UD game is bigger

slu72

I know we're all basking in the glory of trouncing Butler, but the UD game looms large as well. If not larger. The Bills have to sustain this momentum. They can't get full of themselves. They can't take the Flyers, or just about any A-10 team for granted. If there was any thing good to take from the RI game it was any lapses in effort is the kiss of death.

The W over Butler was huge, but it's got to be the building block game for the Bills to go on a run all the way to March Madness. Saturday is not the time to develop a case of head swelling. Hopefully, the crowd enthusiasm is at the same high level. It's time for the fans to show visitors that the Fetz is not a hospitable place. For those of you were there last night you had to sense that crowd played a part in the W. It certainly appeared that way watching it on TV. And the Flyers SVU unit travels well. Granted they may be on the gray side of life, but they don't sit on their hands. Our older fans should take note. But it's up to the students to bring it as loud, as colorful (loved that blue tux outfit), and as large as it was for Butler.

And lest we forget this game is about more than just a W. It's time the Bills showed the elitist C7 folks that we belong in the top10 and not the UD Flyers. Go Bills!!

After last night, Dayton has one thing written on it -- TRAP GAME. One day turnaround. Beating a Top Ten team hangover. Dayton coming off a loss and not liking us to begin with. If this is indeed our rival, as some suggested in another thread, --- danger, danger Will Robinson!!! All the hard work and cred earned in last night's game (which was magnificent on CBS Sports, thank you!) will evaporate quicker than you can say "Rudy Flyer."

I did not post last night but was glued to the set all the same. Hope you good old SOBs had that toast and drink in our absence. I say yes because it worked. I said to a few buddies how can we be ahead at half with literally no points from Evans, Mitchell, McCall and Ellis? It is a team that can have some player, some other player(s), step to the fore every night. Some observatiosn from a couch in Maryland:

If Loe is a weak insider player, Smith is even weaker. I thought Rob had his way on the inside in the first half and that is a really hard thing for Rob to do.

While making Clarke work his ass off for everything, not letting Dunham become an option was also key. And stated pregame, Clarke is the primary scorer AND point guard and I don't think you can do both well in the same night. I also pointed out that if anyone would pass to a teammate, it would be Jones. Between them they had half of Butler's 14 assists. While our defense was indeed suffocating, I thought the Butler players did not use their screens well enough. Almost every high screen set by a Bulldog for Clarke was easily stepped over and through by McCall and Jett.

Was not impressed with Butler's bench coming into the game. Even less impressed after the game. But fully expect them to come out to "punk" us in our return matchup in Indy.

Jones was no match for Evans down low in the second half. Dwayne's second half reminded me of some of the interior play we saw last year from Conklin. He scared me early once again with foul trouble and the second one was a phantom call. But neither Jones nor Marshall beat Dwayne for all A10 honors -- just can't see it.

Issues? Biggest one to me is can we get a rebound? We only lost the board battle 35 to 28 according to ESPN but it seemed like more. If we disallow those rebounds and make a few more shots, we could've won by 30! But the total game was amazing. Too bad JJ misses that left-handed baseline slam and DE pops a couple off his legs in closing. Tiose were potenial exclamation points to bring the house down.

Dayton is weak but they rebound well, especially on the offensive end. They rebound 42% of their missed shoits, tops in the conference. Have to stop that. McCall should be able to neutralize Dillard some. Sanford, the transfer from Georgetown, is a slasher. Oliver is a garbage bucket player. Benson has always been somewhat weak in the middle. Dreckenbacher is the latest version of Luke Fabrizeus -- he only seems to shoot the three. Khari Price is nursing a thigh/hamstring problem. The only kid on the whole roster I like and take fo rus would Jalen Robinson but we have to come out intense.

I know we're all basking in the glory of trouncing Butler, but the UD game looms large as well. If not larger. The Bills have to sustain this momentum. They can't get full of themselves. They can't take the Flyers, or just about any A-10 team for granted. If there was any thing good to take from the RI game it was any lapses in effort is the kiss of death.

The W over Butler was huge, but it's got to be the building block game for the Bills to go on a run all the way to March Madness. Saturday is not the time to develop a case of head swelling. Hopefully, the crowd enthusiasm is at the same high level. It's time for the fans to show visitors that the Fetz is not a hospitable place. For those of you were there last night you had to sense that crowd played a part in the W. It certainly appeared that way watching it on TV. And the Flyers SVU unit travels well. Granted they may be on the gray side of life, but they don't sit on their hands. Our older fans should take note. But it's up to the students to bring it as loud, as colorful (loved that blue tux outfit), and as large as it was for Butler.

And lest we forget this game is about more than just a W. It's time the Bills showed the elitist C7 folks that we belong in the top10 and not the UD Flyers. Go Bills!!

Agree, I fear a letdown after our game of the year, wheras Dayton will be coming off a loss @ Xavier and will be angry and focused. It is a big game for them.

We will be 6 pt favorites or so... and like you say we cannot afford to blow it. But I think at home we will keep it going. If this was a road game I would be very concerned. Win this, settle down, then hit the road with our heads on straight against Fordham.

I do not agree that all these games matter that much as to what the C7 Presidents decide.

I think UD is ripe for a beatdown on Saturday. Sure, we're flying high for the moment and might be susceptible to a loss on a short turnaround, but I really saw Dayton's loss at Xavier as a major negative turning point in their season. It was a tense, wire-to-wire game and UD had a chance to end a 32-year losing streak in the Cincinnati against an uncharacteristically average Xavier team. But when push came to shove, they folded. Exhibit A is senior starter Josh Benson sitting on the bench 12 feet from the Dayton huddle during the final timeout of the game:

539181_10100135855676150_610073782_n.jpg

From most accounts, he's a cancer on the team that's getting worse every day.

