C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

As a SLU fan, I'm always waiting for the other shoe. The second-to-last paragraph doesn't really say much of anything. "While Butler, Xavier and, most likely, Creighton are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league." It doesn't make me feel great that Notre Dame - who really has nothing to do with any of this - gets 5 paragraphs in the middle and we're relegated to one sentence.

Plus, I'm not sure we can trust this McMurphy character. He's been known to stretch the truth when it's convenient.

main3_nocigs.gif

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the grand scheme of things, the difference in 1,000,000 isn't much. That is what I don't understand about this.

Could not agree more. If we had received an invite to join in 2013 we would not have decline the invite over a "measly" one million dollars.

The bottom line is that we have not been officially invited to join and that will remain the case until there is a press release from the Big East or Fox or SLU stating that we have.

Sorry. I felt really positive about our chances until this announcement came out like it did. Now the old it is hard being a Billiken stuff is kicking in again for me.

Don't worry about these quotes. Note that Chris May used the carefully chosen word "official" in his statement. Even Xavier's and Butler's AD's have made similar statements within the last week. It is just part of the game.

As a SLU fan, I'm always waiting for the other shoe. The second-to-last paragraph doesn't really say much of anything. "While Butler, Xavier and, most likely, Creighton are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league." It doesn't make me feel great that Notre Dame - who really has nothing to do with any of this - gets 5 paragraphs in the middle and we're relegated to one sentence.

Plus, I'm not sure we can trust this McMurphy character. He's been known to stretch the truth when it's convenient.

main3_nocigs.gif

The ESPN article was written by 3 people including Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil. While ESPN could certainly be wrong it's not like this is some blog where somebody is just pure speculating, they genuinely have sources that have told them this is going to happen.

The ESPN article was written by 3 people including Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil. While ESPN could certainly be wrong it's not like this is some blog where somebody is just pure speculating, they generally believe this is going to happen.

I know. I'm just not going to start celebrating until Tuesday.

I know. I'm just not going to start celebrating until Tuesday.

I agree with that. But I also don't agree with the people that are turning on the "it's tough to be a Billiken" mindset no matter what comes out. Things look good but until Tuesday we won't know for sure.

Not a Creighton sympathizer, but their baseball, soccer and basketball facilities are top-notch. That's why they're going.

Have you seen the Billiken Sports Complex/Compound/Center? CBC has better facilities.

Better than Hermann? I find that hard to believe. There is a reason we've hosted Final Fours. Granted, I'd say our baseball field isn't exactly Rosenblatt II, but our program is at least trending upwards.

I love May's non-comment comment .. "we have had no offical discussions with the C7." Of course not. Now, on the more important unofficial side? Who knows. It's like whispering in someone's ear versus sending them an email --- an email is an official, savable, and SHARABLE record. And incriminatinbg evidence.

I was initially disappointed when I saw the scoll announcment on ESPN last night but like any good theater or drama, I will wait for the final word to comedown whenever on Tuesday. I like being in, no matter when that happens --- either next year or the year after. I guess not being in means sticking with the A10 but let's relook at that as it stands: Fordham, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, La Salle, St. Joe's, George Washington, Richmond, VCU, Duquesne and us. No Butler. No Xavier. No Dayton. No Temple. No Charlotte. Potentially, no Umass (football). We are currently 26 in the KenPom. VCU is overrated at 21. La Salle is 51 but having an abnormal year by La Salle standards. Richmond is 88. St. Joe's 91. GeeDub 104. The Bonnies 106. Rhode 166. Duquesne 228. Fordham 247. At least some of the C7 dregs have some more recent and better histroy than most in this bunch. But they are more aligned philosophically then the calls that will scream to put us in the Valley. I don't believe replacing Creighton is what I would want to settle for.

I would rather not have this distraction now. Rather wait until summer. This team, right now, can do some serious damage in the NCAAs. No need to cloud the heads of the staff, administration etc. with something that will take place after most of the key players have graduated.

Not that what I want matters in any way whatsoever.

Better than Hermann? I find that hard to believe. There is a reason we've hosted Final Fours. Granted, I'd say our baseball field isn't exactly Rosenblatt II, but our program is at least trending upwards.

Their soccer stadium is WAY better. Theirs is what SLU should have.

