Injuries

almaman

We seem by and large to have some bad luck through the years, switching leagues, coach dies, WR/KM incident right when RM's system gaining traction, etc. but one area we've been pretty damn lucky with iMHO is injuries. Mitchell's foot may have cost us a 2nd or third seed, and JJ's acrobatic miscue surely lessened his impact last part of season but year in year out we've seemed to have escaped major impact from injury bug.

I wouldn't go that far. Conklin was consistently hurt. He played but he wasn't truly healthy till he was a senior, then he played really well. What about Femi? He would have been a 3 year starter.

We've had alot more than you think. As mentioned, KM missed the first half of this year and BC's entire Junior season was slowed by injuries to both ankles. CE had mono and played sluggish his Sophomore year as compared to his Freshman season (of which he missed half b/c of NCAA clearance issues) separated his shoulder in a game and missed the rest of the season. Again this year, Keith Carter hurt his knee and missed several games and then alleged he felt "rushed" to come back early instead of properly healing and taking a redshirt this year which contributed to his transferring from the team. The shooting guard from KS had a season ending concussion, could not sit in a room with the lights on, could not study for his tests... and not only never played again for us but also went elsewhere in large part due to the concussion. As mentioned, FJ hurt his knees and could not only play 1/2 of his Freshman year while cheering the team on for his remaining 3 1/2 years. We've also had numerous nagging injuries (such as JJ's back) this year when he probably needed JJ the most.

At the same time, remember back we had lost KM for that key home game at Missouri State (CE had yet to arrive, WR was playing well with KM, we made the post season CBI Tournament after finishing the season very strong but could not overcome all the prior losses). One of those important losses was to MO State, a game in which, IMO had KM been healthy, we would have won, the local media would have taken notice, local recruits would have viewed SLU differently.... Instead, we lost another game, media were scratching their heads even about RM wondering if he could still coach especially here at SLU, and possibly we would get into the the Tourney as a bubble team. In short, I truly believe the RM turnaround was slowed by that one game.

Injuries happen to all teams. I am amazed there were not more injuries to MM, KM and JJ. They were fearless on their drives to the basket often crashing to the court, but always got up and kept on playing.

I agree. The key in any analysis is not whether over the last 10 years one can remember the various injuries that have hit the team but whether the injuries we have had are worse than, the same as or less than an "average" teams. Its pretty much an impossible task...

We seem by and large to have some bad luck through the years, switching leagues, coach dies, WR/KM incident right when RM's system gaining traction, etc. but one area we've been pretty damn lucky with iMHO is injuries. Mitchell's foot may have cost us a 2nd or third seed, and JJ's acrobatic miscue surely lessened his impact last part of season but year in year out we've seemed to have escaped major impact from injury bug.

One thing that surprised me was that no media member commented after our game with Oregon on what was obvious to those of us sitting right behind the bench -- that Jordair and Dwayne were really hurting during the game. Jordair could barely walk to the bench and he would be limping but when he was on the court he was giving it all he had although he was clearly not the player he had been earlier when he was healthy. Dwayne had issues that we could not identify but he was walking very carefully near the bench and he seemed to be in pain and ultimately he moved his chair and laid down on the ground behind the bench. Yet when he was in the game he also was a warrior and gave it all he had. I could not be more proud of these two guys and the entire team. For those of us who attended the games in Brooklyn and the games in San Jose we came away with more respect than ever for the team and the coaching staff for a great run--even despite the loss in the last game.

Injuries are going to happen-especially ones you can't really control like a dislocated shoulder or broken foot/wrist/etc. The strength/Medical/PT/training staff are all top notch and really respected in their fields. I can't imagine how bad we'd be(playing so physical) if we had the medical staff of say, the Portland Trailblazers. Athletes go there to die.

I forgot the Glaze injury.

Timmermann noted that Evans and Jett were both hurt. Cassity was another one, constantly hurt but always played through it. I think it says a lot about the players Majerus brought in, he preached toughness. We have a lot of tough guys who not only play hurt, but will win hurt. Hard to find those types of players nowadays.

One thing that surprised me was that no media member commented after our game with Oregon on what was obvious to those of us sitting right behind the bench -- that Jordair and Dwayne were really hurting during the game. Jordair could barely walk to the bench and he would be limping but when he was on the court he was giving it all he had although he was clearly not the player he had been earlier when he was healthy. Dwayne had issues that we could not identify but he was walking very carefully near the bench and he seemed to be in pain and ultimately he moved his chair and laid down on the ground behind the bench. Yet when he was in the game he also was a warrior and gave it all he had. I could not be more proud of these two guys and the entire team. For those of us who attended the games in Brooklyn and the games in San Jose we came away with more respect than ever for the team and the coaching staff for a great run--even despite the loss in the last game.

For sure