Recruiting - 2013

I

Question: when dopes this Spring signing period end?

It is a month long, so that should mean it ends about May 15th or so.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/8622877/men-basketball-early-signing-period-frequently-asked-questions

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated:

Offers:

-Hakim Saintil, PG: 5-11, 170, Roselle Catholic HS, Roselle, NJ. Offers: SLU and Fairfield. Possible offers: Rutgers, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Cincinnati, and SMU. Prep school a possibility.

-Jordan Strawberry, PG: 6-1, 170, Mater Dei HS, Santa Ana, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Riverside, and at least 2 others. Claims interest from Arizona, Virginia Tech, Gonzaga, California, and Florida State.

-Daishon Knight, PG-SG: 6-1, 170, Odessa CC, Odessa, TX. Eligible immediately as junior. Offers: SLU, Murray State, Illinois State. Possible offers: Creighton, Colorado State. Interest from Texas State and Baylor.

-Randy Onwuasor, PG: 6-3, 190, Inglewood HS, Inglewood, CA. Top Choices: SLU, Seton Hall, and Miami-Ohio. Other offers: UC-Irvine and Cal State-Fullerton. Interest from Florida State, Arkansas, UNLV, Tulane, New Mexico State, Utah, and Pitt.

-Tanner Lancona, PF: 6-9, 225, Tesoro HS, Las Flores, CA. Decommitted from Washington State. Top Choices: SLU, Kansas State, Colorado State, and BYU. Other fresh offers: Clemson and Penn State. Earlier offers: UC-Santa Barbara, Pacific, Pepperdine, Jacksonville, UC-Davis, San Francisco, Loyola-Marymount, Northern Arizona, Idaho, Idaho State, and Santa Clara.

Others:

-Achraf Yacoubou, SG: 6-4, 210, Villanova. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interested in SLU, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Miami, and UNLV.

-Brett Jolly, PF-C: 6-10, Carroll HS, Southlake, TX. Offers: Weber State. Interest from SLU, Air Force, Belmont, Bucknell, Lehigh, Furman, North Texas, Penn, Tulsa, Sam Houston State, and Wichita State.

-Alex Fitch, SG: 6-3, 180, Notre Dame HS, Quincy, IL. Possible walk-on. Gathering information.

Randy Onwuasor update:

His last 6 retweets (from newest to oldest, below) don't tell a story about his perspective except that he likes the attention. Ben's tweet is my least favorite, with a headline that suggests Miami is his new leader.

Nick Gounaris @NickGounaris 14h

Excited to watch @RandyO_25 run #MiamiOH offense deep into #ncaatournament perfect floor general for talent Coop is putting together

Retweeted by Peanut

BillsFan @BillsFan85stl 15h

I hope SLU can land @RandyO_25. He could learn under @jjett5 and @AyoMCJr11 for a year and then be the floor general by his Soph yr.

Retweeted by Peanut

Ben Weixlmann @BWeixScout 21h

2013 PG Randy Onwuasor finished up his visit to Miami (OH). Does he now have a leader? Info: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=437&f=3554&t=11443252&sto=MS_140483071

Retweeted by Peanut

Chris McManus @CerasolisGhost 26 Apr

2013 G Randy Onwuasor (Inglewood, Calif.) is scheduled to start an official to Miami (OH) today. Expected to visit Seton Hall next. #shbb

Retweeted by Peanut

Jeremy Barker @J_13arker 26 Apr

Hey @RandyO_25, know y all the trees in Pennsylvania lean to the East? Because New Jersey Sucks and Ohio Blows. Go to #SLU man! #Billikens

Retweeted by Peanut

If this guy chooses Miami Ohio over slu, then he's not the kind of player we want. That suggests to me he does not want to sit behind Jett and McCall for a year and he fails to appreciate the benefit he could get from doing so.

Otherwise I have no clue how you choose to play at a school that has been that bad for the last few years and in such a bad conference

Hakim Saintil update: Nothing too new except that I'm now seeing him mention Rutgers, who has scholarships to give at guard. Also, his AAU team played and won a couple games in Philly this weekend.

Jordan Strawberry update: UNC-Wilmington is now involved per a Wilmington area sports writer: Brian Mull @BGMull 27 Apr #UNCW is also recruiting Jordan Strawberry, a 2013 PG from Mater Dei (CA), and son of Darryl.

Nothing new over the weekend on Yacoubou, Jolly, or Knight.

Thanks. Hopefulyl we can close this particular chapter long before another 17 days have to elapse.