There's a $2 million fee to be paid to the A 10 if less than 1 year's notice is provided, so reported. Maybe SLU and others dont want to pay the $$, even with the better TV money it may be less than a wash.

If we risk a chance of not being in this conference over the $2 million fee, it could be the biggest mistake in SLU basketball history.

Technically, it's called the College Cup for soccer, and The Herm has only hosted that once ( in 2006, and probably never again because of the weather situation and the food poisoning that UC-Santa Barbara and UCLA got from their post-game meals...talk to anyone at the St. Louis Sports Commission for more).

And yes, Creighton has better soccer facilities. They might not have the history or tradition, but they have an incredible soccer facility. CU got a huge upgrade when they poached Bob Warming from us as well.

Really? SLU is a much better geographic fit, Omaha is a smaller market than St. Louis, Creighton is a smaller school than SLU, SLU has a higher-ranked national university, and SLU has far superior facilities that are on campus. SLU is also a better team on the court right now. I am not saying Creighton isn't worthy, but I don't see how Creighton is a better fit than SLU.

Why should they consider size of school? Duke is one of the smallest ACCs. Isn't Butler really small?

I've never been to Creighton's arena, but I've only heard good things. If you're into quantity, it certainly trumps Chaifetz--although I really like Chaifetz.

Higher-ranked university, okay. But is Creighton poor academically?

Omaha is a smaller market, but Creighton doesn't near the in-market competition. It's not like it's hard to get a SLU ticket. I'm wondering--I do not know--if Omaha's version of KPLR televises Creighton games regularly.

I love May's non-comment comment .. "we have had no offical discussions with the C7." Of course not. Now, on the more important unofficial side? Who knows. It's like whispering in someone's ear versus sending them an email --- an email is an official, savable, and SHARABLE record. And incriminatinbg evidence.

I was initially disappointed when I saw the scoll announcment on ESPN last night but like any good theater or drama, I will wait for the final word to comedown whenever on Tuesday. I like being in, no matter when that happens --- either next year or the year after. I guess not being in means sticking with the A10 but let's relook at that as it stands: Fordham, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, La Salle, St. Joe's, George Washington, Richmond, VCU, Duquesne and us. No Butler. No Xavier. No Dayton. No Temple. No Charlotte. Potentially, no Umass (football). We are currently 26 in the KenPom. VCU is overrated at 21. La Salle is 51 but having an abnormal year by La Salle standards. Richmond is 88. St. Joe's 91. GeeDub 104. The Bonnies 106. Rhode 166. Duquesne 228. Fordham 247. At least some of the C7 dregs have some more recent and better histroy than most in this bunch. But they are more aligned philosophically then the calls that will scream to put us in the Valley. I don't believe replacing Creighton is what I would want to settle for.

Why would the MVC even come up? If we're named on Tuesday, and we should as Fox is calling the shots, to be added in '14-'15 season, we're sure as hell not going to leave the A-10 for a year and pay exit fees to join the MVC for a year? Am I reading something wrong here, Taj? Did someone suggest we should replace Creighton in the MVC?

It would be nice for a weekend baseball series, but not a Tuesday night via Southwest chug & slug fest. Creighton also has the luxury of playing all their home games at the new-ish Sam Waterson Field at TD Ameritrade Park (home of the College World Series).

Not a Creighton sympathizer, but their baseball, soccer and basketball facilities are top-notch. That's why they're going.

Have you seen the Billiken Sports Complex/Compound/Center? CBC has better facilities.

I haven't seen any of the facilities besides on TV. Quite frankly, I'm not too worried about facilities because Chaifetz appears to be a top-notch facility. So from a basketball standpoint, I consider Creighton and SLU to be a wash there.

I guess I just have the basketball mindset. Would I ever travel to Omaha, NE to watch Xavier baseball? Unless they are playing in the CWS, no. And I prefer baseball to basketball, in general.

Give me the better basketball program in the better city, where more alums reside. Travel logistics are better for St. Louis as well.

In short, I value the quality of the basketball team and geography as factors 1. and 2. And, in my opinion, SLU wins with both of those factors.

Technically, it's called the College Cup for soccer, and The Herm has only hosted that once ( in 2006, and probably never again because of the weather situation and the food poisoning that UC-Santa Barbara and UCLA got from their post-game meals...talk to anyone at the St. Louis Sports Commission for more).

