Deafening Silence?

I'm a board junkie normally but this season has kicked it into overload especially these last few weeks. So I'm on edge about a few things 1. Coach 2. Conference

Not sure if it means anything. I thought if it was Coach Crews that would be announced already. Maybe they are in no rush because they can already tell recruits it's a done deal.

Conference I can understand that takes time and is out of the AD's hands.

If it were a done deal then why isn't it done? This should have been done yesterday at the latest. My bet is they are haggling over issues regarding the administrations commitment to support the program at a level necessary for success. I am no longer optimistic this will turn out well. Biondi has enough problems to deal with. He doesn't need a basketball coach that has the audacity to make demands before he will accept the job. The longer this drags out, the more likely the disappointing outcome.

Gotta get Biondi back on campus.

Because they're waiting for some really bad allegations to come out about the interim guy even though they already had the new guy picked for weeks. Want to make sure they really screw it up.

Oh, wait. Sorry. I thought we were talking about the Law School.

also: I'm on campus right now and it is very, very quiet. don't forget tomorrow and Monday are university holidays: the parking lots this afternoon are near empty and it seems like most students have already left for the holiday.

it might not happen till Tuesday/Wed. news conference, if that is any indication, so be patient.

If it were a done deal then why isn't it done? This should have been done yesterday at the latest. My bet is they are haggling over issues regarding the administrations commitment to support the program at a level necessary for success. I am no longer optimistic this will turn out well. Biondi has enough problems to deal with. He doesn't need a basketball coach that has the audacity to make demands before he will accept the job. The longer this drags out, the more likely the disappointing outcome.

If JC is actually making demands to get the job done, I'm looking at him in a much more favorable light. And if Fr. B's fighting him after getting knocked out of the Beast by CU, he's really out of touch with reality.

also: I'm on campus right now and it is very, very quiet. don't forget tomorrow and Monday are university holidays: the parking lots this afternoon are near empty and it seems like most students have already left for the holiday.

it might not happen till Tuesday/Wed. news conference, if that is any indication, so be patient.

Is there already a Tuesday/Wednesday press conference scheduled for something?

Also, could the delay have anything to do with this being Easter week? I know Catholics like to take a 5-day weekend for this one.

Also, where in Asia did Biondi go, and why? Serious question.

Is there already a Tuesday/Wednesday press conference scheduled for something?

Also, could the delay have anything to do with this being Easter week? I know Catholics like to take a 5-day weekend for this one.

Also, where in Asia did Biondi go, and why? Serious question.

All over. He's fundraising. SLU has a couple big time donors that live in China, Thailand, etc... He hits them up every year on an annual trip.

It is amazing to me how much disinformation is posted on this board without any basis whatsoever in fact.

Here are just a few--

Coach Crews said he was not interested in the coaching position at SLU--this is false and he never ever said he was not interested to anyone.

Coach Crews does not like to recruit or he hates recruiting--this is not true and he never ever said anything like that--in fact, he and his staff have been recruiting intensely for months and they are working hard right now on a number of possible recruits.

The the one I love most--if the Billikens do not make the big dance every year--one poster says it should be at least 17 years in a row-- and many say it must be 8 out of 10--then the team is terrible and they will stop being fans! this is so ridiculous that it is hard to believe- a response might be when did our fans become like those of Kentucky--but wait --alert! Kentucky with a roster of 10 high school all americans did not make the big dance this year, and Texas with a bunch of HS all americans did not make the big dance- and Baylor with a bunch of 5 star recruits did not make the big dance- and I did some research and only a handful of teams have ever had a streak of 17 years in a row in the NCAA at some point over the past 50 years or so--Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Arizona- and even those teams have missed the tournament numerous times over the years-and then let's look at Michigan with all blue chip recruits and a storied history--they recently missed the big dance for 8 years in a row. In my view, we should be extremely happy to have a team which went to the third round two years in a row--even with the bad shooting flame out in the Oregon Game.

