to be announced? Seriously, if Crews is the guy there is no excuse for this deal not to be done and announced already. Any further wait if Crews is getting the job makes the program look like a joke. No way this contract can be more difficult to finalize than the one Alford agreed to with UCLA.

No, do not question the process, for here at Billikens.com we can only have positive and "yes man" attitudes. I'm fine (happy?) with Crews being the coach, but my God SLU is a case study on "How To Be Really Bad at Public Relations."

No, do not question the process, for here at Billikens.com we can only have positive and "yes man" attitudes. I'm fine (happy?) with Crews being the coach, but my God SLU is a case study on "How To Be Really Bad at Public Relations."

OK--I surrender-- I will not try to post anything at all to suggest that things are good with the program and that we should be happy that we had such a great year or that the future is bright. In fact, I think I will give up and not post at all. Then everyone can just post negative things constantly and have a lovefest with each other about how one is more insulting and negative than another. But this board should be renamed the Anti-Billiken board because if any third parties or recruits ever read it they will sure as hell never believe that anything good is happening at SLU. One more thing, I would love to see a show of hands of all of you who are constantly negative and ripping the school, etc--even in the wake of the best year in modern Billiken basketball--how many are serious contributors to the basketball program? We have a group who give at least $25,000 per year to support the team--how many of you are ready to step up and join the party. My guess is the answer is few or none and few has left the building!

If you question anything about the program then you don't know anything about basketball.

Crews is the coach and evidently the whole world knows it except us

Even though my wife can see how razor thin we will be next year, pining for additional/better players again indicates that you don't know anything about basketball.

Blind-homerism is the true test of being an actual fan of the program.

OK--I surrender-- I will not try to post anything at all to suggest that things are good with the program and that we should be happy that we had such a great year or that the future is bright. In fact, I think I will give up and not post at all. Then everyone can just post negative things constantly and have a lovefest with each other about how one is more insulting and negative than another. But this board should be renamed the Anti-Billiken board because if any third parties or recruits ever read it they will sure as hell never believe that anything good is happening at SLU. One more thing, I would love to see a show of hands of all of you who are constantly negative and ripping the school, etc--even in the wake of the best year in modern Billiken basketball--how many are serious contributors to the basketball program? We have a group who give at least $25,000 per year to support the team--how many of you are ready to step up and join the party. My guess is the answer is few or none and few has left the building!

lol, wow.

Could you at least tell us WHY this has been dragged out when every other big time program and or coach has been able to get their locked up, signed on the dotted line, and announced; while SLU has had a year and still hasn't even announced a press conference? Just tell us WHY, thats all I would like to know... my guess is someone is being extremely petty in negotiations or Crews isn't out man. It certainly can't be that no one understands the importance of announcing who our head coach will be in a timely manner...

I have bought four season tickets since I graduated in 1998. I probably miss one or two games per year. I have gone to countless road games. No, I cannot afford to right a 25k check. I guess I need to hand in my fan-card

I welcome your posts. I enjoy them. However, I'm not sure why it's unacceptable to question the process. I'm not prepared to acquiesce to every move of SLU, and more directly, the Athletic Department. History has shown that our University has an uncanny ability to mess up even the most simple decisions. I could rehash every bungled situation that has unfolded in the past year (and even further back), but that would be unnecessary. I don't have to be happy with how things are going in every respect, but that doesn't mean I am any less of a fan. Do I think SLU basketball had a great yes? Yes. Would I support Coach Crews as the permanent coach? Absolutely. Do I think they've handled this situation appropriately? No way.

Also, thanks for the financial contributions. I've also made several. However, I'm not prepared to say that one's respective financial situation makes them any more or less of a fan. But, if you think that is the ultimate measure of someone's fandom, then the only real fans must be those who are able to rub elbows with Dr. Chaifetz.

Personally, I love your posts and your always upbeat positive attitude.

But... questioning what's happening or disagreeing with something about the program isn't being negative

Have you read other boards?

Anyone not giving $25k per year just isn't a big enough fan? or doesn't step up? Seriously? I didn't even go there and if you take away the price of the season tickets just in Billiken Club donations I've probably given 10K throughout they years and now I feel inferior.

lol, wow.

Could you at least tell us WHY this has been dragged out when every other big time program and or coach has been able to get their ###### locked up, signed on the dotted line, and announced; while SLU has had a year and still hasn't even announced a press conference? Just tell us WHY, thats all I would like to know... my guess is someone is being extremely petty in negotiations or Crews isn't out man. It certainly can't be that no one understands the importance of announcing who our head coach will be in a timely manner...