It would be nice to have some closure soon, but it can drag on beyond mid-May. I seem to recall we signed Grandy in early June. Also, a lot of the transfers seem to make their move later. It wouldn't surprise me if we are in late May still checking out transfers.

As for Tanner Lancona updates, this board picked up just about everything over the weekend while he was here. Based on his Twitter feed, it was a very good visit. The rain and Cards loss didn't dampen things. He tweeted some great photos, all of which have been posted. I'll be curious to see how his K-State visit goes. BYU and Colorado State are the two others in his top four, but he may not even end up visiting either. The only other weekend news was that his dad had some more to say about the WSU situtation, which was linked in the Fox Sports article a couple pages ago.

We've got tough competition for both Lancona and Onwuasor. But it seems like our staff has done everything in their power to make sure both of these guys know they're a priority for the program, so if we lose out on either or both, it's not because we misplayed anything.

As for Tanner Lancona updates, this board picked up just about everything over the weekend while he was here. Based on his Twitter feed, it was a very good visit. The rain and Cards loss didn't dampen things. He tweeted some great photos, all of which have been posted. I'll be curious to see how his K-State visit goes. BYU and Colorado State are the two others in his top four, but he may not even end up visiting either. The only other weekend news was that his dad had some more to say about the WSU situtation, which was linked in the Fox Sports article a couple pages ago.

We've got tough competition for both Lancona and Onwuasor. But it seems like our staff has done everything in their power to make sure both of these guys know they're a priority for the program, so if we lose out on either or both, it's not because we misplayed anything.

I would feel better if we had more names and these two weren't the focal point, but rather just two of several viable recruits. It would be great of Lancona would call off the visit to K-State and commit to us this week. It is unfortunate that we happened to have sh!tty weather over the weekend and today it is going to be sunny and 80. I hope we are able to line up more visits this week.

Saw that Ben posted an article about RO's visit to Miami OH. anything noteworthy on there?

As a subscriber, I wanted to note something about Ben's tweets that are often misleading. Most of his tweets link his posts on the subscriber message board and not actual articles on the site. IMO, his tweets are framed as though he is linking full articles and I don't think that is right. I suppose it is the same info either way, but it seems a little shady. You can see what the actual articles are if you go to the site even if you are not a subscriber and it is probably obvious there is no full article on RO's Miami OH visit.

With that said, I do think that there is value in subscribing for those that are interested. He provides a lot of info that either never gets posted here or is posted much later. The articles are usually very good. Also his board is more just straight up info and Bills discussion and less OT stuff and re-hashing the same things over and over which is nice.

I would feel better if we had more names and these two weren't the focal point, but rather just two of several viable recruits.

Doesn't the list that Pistol (who is doing awesome work by the way) continues to update show that we are in on quite a few players and Lancona and Onwuasor are perhaps just the top 2?

You are probably right that Lancona is the only impressive big that we are in on, but I would be happy with any of Onwuasor, Yacoubou, Saintil, Knight, or Strawberry (in preference order).

I would feel better if we had more names and these two weren't the focal point, but rather just two of several viable recruits. It would be great of Lancona would call off the visit to K-State and commit to us this week. It is unfortunate that we happened to have sh!tty weather over the weekend and today it is going to be sunny and 80. I hope we are able to line up more visits this week.

We're supposed to host two junior college prospects this week.

Doesn't the list that Pistol (who is doing awesome work by the way) continues to update show that we are in on quite a few players and Lancona and Onwuasor are perhaps just the top 2?

You are probably right that Lancona is the only impressive big that we are in on, but I would be happy with any of Onwuasor, Yacoubou, Saintil, Knight, or Strawberry (in preference order).

Knight has visited other places and not here, so doesn't seem likely. There are reports that Saintil may go to prep school, also he has not visited here. Nothing seems to be shaking there. I don't believe they offered Strawberry, so it may not be an option. I'm just not thrilled with that one. I would be happy with Yacoubou, but haven't heard anything about him in nearly a month.

Randomly poking around on twitter for recruiting tidbits and I found this. Not sure where else to post, but I thought it was pretty cool:

BI-C1gLCAAIHQMh.jpg

If RM were still here he would have used those cups to diagram plays. Man, I kind of wished Tanner hadn't left Dodge w/o a verbal. I think this kid could really help. Same with RO. A little worried about RO because I think MofO, ie Cooper, is telling him we're building a whole new way here and you're the linchpin. He's probably not hearing that from JC. More like, we've got holes to fill after next year, so you've got a year to learn they system. You'll likely get some minutes this year, if you earn them thru hard work, but year you're playing behind 2 vets and a guy who's worked the system via practice.