The bottom line is that we are in a good place with our bb program, Chris May is an intelligent guy and he will do what is best for the school--Father Biondi is returning and I am sure they will sit down and hammer out the details of a deal with Coach Crews. All of this speculation about who wants what and who won't give what is ridiculous and untrue. There is not press conference scheduled but you can rest assured that all concerned want to conclude this on as expedited basis as is possible under the circumstances.

The trip to Asia is an annual event to connect with our supporters in that part of the world, generate good will with fundraising contacts and major donors and work with various folks to set up and maintain networks for the referral of students to SLU. In this day and age, the global nature of everything in business and in education dictates that the leaders of universities must make such trips.

The trip to Asia is an annual event to connect with our supporters in that part of the world, generate good will with fundraising contacts and major donors and work with various folks to set up and maintain networks for the referral of students to SLU. In this day and age, the global nature of everything in business and in education dictates that the leaders of universities must make such trips.

I think that's great. I just don't see why the trip couldn't have been scheduled before or after the NCAA tournament.

It is amazing to me how much disinformation is posted on this board without any basis whatsoever in fact.

Here are just a few--

Coach Crews said he was not interested in the coaching position at SLU--this is false and he never ever said he was not interested to anyone.

Coach Crews does not like to recruit or he hates recruiting--this is not true and he never ever said anything like that--in fact, he and his staff have been recruiting intensely for months and they are working hard right now on a number of possible recruits.

The the one I love most--if the Billikens do not make the big dance every year--one poster says it should be at least 17 years in a row-- and many say it must be 8 out of 10--then the team is terrible and they will stop being fans! this is so ridiculous that it is hard to believe- a response might be when did our fans become like those of Kentucky--but wait --alert! Kentucky with a roster of 10 high school all americans did not make the big dance this year, and Texas with a bunch of HS all americans did not make the big dance- and Baylor with a bunch of 5 star recruits did not make the big dance- and I did some research and only a handful of teams have ever had a streak of 17 years in a row in the NCAA at some point over the past 50 years or so--Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Arizona- and even those teams have missed the tournament numerous times over the years-and then let's look at Michigan with all blue chip recruits and a storied history--they recently missed the big dance for 8 years in a row. In my view, we should be extremely happy to have a team which went to the third round two years in a row--even with the bad shooting flame out in the Oregon Game.

The bottom line is that we are in a good place with our bb program, Chris May is an intelligent guy and he will do what is best for the school--Father Biondi is returning and I am sure they will sit down and hammer out the details of a deal with Coach Crews. All of this speculation about who wants what and who won't give what is ridiculous and untrue. There is not press conference scheduled but you can rest assured that all concerned want to conclude this on as expedited basis as is possible under the circumstances.

While this is true, Fr. Biondi displayed incredibly poor judgment by scheduling the trip during this time. I get that it's an annual trip. However, we know that Fr. Biondi does what Fr. Biondi wants to do. Therefore, it is not inconceivable to think the trip could have been rescheduled. Better yet, Fr. Biondi should not have planned a fundraising trip during March Madness in the first place. Last year's trip could potentially be declared "understandable" (although I would disagree, I think it was still incredibly poor timing last year). However, this year, with this team, there really is not a good, credible excuse for the Good Father. He knew the make up of the team, yet he apparently still made the decision to visit Asia.

Moreover, he knew that the New Big East was in the early stages of his formation. Yet, he still didn't care. He took the trip to Asia, as scheduled, without giving it an apparent second thought. To add insult to injury, a newspaper article highlighted the importance of Creighton's President's lobbying efforts to secure a spot in the New Big East. It's incredibly frustrating, inexcusable, and not defensible.

These past few months have made it abundantly clear to me, and several others, that Fr. Biondi just doesn't get it. He doesn't understand the importance of athletics in today's university setting. He continues to exercise poor judgment and tune out all detractors. Instead of listening to criticism, engaging the university, and cheering on his A10 champion Billikens in the NCAA tourney, he surrounds himself with "yes men," jets off to Asia, and ignores the possibility of SLU getting invited to the New Big East.

