C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

The irony of this situation is that the top 7 teams in the A-10 this year are superior to the C-7 schools.

I want in for the exposure and the potential rivalries with other Mid-West teams.

However being dictated to by the likes of Seton Hall, Providence, St John's and DePaul rubs me the wrong way.

I

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="347760" data-time="1362103593"><p>

<br />

Except that elongating the time frame introduces more opportunity for variability in the outcome. A lot can happen in that intervening year. That really worries me.</p></blockquote>

Once teams are announced nothing ever happens. Name a situation where a team has not been allowed in after getting accepted. i dont think that has ever happened. If we are announced on Tuesday you don't need to worry anymore.

Really? SLU is a much better geographic fit, Omaha is a smaller market than St. Louis, Creighton is a smaller school than SLU, SLU has a higher-ranked national university, and SLU has far superior facilities that are on campus. SLU is also a better team on the court right now. I am not saying Creighton isn't worthy, but I don't see how Creighton is a better fit than SLU.

better basketball program past 10 years and they get 17,000 to go to their games regularly.

yes we have better facilities and bigger school but we also had like 4,000 people show up for some games in our brand new arena.

There is a reason why everyone at SLU thinks SLU is a better fit, everyone at CU thinks CU is a better fit.

If you go to a neutral fan base, they want CU because they have a bigger name in college basketball outside of this past month.

Once teams are announced nothing ever happens. Name a situation where a team has not been allowed in after getting accepted. i dont think that has ever happened. If we are announced on Tuesday you don't need to worry anymore.

Exactly. If we are announced on Tuesday, all is good in the world. It doesn't matter that it won't be for over a year; recruits, marketing, coaching hires, etc. will be instantly changed for the better. This is a game-changer. If SLU's name isn't called on Tuesday, then we may forever be stuck in the land of the have-nots. This isn't just about basketball; this is about the prestige and marketing of the school. Has anyone noticed what has happened to SLU's and Marquette's respective rankings and admissions since they left the old C-USA?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="347760" data-time="1362103593"><p>

<br />

Except that elongating the time frame introduces more opportunity for variability in the outcome. A lot can happen in that intervening year. That really worries me.</p></blockquote>

I do not have knowledge of conference realignments, but typically, the delta of variability is a function of time (like gamma), especially its magnitude. Now, I know that I am being silly looking at this through a purely quantitative lens, but clearly, there is more opportunity for unanticipated and unexpected change in outcomes the longer the time frame to conclusion. That said, obviously I hope you are right and it is logical to conclude that your are, but, in purely scientific terms...it is hard being a Billiken fan and you know what that means. ;)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bk18" data-cid="347766" data-time="1362104054"><p>

<br />

<br />

better basketball program past 10 years and they get 17,000 to go to their games regularly. <br />

<br />

yes we have better facilities and bigger school but we also had like 4,000 people show up for some games in our brand new arena. <br />

<br />

There is a reason why everyone at SLU thinks SLU is a better fit, everyone at CU thinks CU is a better fit.<br />

If you go to a neutral fan base. They want CU because they have a bigger name in college basketball outside of this past month.</p></blockquote>.

It depends on the criteria that you are using.

The first post made SLU look more appealing.

Your post made Creighton more appealing.

We dont know which criteria the committee is using.

Has anyone noticed what has happened to SLU's and Marquette's respective rankings and admissions since they left the old C-USA?

+1000

This is huge for the University outside of basketball. Admissions numbers will skyrocket with this kind of TV exposure etc.

I do not have knowledge of conference realignments, but typically, the delta of variability is a function of time (like gamma), especially its magnitude. Now, I know that I am being silly looking at this through a purely quantitative lens, but clearly, there is more opportunity for unanticipated and unexpected change in outcomes the longer the time frame to conclusion. That said, obviously I hope you are right and it is logical to conclude that your are, but, in purely scientific terms...it is hard being a Billiken fan and you know what that means. ;)

True, but there is only upside to being named as someone who is joining in 2014, even if for some reason we never join.

True, but there is only upside to being named as someone who is joining in 2014, even if for some reason we never join.

Agreed. I obviously think kshoe is right, but as my good friend and fellow alum, Walt, always says, a day without worry is like a day without sunshine. Clearly, I have been a Billiken fan for way too many decades.

It means I check my magic 8-ball. There...we are included in 2014.

I'm looking forward to reading a statement from Chris May on this subject. It would be nice to still play Butler and Xavier next year and add games with say Georgetown and Villanova.

One hyphenated word - non-conference. Our non-con SOS would be very high.

It means I check my magic 8-ball. There...we are included in 2014.

Now that is awesome!!! Why didn't you pull that thing out weeks ago - would have saved a lot of debate and internet bandwidth!!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="347769" data-time="1362104369"><p>

<br />

I do not have knowledge of conference realignments, but typically, the delta of variability is a function of time (like gamma), especially its magnitude. Now, I know that I am being silly looking at this through a purely quantitative lens, but clearly, there is more opportunity for unanticipated and unexpected change in outcomes the longer the time frame to conclusion. That said, obviously I hope you are right and it is logical to conclude that your are, but, in purely scientific terms...it is hard being a Billiken fan and you know what that means. ;) </p></blockquote>

If you want to go there, consider an invite on Tuesday for 2014 equivalent to a forward contract on the big east. No, we won't "own" the big east the way the 2013 members will but we will be locked into it and our long term exposures will effectively be the same. Once invited we will be as good as in.

Tuesday is a big big day. Hopefully a good day.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="347769" data-time="1362104369"><p>

<br />

I do not have knowledge of conference realignments, but typically, the delta of variability is a function of time (like gamma), especially its magnitude. Now, I know that I am being silly looking at this through a purely quantitative lens, but clearly, there is more opportunity for unanticipated and unexpected change in outcomes the longer the time frame to conclusion. That said, obviously I hope you are right and it is logical to conclude that your are, but, in purely scientific terms...it is hard being a Billiken fan and you know what that means. ;) </p></blockquote>

If you want to go there, consider an invite on Tuesday for 2014 equivalent to a forward contract on the big east. No, we won't "own" the big east the way the 2013 members will but we will be locked into it and our long term exposures will effectively be the same. Once invited we will be as good as in.

Tuesday is a big big day. Hopefully a good day.

Now that I understand.

I can see them staying at 9 for the long haul. I fully expect us to get bent over

You're nothing but a typical Billiken fan...which would make you just like me. You know the old saying, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

Then there's that forward contract thing...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="347790" data-time="1362108168"><p>

<br />

You're nothing but a typical Billiken fan...which would make you just like me. You know the old saying, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."<br />

<br />

Then there's that forward contract thing...</p></blockquote>

+1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Westy03" data-cid="347787" data-time="1362107761"><p>

I can see them staying at 9 for the long haul. I fully expect us to get bent over</p></blockquote>

The skeptic in me feels the same way, but conference realignment is all about $$. That means they need 12 teams to satisfy a new Fox sports network. That gives me hope that we are in with the final 12. Picking Dayton over us, if they would pick an Eastern team to go for. 10 to 12 makes no sense market wise.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="347790" data-time="1362108168"><p>

<br />

You're nothing but a typical Billiken fan...which would make you just like me. You know the old saying, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."<br />

<br />

Then there's that forward contract thing...</p></blockquote>

Hey, I'm as sceptical as most until Tuesday. If Tuesday goes well though its over.