Recruiting - 2013

Daishon Knight update:

-His last batch of retweets came after the Murray State visit. Now he's retweeting a bunch of Illinois State fan tweets. Even retweeted some back-and-forth between the two sets of fans. He seemed to enjoy the visit:

Daishon Knight @DaishonKnight 20 Apr

Illinois.St poppin, I ain't going to Lie

-My 3 favorite retweets:

Briαnα Rεyεs♛ @BriiiReyes 19 Apr

@DaishonKnight come to Illinois state baby, it'll be worth it i promise. My whole sorority wants you :)

Will Beck @_WillBeck 20 Apr

@DaishonKnight if you come to Illinois State i can personally guarantee you your 72 virgins and more if you want them. #RedbirdNation

Nicki Vitro @nicki_vitro 19 Apr

@DaishonKnight ill show you my **** come to ISU ;-) enjoy your visit

well the last time we went up against these recruting tactics, rickma lost harrelson to kentrucky.

if our slunatics were doing their job, we would fight fire with fire. j/k (actually it is kind of disgusting. bad enough it really happens, but to put these tweets out for the world to see? i am sure nicky and brianna's parents are so proud.)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to pretend to know whether Onwuasor or Strawberry is the better option. Onwuasor appears taller and more athletic, whereas Strawberry seems to be a point guard, first and foremost. I was intrigued by Saintil because the was the PG for a team that beat the storied St. Anthony's in the NJ state title game. Strawberry has been the PG for the 3-time defending California state champions. This year his team played in some kind of an elite division that required a team to have a certain level of recent success, and his team won that.

I think we'll just have to trust in JC and staff on this. Obviously, the big from 3 rivers is drawing a ton of attention and we're up against some big names if not neccesarily powerhouses. Hopefully he likes MO and will take SLU. With him and RA it would seem we'll have a solid inside game. If RO and he decide on SLU I think you'd have to say grandslam for JC. A nice mix w/ a wing, PG, PF, and C.

well the last time we went up against these recruting tactics, rickma lost harrelson to kentrucky.

if our slunatics were doing their job, we would fight fire with fire. j/k (actually it is kind of disgusting. bad enough it really happens, but to put these tweets out for the world to see? i am sure nicky and brianna's parents are so proud.)

I'm not a twitter sort of guy but couldn't Nicki's future employer find this kind of stuff. Unless she's working for Hugh Heff or a few congressmen we could mention, that could be a bit of a negative.....

there is something to be said for a three time starter of a championship team.....I know the stats do not speak loudly, but you cannot be a leader of a three time champ without having an impact on the game.

That's my thought as well. It sounds like he is a leader on the floor.

Daishon Knight update:

-His last batch of retweets came after the Murray State visit. Now he's retweeting a bunch of Illinois State fan tweets. Even retweeted some back-and-forth between the two sets of fans. He seemed to enjoy the visit:

Daishon Knight @DaishonKnight 20 Apr

Illinois.St poppin, I ain't going to Lie

-My 3 favorite retweets:

Briαnα Rεyεs♛ @BriiiReyes 19 Apr

@DaishonKnight come to Illinois state baby, it'll be worth it i promise. My whole sorority wants you :)

Will Beck @_WillBeck 20 Apr

@DaishonKnight if you come to Illinois State i can personally guarantee you your 72 virgins and more if you want them. #RedbirdNation

Nicki Vitro @nicki_vitro 19 Apr

@DaishonKnight ill show you my **** come to ISU ;-) enjoy your visit

Well, if he goes to Bloomington, things will return to Normal for Illinois State.

72 virgins AND ****?????

I fear that It's Biondi that's holding back our recruiting efforts AGAIN.

It's amazing the condition these athletes are in. Even in my prime I could never have handled more than 66-67 virgins. And hell, I would have needed 2-3 days for that

I'll keep updating this until we fill those last two spots:

Offers:

-Hakim Saintil, PG: 5-11, 170, Roselle Catholic HS, Roselle, NJ. Offers: SLU and Fairfield. Possible offers: Rhode Island, South Carolina, Cincinnati, and SMU.

-Jordan Strawberry, PG: 6-1, 170, Mater Dei HS, Santa Ana, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Riverside, and at least 2 others.

-Daishon Knight, PG-SG: 6-1, 170, Odessa CC, Odessa, TX. Offers: SLU, Murray State, Illinois State. Possible offers: Creighton, Colorado State.

-Randy Onwuasor, PG-SG: 6-3, 190, Inglewood HS. Offers: SLU, UC-Irvine, Cal-Fullerton, at least 2 others. Interest from Florida State, Seton Hall, Arkansas, UNLV, and Tulane.