However, you say Fr. Biondi "must" make such trips. So, tell me, how was his timing?

I think that's great. I just don't see why the trip couldn't have been scheduled before or after the NCAA tournament.

So there can't be an official announcement because he is on a trip? Really? Does everything just shut down while Biondi is away? Can't they at least make an announcement saying that an agreement has been reached in principle? Then next week Biondi can go ahead and officially sign off on it if he has to and they can have a press conference, but why does he have to physically be here? If we don't know anything until the middle of next week, it will have taken us longer to make this official announcement than it took Northwestern to hire and fire a coach.

I'm sure some will say, who cares, what is another week, but I don't think the perception is good. It looks like we are dilly dallying around. If Crews is the guy, then go ahead and at least make an unofficial announcement or leak to the press. Let it be known that there is no questions Crews is our guy, He is the conference coach of the year, contender for national coach of the year, etc. and really celebrate the positives. The way it is playing out now gives off the appearance of indecision. Recruiting is going on. It would help to have a strong statement now.

While this is true, Fr. Biondi displayed incredibly poor judgment by scheduling the trip during this time. I get that it's an annual trip. However, we know that Fr. Biondi does what Fr. Biondi wants to do. Therefore, it is not inconceivable to think the trip could have been rescheduled. Better yet, Fr. Biondi should not have planned a fundraising trip during March Madness in the first place. Last year's trip could potentially be declared "understandable" (although I would disagree, I think it was still incredibly poor timing last year). However, this year, with this team, there really is not a good, credible excuse for the Good Father. He knew the make up of the team, yet he apparently still made the decision to visit Asia.

Moreover, he knew that the New Big East was in the early stages of his formation. Yet, he still didn't care. He took the trip to Asia, as scheduled, without giving it an apparent second thought. To add insult to injury, a newspaper article highlighted the importance of Creighton's President's lobbying efforts to secure a spot in the New Big East. It's incredibly frustrating, inexcusable, and not defensible.

These past few months have made it abundantly clear to me, and several others, that Fr. Biondi just doesn't get it. He doesn't understand the importance of athletics in today's university setting. He continues to exercise poor judgment and tune out all detractors. Instead of listening to criticism, engaging the university, and cheering on his A10 champion Billikens in the NCAA tourney, he surrounds himself with "yes men," jets off to Asia, and ignores the possibility of SLU getting invited to the New Big East.

However, you say Fr. Biondi "must" make such trips. So, tell me, how was his timing?

Or it could be that he knows we're in next year so the schmoozing isn't necessary........

So there can't be an official announcement because he is on a trip? Really? Does everything just shut down while Biondi is away? Can't they at least make an announcement saying that an agreement has been reached in principle? Then next week Biondi can go ahead and officially sign off on it if he has to and they can have a press conference, but why does he have to physically be here? If we don't know anything until the middle of next week, it will have taken us longer to make this official announcement than it took Northwestern to hire and fire a coach.

I'm sure some will say, who cares, what is another week, but I don't think the perception is good. It looks like we are dilly dallying around. If Crews is the guy, then go ahead and at least make an unofficial announcement or leak to the press. Let it be known that there is no questions Crews is our guy, He is the conference coach of the year, contender for national coach of the year, etc. and really celebrate the positives. The way it is playing out now gives off the appearance of indecision. Recruiting is going on. It would help to have a strong statement now.

Interesting, two schools who fired their coaches have already hired their replacements. We, on the other hand, have a guy who's on campus and is a final 4 candidate for coach of the year, yet we appear to be dicking around about our coaching situation. I respect Billikan's knowledge of the program's inner workings. I respect the fact that unlike most of us on here he is a big time donor. But we're all Billiken basketball fanatics and there are times, far too many actually, where the admin appears to have their head up their arse when it comes to their flagship athletic program. Fr. B can have a pass on missing the NCAA's last year, but this year? Come on, that's not right. Heck he missed a chance of sitting next to the X president in San Jose and could have lobbied for the Beast. Did he even go to NY for the A-10 tourney? Did he even send a congrats email to the team and coach Crews for winning the conference and tourney? Oh, I know he built Chaifetz, but to him it was a field of dreams. "Build it and they will come." Well, not unless we have a team that's made up of 13 dead BB hall of famers.

