New Mexico State: Scouting

Pistol

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the scouting reports on 7-5, 360-pound Sim Bhullar when Xavier was recruiting him. He was as raw as could be, a total project. Maybe the slowest guy in the country up and down the floor. How much that's changed, I don't know. He's played in 34 games, scores 10.7 (62% from the field, 46.5% from FT).

They won their conference tournament. Have won their last 5.

For those asking about the NM losses, the two schools play a home-and-home every year despite not being in the same conference. Pretty cool. But it doesn't always come back-to-back. That was a scheduling quirk this year.

Decent wins: Southern Miss, and a 12-game winning streak in conference. They beat Denver and Louisiana Tech once each, the two teams higher in conference than them. But they also lost to each once. They wound up with an easier road in the conference tournament than they should have, as both Denver and LT lost early. No one else in the conference is any good.

Also had a 20-point win over Missouri State this year.

NMSU is 16th in the country in rebounding and 9th in blocked shots. Not good.

They've attempted the 4th-most free throws in the country but shoot 65.6%, good for 283rd.

They've turned it over 490 times. One of the highest in the country. That bodes very, very well for us.

They don't take a lot of 3's and don't hit them at a very good rate.

7'5 350lbs!!

That is one big Canadian.

Son of Indian immigrants, if I remember correctly. India seems to have all those human body records in the Guinness Book of World Records.

7'5 350lbs!!

That is one big Canadian.

He'll be dead of natural causes in 15 years unfortunately for him.

The other 6'10" plus guys don't play anywhere near as much as Sim. A 6'2" turnover prone PG and a 6'8" scorer who takes too many 3's seem to be the two main guys. I don't see how they match our backcourt, and our stretch bigs will come in handy. Defensively, we can throw bodies at their bigs all day and make them earn their inside points. Not a great 3pt shooting team, either so we can pack it in to some extent as well. They are probably the weakest 13 seed, and if we keep our heads this should be a W.

I'm really looking forward to JJ shutting down OSU's Fr G Marcus Smart to send us to the Sweet 16...

Sim Bhullar is from Toronto, Canada and is a freshman, but some have reported he went to prep school for a year. That would make him a sophomore age wise. Grandy is a sophomore from Toronto, Canada. I wonder if they played against each other in the past.