-Ibrahim Djambo, C: 6-10, 240, Three Rivers CC, Poplar Bluff, MO. Offers: SLU, Austin Peay, Clemson, Detroit, Illinois State, Kansas State, Loyola-Chicago, Morehead State, SEMO, SIUC, Southern Miss, and Washington State.

Others:

-Achraf Yacoubou, SG: 6-4, 210, Villanova. Interest from SLU and Pitt

-Brett Jolly, PF-C: 6-10, Carroll HS, Southlake, TX. Offers: Weber State. Interest from SLU, Belmont, Bucknell, Lehigh, Furman, North Texas, Penn, Tulsa, Sam Houston State, Wichita State.

We need to get in ONWUASORUS WRECKZ face and be like look, mang, we have offers open to four PGs, including you. You say you want to play PG, we obviously want and will have minutes for a PG. Two badass senior PGs (JJ and MM) you can learn from, and then the keys are yours. Fuoking sign the sh!t or it might not be available next week.

I WANT ONWUASORUS WRECKZ.

I knew posting Knight's retweets would keep this thread lively. Good work, everyone.

I'm not going to pretend I've seen more than some raw video on these guys. I'm not going to pretend I know what an 18-year-old from Southern California or a 20-year-old from Mali currently in Ozark territory are thinking. Any opinions I have on these guys are simply the result of reading the scouting reports and relevant articles, looking at stats, watching a little video, and checking their Twitter feeds. That's it. And based on that research, I'd love to see us get Djambo and Onwuasor. Some thoughts on where each might stand:

-Djambo: If I had to guess, I'd say the favorite is Clemson. They are very, very high on him, he visited with another African big, and I never take for granted what a huge athletic program can pull together for a recruit they like. If it doesn't come together there, or he's worried about sharing with the other guy (who seems to have bigger-name programs after him), I'd think SLU is in a great spot for him. Southern Miss, SIUC, and Loyola-Chicago were his other visits.

-Onwuasor: I thought we might have a commitment by now from him. It seems like a lot of schools got involved in a short amount of time, including UNLV, Arkansas, Florida State, Tulane, and Seton Hall. I could see all those schools being attractive for different reasons. The fact that he didn't appear to be ready to commit right after his visit has me wondering where all these other ones stand in terms of offers, visits, etc. The window may be closing.

-Strawberry: We seem to be the favorite. Would he commit this weekend and sign immediately? Like some others just said, there's something to be said for a kid who has won so much at such a high level of high school play. His numbers aren't huge but he's distributed the ball to 4- and 5-star recruits for the past 3 years. There are some question marks, like I mentioned above, that make me still lean toward Onwuasor. But I wouldn't be disappointed with landing Strawberry.

-Saintil: He's said so little about his recruitment in the past couple weeks, I'm getting the feeling prep school may be in his future.

-Jolly: Strikes me as a back-up plan if Djambo (and possibly other bigs) don't work out. Everything says "project" here and I don't see him bringing anything new to the roster.

-Yacoubou: Haven't seen any names mentioned besides us and Pitt, and no new info since his announcement. On paper, Pitt must have the edge, being in state and a big ACC program.

-Knight: I think he's going elsewhere. Everything seems to be about Murray State, Illinois State, and a couple others. Colorado State seems to like him. We just don't seem to be in the conversation and our coeds aren't shamelessly throwing themselves at him (good job, girls).

I just shook hands with 8-time all-star Daryl Strawberry, walking down the SLU mall with son Jordan and a couple other dudes. 8-time all star, 335 homers & exactly 1000 rbi's (I looked it up). 4 worlds series rings too. Friendly guy.

Jordan may be just a tiny bit larger than MM, but not much. He's listed at PG: 6-1, 170, but I'm 6' 1" and he aint as big as me, fo sho. He is slightly more physically stout than MM, but not by much. Daryl is all of 6' 6" and pretty solid, so I guess Jordan takes after Mom ... or maybe Jordan will have another growth spurt to approach his dad.

heres something to keep an eye out for, jp macura. he has SLU high on his list for a while. I was not interested mainly because I didnt want another 6'5 white shooter, but I have seen 3 recruiting experts talk very very highly of him the past week at these aau tourneys.

Well good morning JP Macura. #shooteralert. #exclusiverun

@EvanDanielsFOX: Not many knock down shooters out there anymore. One (J.P. Macura) stuck out this weekend. Searching for more.”

@TempoWBR: Creighton's Greg McDermott has also watched 2014 sharpshooter JP Macura all weekend. Macura's recruitment is about to take off”

and I couldn't find it but another tweet saying like hes the best player in the showcase. talking about how hes an automatic shooter. Also didnt we offer a sean o'mara?

@RecruitingESPN @ny2lasports Sean O'Mara is a big body center that has displayed great passing ability from the low post, high post and skip