Serious question: Who do I write to ask the band to stop playing the Gator Chomp?

BillikenLaw

Can anyone give me an address?

Maybe if enough of us write them, they will stop.

I love our band, they are an invaluable component of the gameday experience, and they (frankly) bring more school spirit to the games than our modest student section does.

But the Gator Chomp is cringe-inducing, embarrassing, and makes absolutely no sense for SLU. And they seem to do it at every. Single. Game.

So who do I write about this?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love our band, they are an invaluable component of the gameday experience, and they (frankly) bring more school spirit to the games than our modest student section does.

But the Gator Chomp is cringe-inducing, embarrassing, and makes absolutely no sense for SLU. And they seem to do it at every. Single. Game.

If you are going to rip off Billiken_Law, you gotta throw in a "Coulda had Gregory" at the end.

It's not the gator chomp...it's the Billiken chomp

Band doesn't play gator chomp. Band plays a song under the piece called Blasters from the Masters. If you don't like the gator chomp, close you eyes on Saturday. You might actually hear a song that fits right in on a 30-sec timeout.

+1 isn't the real gator chomp along with the Florida fight song anyways?

Are you suggesting that the band play the song without the chomping action of cheerleaders or students?

Yes, it's a perfectly fine song and as mentioned before it fits in great for timeouts.I think we can come up with something better to go along with it

If you are going to rip off Billiken_Law, you gotta throw in a "Coulda had Gregory" at the end.

My first thought was WOW Marquette Law was gracing us with his presence but alas it was not to be....

We haven't had a good troll 'round these parts since Phan and Posty were outed and Metz was neutered. Even Cheesy has been tamed.......

My first thought was WOW Marquette Law was gracing us with his presence but alas it was not to be....

We haven't had a good troll 'round these parts since Phan and Posty were outed and Metz was neutered. Even Cheesy has been tamed.......

+1

Fortunately, this board has become very good at policing itself - quickly identifying trolls and flushing them. The services of the SPUMAC mod are not needed. ;) The night of the Memphis game was classic, when phan/posty/MoStateBear went into complete meltdown after SPUMAC flopped and the Bills won on the same night. jimbo and others delivered a big beatdown.

BTW, Speaking of "Coulda had Gregory" - I wonder if Dayton fans are glad they had Gregory. I gotta think not. Did he make the Dance there? I don't recall, maybe once. He had some talent and teams that looked like they could make it, but they had a knack of choking. Now, last year and this year, you see the remnants of what Gregory left and it is not pretty. He didn't leave that program in very good shape. Not sure what GTech saw in him.

Every time I see the gator chomp I start to get excited thinking that Teddy Dupay is going to gome sprinting out of the locker room and start raining threes.

Then I realize we arent Flordia and I think Dupay may be in jail.

Who knows, maybe if we join the C7 we can ditch the gator chomp and start having the Billiken flap an arm the entire game like St Joes.

As has already been stated, the song actually has nothing to do with a Gator Chomp. At some point in time, somebody confused this song with the theme from Jaws and started the Gator Chomp thing. At just about every game I attend, upon playing the song, I turn to somebody and say something to the effect of "When will those people realize that this isn't the theme from Jaws?"

As has already been stated, the song actually has nothing to do with a Gator Chomp. At some point in time, somebody confused this song with the theme from Jaws and started the Gator Chomp thing. At just about every game I attend, upon playing the song, I turn to somebody and say something to the effect of "When will those people realize that this isn't the theme from Jaws?"

i thought they were one and the same tune, like "god save the queen" and "my country is of thee".

i am thinking desmet too young to have seen the original "jaws"? or has "jaws" mixed up with the bond films "moonraker" and "the spy who loved me" and is thinking richard kiel as the bad guy in those movies so is thinking of the shirley bassie song "moonraker" or the carley simon song, "nobody does it better" which was the song from "the spy who loved me".

My guess:

The cheerleaders hate it but do it because the band and students do and they think they have to.

The band hates it but does it because the cheerleaders and students do and they think they have to.

The students don't get/hate it but do it because the cheerleaders and band do and they think they are supposed to.

And the rest of the crowd just sits there thinking, "WTF are those kids doing and why?"

But since no one coordinates or talks to each other about it, it goes on and on.

Blasters from the Masters:

http://youtu.be/KpbiQH91fis

Theme from Jaws

http://youtu.be/ZvCI-gNK_y4?t=36s

Gator Chomp (theme from Jaws with a flourish on the end)http://youtu.be/DFoBNOCptEE?t=29s

Different songs and I only went to one home game this year but I think our band plays both

Blasters from the Masters:

http://youtu.be/KpbiQH91fis

Theme from Jaws

http://youtu.be/ZvCI-gNK_y4?t=36s

Gator Chomp (theme from Jaws with a flourish on the end)http://youtu.be/DFoBNOCptEE?t=29s

Different songs and I only went to one home game this year but I think our band plays both

i dont recall our students/band/cheerleaders doing the "chomp" to blasters from the masters. it is the theme from jaws they do the "chomp" to.