Ok--one last post and then I am done. No one is being petty and no one thinks that Crews is not our man. The truth is, as was stated numerous occasions over the last few months, that May and Crews did not have any discussions of negotiations regarding the head coaching position or the details of any deal until everyone got back from San Jose last week and everyone took a day off to unwind. They then had several discussions which were extremely positive and then, as any reasonable person would expect, Father Biondi was consulted when he returned from the far east. He has also been very positive and things are being finalized so that everyone is comfortable with the situation. It is not in any way unusual for this to take a week or so to get everything finalized, particularly when things are moving forward in all other areas, including recruiting, while discussions are being concluded. All of this nonsense and speculation about what is going on behind closed doors is just that--nothing is based on facts yet people continue to repost things that are complete lies as if they are gospel. I obviously do not understand message boards but it really riles me up because this board has the Billiken name on it and so anyone from the "outside" without any real understanding or knowledge about the school or the program could be completely turned off because we look like a sorry imitation of the fanatics at Kentucky--but without the money to bring in a coach like Calapari and his recruiting circus.

-Billikan, I will miss your posts, I applaud your passion for the Billikens, I THANK YOU for your financial support to the U, but on this board we ask questions, post speculation and opinions, if seeing those things ruins your day then by all means stay away, don't read, life is too short, but this board is NOT anything official, says it on the home page, so if a recruit or their family is reading this thinking it is somehow endorsed by or is the official line of the U then they probably can't make grades here or any where

Ok--one last post and then I am done. No one is being petty and no one thinks that Crews is not our man. The truth is, as was stated numerous occasions over the last few months, that May and Crews did not have any discussions of negotiations regarding the head coaching position or the details of any deal until everyone got back from San Jose last week and everyone took a day off to unwind. They then had several discussions which were extremely positive and then, as any reasonable person would expect, Father Biondi was consulted when he returned from the far east. He has also been very positive and things are being finalized so that everyone is comfortable with the situation. It is not in any way unusual for this to take a week or so to get everything finalized, particularly when things are moving forward in all other areas, including recruiting, while discussions are being concluded. All of this nonsense and speculation about what is going on behind closed doors is just that--nothing is based on facts yet people continue to repost things that are complete lies as if they are gospel. I obviously do not understand message boards but it really riles me up because this board has the Billiken name on it and so anyone from the "outside" without any real understanding or knowledge about the school or the program could be completely turned off because we look like a sorry imitation of the fanatics at Kentucky--but without the money to bring in a coach like Calapari and his recruiting circus.

Now was that so hard. Of course not. While I do not give as much as you and some others, I can assure you that my annual donation is nothing to sneeze at. Believe it or not, I may be willing to give more but frankly nobody has ever come to me with a specific need. For example, when the charter flight dust up happened, I suggested to someone high in the AD that if they approached the boosters with a specific plan for raising money to fund the flights that were canceled by Biondi I would think that many of us would have through large and small donations could have covered some if not all of those flights. I was told, that the money was not the issue, Biondi just decided to cancel the flights for whatever the reason and even did not take the money for them away from the AD. I am sorry but that seemed petty to me and honestly makes it hard to understand what is going on in the man's mind. Most of us appreciate any "real" info anybody can actually share so thanks but why can't SLU simply learn from each PR screw up they have to simply try to court their fan base a little bit - it can be done with so little effort but it would mean so much. If you are upset by the board then as Cowboy says don't put yourself through it - it simply is not worth it. Most of us know that some who post are "nuts" but we simply do not respond to those knuckleheads - at least that is how I deal with them.

So: 1) If you don't donate money, you are less of a fan, and 2) We need to offer unconditional support on this forum, or recruits will take any hint of criticism as a sign to take their talents elsewhere. Ok, got it.

But just to add my broke/critical opinion: SLU has fumbled this process. Not badly (at least not yet), but they'll still fumbled it. Every day there's a new story on ESPN of some school hiring a coach. But not a peep from SLU. So while multiple schools have conducted their coaching searches, found their man, negotiated a deal, and signed the contract, SLU has apparently sat on its hands with what appears to be a clear head-coach-in-waiting. I don't particularly care if negotiations are being conducted and all sides are close and everyone is happy; the deal still isn't done. Which reflects poorly on the school/administration, and which may hinder our recruiting. And at such an important stage for the program, why project this image of indecision/incompetence?

Things that have happened since SLU has been out of the tournament and has yet to announce Jim Crews officially:

UCLA has fired and hired a coach.

Tubby Smith has been fired from his position and hired at another school.

100's of players have started the transfer process.

UMKC has hired a coach.

What is the hold up? I just don't understand the delay.

Is this your sly way of saying the Bills will be signing Howland?