Atlantic 10 and George Mason Making Announcements Tomorrow

Via the twitters

Elizabeth Traynor ‏@ektraynor 7m
#atlantic10 just sent out a release: tomm. will be teleconference for "major" news about "league's future." Shades of vcu, butler anncmnts

Ben Weixlmann ‏@BWeixScout 2m
There we go. RT @GMUWashPost: George Mason and Atlantic 10 both making major announcements at almost same time Monday. Not a coincidence.

Ben Weixlmann ‏@BWeixScout 5m
The A-10 will have a 12:45 CT teleconference tomorrow to make a "major announcement".

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The men's basketball team has made the NCAA tournament six times (1989, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2008, and 2011) and the NIT tournament four times (1986, 2002, 2004 and 2009). The Patriot basketball team is most famous for its 2006 NCAA run to the Final Four." That's not exactly worse than the Billikens. I think it's pretty arrogant of us to turn our noses up to George Mason when they have done at least as good, if not quite a bit better, than we have. They have not had a losing season since 1997-1998. They play in the Patriot Center which holds 10,000, again, about like us.

The school ranked 1st in Up and Coming Universities in the 2011 US News and World Report college ranking survey. It is a large public university which doesn't really fit with the NBE theme, but is fine for the A10.

"The men's basketball team has made the NCAA tournament six times (1989, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2008, and 2011) and the NIT tournament four times (1986, 2002, 2004 and 2009). The Patriot basketball team is most famous for its 2006 NCAA run to the Final Four." That's not exactly worse than the Billikens. I think it's pretty arrogant of us to turn our noses up to George Mason when they have done at least as good, if not quite a bit better, than we have. They have not had a losing season since 1997-1998. They play in the Patriot Center which holds 10,000, again, about like us.

The school ranked 1st in Up and Coming Universities in the 2011 US News and World Report college ranking survey. It is a large public university which doesn't really fit with the NBE theme, but is fine for the A10.

Well said.

So are we resigning ourselves to mi major obscurity then?

I mean, what would you rather we do? Power conference teams will laugh the A10 and it's $300k/team paycheck out of the room. The best we can do is add the top mid-majors. Unless you want to stay at current membership and pray for Fordham and St. Bonaventure to develop into elite programs.

Lets see. I can go to The Fetz and see goddam Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, St. Johns, Butler, Xavier, Creighton...

OR Fordham, St. Bonnie, Rhode Island, George Washingtion, U Mass, George Mason, Davidson, Belmont.....................

Lets see. I can go to The Fetz and see goddam Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, St. Johns, Butler, Xavier, Creighton...

OR Fordham, St. Bonnie, Rhode Island, George Washingtion, U Mass, George Mason, Davidson, Belmont.....................

I know. I was surprised SLU officials turned down an invite to the NBE. Seemed strange, but I guess we didn't want to give up the trip to Olean

Come on, Derrick. Don't be ridiculous.

They have had 10 years to plan for this. The whole move to the A10 was to move to the Big East when it split, which is now. If SLU does not complete this move, it is an utter failure of leadership at all levels and said parties must be held responsible. I may be burning bridges by saying that, but it is truly how I feel.

They have had 10 years to plan for this. The whole move to the A10 was to move to the Big East when it split, which is now. If SLU does not complete this move, it is an utter failure of leadership at all levels and said parties must be held responsible. I may be burning bridges by saying that, but it is truly how I feel.

You definitely do not know the details.

My preference would have been that the A10 angled to add a another team from the breaking BE to replace UMass. Since that did not happen, my next preference would have been that the A10 stayed together rather than anyone go to the BE. Since that did not happen, my preference now is that we go to the NBE. All that said, we may not get into the NBE.

I know there are a lot of people from SLU working very hard to get SLU into the NBE, but there are no guarantees and if there are other non-A10 teams looking for a home, our odds may decline. Oregon's once in a lifetime 3 point shooting last night did not help. Given the above, we should be very interested in what happens with the A10 and GMU, relative to SLU, is a good addition. They are not Duke or Kansas, but they are a good team with a better tournament history than SLU so let's not be a bunch of arrogant, entitled jerks who think WE are Duke or Kansas.

Spitting in the dark, actually. It's my favorite thing to do.

As somebody that is partially in the media you may want to get facts...

If you want to post as a casual fan with no media implications maybe use an alias.