And yes, Creighton has better soccer facilities. They might not have the history or tradition, but they have an incredible soccer facility. CU got a huge upgrade when they poached Bob Warming from us as well.

The idea that Creighton is getting in a year before us because of a soccer stadium or baseball field is ludicrous. They are getting in a year earlier (potentially) because they have no buyout to get out of the MVC. It's that simple.

Don't worry about these quotes. Note that Chris May used the carefully chosen word "official" in his statement. Even Xavier's and Butler's AD's have made similar statements within the last week. It is just part of the game.

My mind Knows I shouldn't be worried, my heart after years of disappointment with this kind of stuff doesn't want to set itself up for a major letdown.

Still, for the life of me I cannot figure out the attraction w/ Creighton over us. Ok, big crowds in Omaha, nice big public arena, nice soccer stadium, play baseball in CWS stadium, etc. They've had a couple of good years due to Team McDermott (father and son), but as someone proved above they've done just so so in the MVC over the past 10 years. Add in the bad location for non revenue teams and the small TV market, it just makes no sense. The only thing that does make sense is the good ol' boys club. The CU pres sits on MU's board. It's now what you've done, but who've you done.

Why should they consider size of school? Duke is one of the smallest ACCs. Isn't Butler really small?

I've never been to Creighton's arena, but I've only heard good things. If you're into quantity, it certainly trumps Chaifetz--although I really like Chaifetz.

Higher-ranked university, okay. But is Creighton poor academically?

Omaha is a smaller market, but Creighton doesn't near the in-market competition. It's not like it's hard to get a SLU ticket. I'm wondering--I do not know--if Omaha's version of KPLR televises Creighton games regularly.

Butler is very small. Dayton is large as far as Catholic schools go, for example, but I don't think that should give them any advantage.

As far as rankings go, Creighton - like Xavier and Butler - falls under U.S. News' regional rankings for the Midwest. Creighton is ranked #1 in the Midwest, Butler #2 and Xavier tied for #4. Pretty impressive. I don't think SLU has any sort of academic edge over Creighton.

(BTW, Villanova is ranked #1 in the North rankings, Providence tied for #4.)

-I hope the Team is not worried about this stuff, Crews and staff should not even address it with them, you guys go play the games we worry about this stuff

-IF we get in will there always be, or for a while, a second class bias since not in the initial group?

The idea that Creighton is getting in a year before us because of a soccer stadium or baseball field is ludicrous. They are getting in a year earlier (potentially) because they have no buyout to get out of the MVC. It's that simple.

Is it your contention, Kshoe, that we're not joining next year because we don't want to pony up an extra mil to get out of the A-10 early? If this be the case and the C7 doesn't say on Tuesday that SLU and UD will come on board in '14-15, someone's head should roll for being so short sighted and miserly. They should leave nothing to chance in this deal.

We will pay the exit fee, even if it's $2,000,000. The same article says TV revenue could be $3,000,000 per school in the first year; even if the newcomers won't get that amount, it won't be less to the degree that a $2,000,000 exit fee would not be worth it. Dr. Chaifetz could stroke one check to make that happen. The difference between what we paid Majerus under his contract and what we'll pay the next guy might reach $2,000,000 over the course of a single contract (or less, possibly).

This is the biggest moment in SLU athletic history. Don't it up for a one-time fee.

Is it your contention, Kshoe, that we're not joining next year because we don't want to pony up an extra mil to get out of the A-10 early? If this be the case and the C7 doesn't say on Tuesday that SLU and UD will come on board in '14-15, someone's head should roll for being so short sighted and miserly. They should leave nothing to chance in this deal.
We will pay the exit fee, even if it's $2,000,000. The same article says TV revenue could be $3,000,000 per school in the first year; even if the newcomers won't get that amount, it won't be less to the degree that a $2,000,000 exit fee would not be worth it. Dr. Chaifetz could stroke one check to make that happen. The difference between what we paid Majerus under his contract and what we'll pay the next guy might reach $2,000,000 over the course of a single contract (or less, possibly).

This is the biggest moment in SLU athletic history. Don't it up for a one-time fee.

-while I HOPE we are not second class because of an extra $1mil, it is easy to spend other people's money

And I thought I read somewhere that the conference is willing to loan schools money to pay the exit fee.