A10 Games (March 2 --- Madness Month) (54-21 .720)

Taj79

Next to last weekend of the regular season. Trends are changing again. Some of the middle-of-the-pack teams are realizing either to ramp it up (Dayton/Richmond) or all is lost (Charlotte) and time to go home. The Wizardofwestpine has weighed in with his Bills- by-6-at-GeeDub so here comes Saturday's selections:

Saint Louis @ GeeDub: have to get to .500, have to get to Brooklyn, have to saw Armwood off at knees, have to empty bomble's wallet, have to pass "Go" and collect $200. Bills.

#20 Butler at VCU on ESPN2 at noon EST: Butler is as smart a team as can be. I just don't think they can handle the VCU press for a full game. And it's in Richmond and it's VCU's last opportunity to make another statement game before the A10 tourney. VCU.

Rhode Island at Temple. No contest. Here come the Owls on a late season, NCAA/A10 tourney prepping run. Temple.

Duquesne at La Salle. Ho-hum for the 'Splorers. Is there any reason to get up for this game at the dreaded Gola Masoleum? No. But they better not sleep on the Dukes, they did beat Temple on their last trip to Philly. La Salle.

Umass @ Xavier on CBS Sports Net at 2 EST: On talent alone, Umass. Given that Xavier should have beaten VCU and did beat Memphis at Cintas, Xavier. Xavier.

Richmond at Dayton: hoo-boy. Two teams trying to head in the same direction. Dayton still 13th man in 12-man invitational. Need to capitalize on Charlotte upset. At the Dayton Decibel Dungeon. Dayton has to win because of next game. Dayton needs it more than Richmond. Dayton.

Charlotte at St. Bonaventure; the "next" game noted above. Dayton chasing the Bonnies for #12. But wait! Here comes Charlotte, dropping like a rock. And Dayton owns the head-to-head with Charlotte. And the Bonnies want to defend title in Brooklyn. Magical times for Sweater Vest U. The Bonnies.

Lastly, Fordham at St. Joe's: are dem Fightin' Martelli's sunk? Do they pack it in? Coulkd very well. But it's Fordham. Cimon, man. St. Joe's.

Bills win and a Top Four finish is clinched.

Looks like we match this week Mr. T. So I will just add some points for some additional perspective.

VCU by 7 over But.....Dawgs in the dawghouse

X by 4 over UMass....all for one and won for X

Temp by 12 over RI.... Owls trying to dance with a weak partner

LaS by17 over Duq.....do the dookies even show up?

SLU by 6 over GW......11 is heaven

Day by 5 over Rich.....Day flies over the web.

St. J by 15 over Ford....Hawk flapping finally pays off against bottom feeder

St. B by 6 over Char....Bonnies are mean in Olean

The big game in the A-10 this week is VCU/But. I mentioned in an earlier thread that a But loss could create a mini collapse for But. A loss on Sat would be 2 in a row and I would probably favor UMass in the next game....a 3rd loss would setup the final game with X and while But would be favored over X....But would be feeling heavy pressure...If But wins 1 of the next 3 they will be fine ...an interesting finish for But.

LaS & Temp cling to Big Dance hopes....I think both need to win out and then get to the A-10 championship game. Highly improbable both do that. A long shot either one does that. Who ever draws the A-10 bye will have the advantage....which now favors LaS but I still think reaching the A-10 championship game is crucial for these teams.

@waldo -- what spread? The Vegas line (which the Baltimore Sun refuses to publish for college sports) or against the Wiz's spread? I've always just done straight up, less complicated, and likely easier. I started doing this to try and figure out conference standings for me going to the A10 tourney in AC. Spread and betting do not interest me much and M+rs. Taj is tight with the money, among other things, and quick with the baseball bat upside the head, my head. The big, fat head.

I suspect I would be 100% perfect against the spread ... until i laid real money down and then it would go 180 degrees in the other direction.

@waldo -- what spread? The Vegas line (which the Baltimore Sun refuses to publish for college sports) or against the Wiz's spread? I've always just done straight up, less complicated, and likely easier. I started doing this to try and figure out conference standings for me going to the A10 tourney in AC. Spread and betting do not interest me much and M+rs. Taj is tight with the money, among other things, and quick with the baseball bat upside the head, my head. The big, fat head.

I suspect I would be 100% perfect against the spread ... until i laid real money down and then it would go 180 degrees in the other direction.

-Taj, this isn't the right thing for them to do, are the publishers religious or something??? ;)

@cowboy -- invoke this question again come fall because I do not recall if this is policy with college football as well, seeing as I don't have the same attention span for college football as I do college basketball. Plus, Twerp U. at Maryland doesn't play football (real football) anyway.

One more thing ... a standard, tabloid newspaper page is 11 inches by 22 inches. Making a standard page 242 square inches. Deduct out large picture and you lose like 42 square inches. Headlines, bylines, graphics, league standings, etc all take away from a page. In Friday's Sun Sports section, there were 7.5 pages devoted to sports. The entire college basketball section was one page, 242 square inches. Of the 242, 35 were devoted to a misplaced high school football all-star game (Big 33) article, nearly 42 inches were devoted to a wrap-up of both mens and women's teams playing from Maryland (Towson, Mount St. Mary's, UMBC, Bowie State), and a feature article of almost 88 square inches was devoted to a local Towson basketball story (Yawn). The national scene got all of 40 square inches. Thi si stypical for college basketball here every day.

On the flip side, college LACROSSE received two full pages and half of another ... a full 605 square inches of print eclipsing the sport March is devoted to by only a 15 to 1 margin. I hate the Baltimore Sun.

Thanks .. needed to rant and rave. I feel better.

Wiz, if lasalle wins out and makes the final they will have an rpi of around 20. I think they will be in if they win 3 more games in any fashion, an likely still in if they only win 2 more games.

They will not win out, they are destined to end their regular season with a loss on the road next Saturday.

Seven and one yesterday (missed the Umass upset at Xavier but so did the Wiz; that's why they call them upsets) toraise the record to 61 and 22 and gaining .015 percentage points for an overall .735 percentage.

Last week of the regular season.