1) Skype.

2) Recent eavesdropping indicated that an announcement is expected by the middle of next week. It was not clear whether that announcement will include white smoke or black smoke.

Just so they're not blowing smoke. It would be nice to get moving on this whether they rehire Crews or someone else.

I don't think people said they'd stop being fans if the team missed the tournament. I said that the standard should be to make the tournament every year. The number 17 was based on the conversation at that time, and that was the point of reference.

I'm not going to stop being a fan if the team doesn't hit whatever standards of performance are out there.

I don't think people said they'd stop being fans if the team missed the tournament. I said that the standard should be to make the tournament every year. The number 17 was based on the conversation at that time, and that was the point of reference.

I'm not going to stop being a fan if the team doesn't hit whatever standards of performance are out there.

Face it, we're not going to make it every year. No one does, save for Duke. But 3 appearances in 13 years should not be acceptable. And as we speak, can you imagine how many applications FGCU is getting right now? A sweet 16 run now and then would be nice. Heck, LaSalle's apps are probably up and they can easily make the elite 8.

So there can't be an official announcement because he is on a trip? Really? Does everything just shut down while Biondi is away?

Right. Exactly, now you understand.

Yes, he in fact micro-manages every single decision; and underline that if it concerns $$$, of any amount. You got it.

This insistence on signing off on any and all details; and unwillingness to delegate; might surprise some folks out there, but it's just par for the course up here in campus-land. Plus, I'm certain that, when and if a presser is called, the good Father will be at the microphone.

Right. Exactly, now you understand.

Yes, he in fact micro-manages every single decision; and underline that if it concerns $$$, of any amount. You got it.

This insistence on signing off on any and all details; and unwillingness to delegate; might surprise some folks out there, but it's just par for the course up here in campus-land. Plus, I'm certain that, when and if a presser is called, the good Father will be at the microphone.

That is freakin' nuts. :angry:

In one of his first interviews after the Tourney, Crews thought it would be done one way or the other by yesterday or today. This is ridiculous. This would seem like something really simple. And even when the university does something bold and great for the program like hire RM, they bungle the timing. Sodie should have been done immediately after the season and his replacement brought in sooner. Waiting so damn long put RM at a disadvantage.

One recruit in today, another this weekend. Apparently, JC isn't worried about a contract. If he were, this activity wouldn't be happening. Contract negotiations can take a while. I don't think you should read anything into that. As long as the staff is recruiting, I'm assuming their moving forward on a deal. If he were leaving, that would have been announced by now, in my opinion.

With signing day only a couple of weeks away, a deal will get done soon. It's not going to take long to see the success of this signing period! I'm told we're in on a number of players. I'm just going to wait and see how it plays out.

Face it, we're not going to make it every year. No one does, save for Duke. But 3 appearances in 13 years should not be acceptable. And as we speak, can you imagine how many applications FGCU is getting right now? A sweet 16 run now and then would be nice. Heck, LaSalle's apps are probably up and they can easily make the elite 8.

We probably won't. At the end of years that we don't make the tournament we'll be disappointed but we'll move on. I think most of us that post here will still be optimistic for the following season too. Most of us aren't going away...so take that for better or worse.

That is freakin' nuts. :angry:

In one of his first interviews after the Tourney, Crews thought it would be done one way or the other by yesterday or today. This is ridiculous. This would seem like something really simple. And even when the university does something bold and great for the program like hire RM, they bungle the timing. Sodie should have been done immediately after the season and his replacement brought in sooner. Waiting so damn long put RM at a disadvantage.

It's done. Waiting for father b to orchestrate the presser. Unfortunately he was at the mercy of the Asian donors and unable to make alternative travel plans. Easter is holding up the announcement

Happy Easter to all.