Anyone else thinking JC's tactics are a little different than RM's? I think RM might have moved on from RO and made a move for his plan B. That's just a guess on my part. Of course, if he still thought he was in serious contention for plan A, he might work it just like JC is. Hopefully, that's the case w/ RO. He still has serious interest but just wants to do a little comparison shopping so to say.

Gotta admit, recruiting season for SLU fans ain't no stroll thru the tulip garden.

If RM were still here he would have used those cups to diagram plays. Man, I kind of wished Tanner hadn't left Dodge w/o a verbal. I think this kid could really help. Same with RO. A little worried about RO because I think MofO, ie Cooper, is telling him we're building a whole new way here and you're the linchpin. He's probably not hearing that from JC. More like, we've got holes to fill after next year, so you've got a year to learn they system. You'll likely get some minutes this year, if you earn them thru hard work, but year you're playing behind 2 vets and a guy who's worked the system via practice.

Anyone else thinking JC's tactics are a little different than RM's? I think RM might have moved on from RO and made a move for his plan B. That's just a guess on my part. Of course, if he still thought he was in serious contention for plan A, he might work it just like JC is. Hopefully, that's the case w/ RO. He still has serious interest but just wants to do a little comparison shopping so to say.

Gotta admit, recruiting season for SLU fans ain't no stroll thru the tulip garden.

Yes. We are waiting too long. The recruits are driving the bus, not JC. RM would have completed his recruits by now.

I read that knight wants a school that has his major - kinesiology - which I don't believe slu has. That's a problem

Knight has visited other places and not here, so doesn't seem likely. There are reports that Saintil may go to prep school, also he has not visited here. Nothing seems to be shaking there. I don't believe they offered Strawberry, so it may not be an option. I'm just not thrilled with that one. I would be happy with Yacoubou, but haven't heard anything about him in nearly a month.

Yes. We are waiting too long. The recruits are driving the bus, not JC. RM would have completed his recruits by now.

Clock, are you saying RM would have cut it off w/ RO by now. Like telling him, this is the last call, Randy, you either commit now or good luck elsewhere?

Clock, are you saying RM would have cut it off w/ RO by now. Like telling him, this is the last call, Randy, you either commit now or good luck elsewhere?

one of the great methods of rickma was obviously not waiting for a recruit. if someone else was worthy and accepted that scholarship was gone. i dont know if there was ever ultimatiums but he probably let the recruits know they werent the only players being offered and when the slots were filled they were filled.

the problem with spring recruiting is that the big boys come out to fill out their rosters and a lot of these recruits who werent being given the time of day in November, are now on a lot of bigger radars. they are probably enjoying the attention and the perks coming with it. hopefully we are still in the habit of offering first come first serve and not sitting back waiting for one or two to make up their minds.

that said, i would be content with what we got. the seniors to be are going to be nice. i would be happy to wait. btw, my favorite local junior justin dieker had 17 points and 13 rebounds over the weekend with the eagles. get him.

are we? If the staff feels there are no suitable replacements for RO and Lancona, then I'm ok with us waiting. Why play chicken with a recruit when you have no suitable alternatives?

By most accounts, we are in the top 1-3 choices for both RO and Lancona, the latter of which just came on the market 7-10 days ago. Is it really time to cut bait now on either of these guys?

Yeah seriously, we miss out on Djambo and that's the end of the world how will we ever recover? Wait, what's that? Lancona might even be better and he's already here for an official visit. Now if we wait too long and miss on him it's all over for us. Obviously the staff is hustling and has plan Bs and Cs that we don't know about. I guess 1 full day post official visit is too much time to allow a kid to decide whether or not he wants to attend college thousands of miles from home. Get real.

are we? If the staff feels there are no suitable replacements for RO and Lancona, then I'm ok with us waiting. Why play chicken with a recruit when you have no suitable alternatives?

By most accounts, we are in the top 1-3 choices for both RO and Lancona, the latter of which just came on the market 7-10 days ago. Is it really time to cut bait now on either of these guys?

Yeah seriously, we miss out on Djambo and that's the end of the world how will we ever recover? Wait, what's that? Lancona might even be better and he's already here for an official visit. Now if we wait too long and miss on him it's all over for us. Obviously the staff is hustling and has plan Bs and Cs that we don't know about. I guess 1 full day post official visit is too much time to allow a kid to decide whether or not he wants to attend college thousands of miles from home. Get real.

Agree completely with this, A_Bomb.