Great Article in the NYT

"So proud to be a Billiken. Those pics brought a tear to eye...more than once."

I have to say this has been the most emotional year I have ever had in over 50 years as a Billiken fan. Each story about the players, Coach Rick, Coach Crews, the cheerleader that battled back from cancer, Joshua Brown-our most ardent little fan, Crews' former players at Army - my goodness I even teared up when the band played the Australian National Anthem for Cody and his parents.

I hope the successes of this year can be repeated,but I doubt any team will be in everyone's hearts like this years. Thank you all.

I hear you. It's getting ridiculous, but in a good way.

BTW, Chris Harriman's son Avery was released from the hospital after his bone marrow transplant. Seems to be doing well.

Just noticed on the slideshow it mentions Crews dunked a ball after practice. Thus answering the eternal question, "but can he dunk?" Answer, yes.

Here's what the caption said,

"Jim Crews, who was named interim coach in August when Majerus announced that he would not coach this season, spoke briefly to forward Rob Loe last Friday during a tradition called Senior Dunk.

Crews stopped practice and gave a few parting words to the graduating senior, who then dunked the basketball in front of the team."

I take that to mean that Coach Crews jammed the ball in front of the team.

i dont think it is beyond belief that crews could still dunk. he was a division one player with the greatest college basketball team in the last 40something years so we know he had athletic ability or he never would have been good enough to be on that Indiana team. he appears to be in good physical health yet and just turned 59 last month. I know that kevin lisch's father can still dunk and he is 56.

No, it was Ellis. "who then dunked the basketball in front of the team" modifies "the graduating senior" immediately before the comment. Now, had the word after the comment been "and" instead of "who," that would have referred to Crews.

I don't know how many of you have seen the print version this morning but I took a photo. It's on my phone so I'll post a link to my Tweet instead: https://twitter.com/peterisatweeter/status/311831948270120960

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I hoped it would make it to the print version. I scanned (poorly) a copy of it here. It's nearly an 80mb PDF, but you can right click and save as if you'd want a copy.

Pistol - could you go ahead and diagram that sentence and tweet a picture please. Thanks in advance.

No need. I already broke it down for those who misinterpreted the original sentence's meaning. Plus, sentence diagramming is the WORST. Most of my English teachers skipped that lesson plan. I'm still thankful for it.

Dear Biondi/May:

Just pay the $2 million and join right away. Don't blow this.

SLU has done everything they can do to get this done. Quit saying its about SLU paying. It's not! It's about 7Presidents figuring out what they want and a TV network wanting something else.

Great article, but I can nitpick on a couple of things. Sweet Caroline was not played over loudspeakers and the Chase is not downtown.

-and the Band played the Aussie Anthem, but a great read, great pub for the U

- and we have a great student section. Think how much better it could be with a live band!

In my opinion, the author has never seen the team play in person at Chaifetz. Any rebuttal to this?

- and we have a great student section.

Let's not get carried away here. I've never seen 1000 people so quiet before that La Salle game. They get their balloons in the second half and start making animals and $hit with them. I love that they come out, but 75% of them lack any interest in the game.

while i would love to have a nonstop berserk 2,000+ student section, for the millioneth time, you just cant imagine the old days. we (the five of us at many games) could have close study discussions at any time during a game easily. for now, i'll take the butts in the seats as a great step in the right direction with hope those there will catch the billiken fever and turn into rabid full fans eventually.

the fabulous band is there to lead them in the right direction. as long as the students are willing to learn it should just continue to get better.

Let's not get carried away here. I've never seen 1000 people so quiet before that La Salle game. They get their balloons in the second half and start making animals and $hit with them. I love that they come out, but 75% of them lack any interest in the game.

Yep. It's the most frustrating thing.

Baby steps, brah. There is now a real demand for tickets. Apparently a couple of games sold out of student tickets days in advance. It's getting better.

while i would love to have a nonstop berserk 2,000+ student section, for the millioneth time, you just cant imagine the old days. we (the five of us at many games) could have close study discussions at any time during a game easily. for now, i'll take the butts in the seats as a great step in the right direction with hope those there will catch the billiken fever and turn into rabid full fans eventually.

the fabulous band is there to lead them in the right direction. as long as the students are willing to learn it should just continue to get better.

+1. You could sometimes hear the ball bouncing from the second deck at Keil Auditorium

No, it was Ellis. "who then dunked the basketball in front of the team" modifies "the graduating senior" immediately before the comment. Now, had the word after the comment been "and" instead of "who," that would have referred to Crews.

Not to mention, the tradition is called SENIOR DUNK.

Or maybe they really mean SENIOR CITIZEN DUNK???