They're 2-4 in conference, with wins at home vs. Duquesne and Fordham. No one's blowing them out but they're not closing out games.

After last night, Dayton has one thing written on it -- TRAP GAME. One day turnaround. Beating a Top Ten team hangover. Dayton coming off a loss and not liking us to begin with. If this is indeed our rival, as some suggested in another thread, --- danger, danger Will Robinson!!! All the hard work and cred earned in last night's game (which was magnificent on CBS Sports, thank you!) will evaporate quicker than you can say "Rudy Flyer."

I did not post last night but was glued to the set all the same. Hope you good old SOBs had that toast and drink in our absence. I say yes because it worked. I said to a few buddies how can we be ahead at half with literally no points from Evans, Mitchell, McCall and Ellis? It is a team that can have some player, some other player(s), step to the fore every night. Some observatiosn from a couch in Maryland:

If Loe is a weak insider player, Smith is even weaker. I thought Rob had his way on the inside in the first half and that is a really hard thing for Rob to do.

While making Clarke work his ass off for everything, not letting Dunham become an option was also key. And stated pregame, Clarke is the primary scorer AND point guard and I don't think you can do both well in the same night. I also pointed out that if anyone would pass to a teammate, it would be Jones. Between them they had half of Butler's 14 assists. While our defense was indeed suffocating, I thought the Butler players did not use their screens well enough. Almost every high screen set by a Bulldog for Clarke was easily stepped over and through by McCall and Jett.

Was not impressed with Butler's bench coming into the game. Even less impressed after the game. But fully expect them to come out to "punk" us in our return matchup in Indy.

Jones was no match for Evans down low in the second half. Dwayne's second half reminded me of some of the interior play we saw last year from Conklin. He scared me early once again with foul trouble and the second one was a phantom call. But neither Jones nor Marshall beat Dwayne for all A10 honors -- just can't see it.

Issues? Biggest one to me is can we get a rebound? We only lost the board battle 35 to 28 according to ESPN but it seemed like more. If we disallow those rebounds and make a few more shots, we could've won by 30! But the total game was amazing. Too bad JJ misses that left-handed baseline slam and DE pops a couple off his legs in closing. Tiose were potenial exclamation points to bring the house down.

Dayton is weak but they rebound well, especially on the offensive end. They rebound 42% of their missed shoits, tops in the conference. Have to stop that. McCall should be able to neutralize Dillard some. Sanford, the transfer from Georgetown, is a slasher. Oliver is a garbage bucket player. Benson has always been somewhat weak in the middle. Dreckenbacher is the latest version of Luke Fabrizeus -- he only seems to shoot the three. Khari Price is nursing a thigh/hamstring problem. The only kid on the whole roster I like and take fo rus would Jalen Robinson but we have to come out intense.

Our rebound total was impacted some by the 23 turnovers we forced. Less chances to get a defensive rebound. The thing that kept us from winning by 30 was missed lay ups. Nobody in the country misses more easy shots than us.

Our rebound total was impacted some by the 23 turnovers we forced. Less chances to get a defensive rebound. The thing that kept us from winning by 30 was missed lay ups. Nobody in the country misses more easy shots than us.

Exactly. We only gave up an off. rebound on 25% of Butler's possessions last night. If we had that percentage up for the entire season, we'd be the 3rd best defensive rebounding team in the country. For the season, we give up off. rebounds on 27% of our opponents' possessions, which puts us at 26th in the nation--still quite good. Defensive rebounding is not a weakness. It's actually a pretty big strength.

UD always scares me. They usually have some decent talent, and they're a whole lot better than RI. Glad to see CE staying focused. One gets the impression that CE is leader B to KM's A. You watch the bench last night and you can see how close these guys really are. They're not a bunch of individuals. All they care about are Ws. I'll say it again, our depth and sense of team over I can take us a very long way. And another big factor that could/should carry us a long way is if CE and KM start knocking down their 3s. Both look terribly off from where they were last year. But they're making up for it in other ways.

dayton will get their dickholes smashed. bills have HATE in their hearts right now. dayton's been overrated since they dribbled out of the of ohio almost a century ago. fuoking sweatervests... bills by 15.

More gems:

Wow just came form the SLU msg board. There is a thread "Open Letter to Dayton Flyers", full of nothing but foul mouthed garbage and apparently backed or supported by their fans. This guy will be under the basket and being the most obnoxious person in the arena.

Is this type of obnoxiousness a Jesuit thing? Are UD students and fans that obnoxious at games? BTW he has been thrown out before. Oh and expect more of the watermelon thing.....yeah that is a Jesuit thing. Real classy.

To be fair, it's basically one guy and the others are making fun of him/condemning it.

Here's a good quote:

I don't have to explain or apologize for my behavior in anyway. I may flip the occasional bird at the ref or tell him his call was bull ###### but seriously if there were either more students or a bigger building you would never hear me individually. Thanks to all the people on this board who understand what a true home court advantage and student section is. I will be bringing it BIG tomorrow. Fabreezius, Mickey Perry, and all those other clowns will have nightmares about me tomorrow night.

More gems:

Wow just came form the SLU msg board. There is a thread "Open Letter to Dayton Flyers", full of nothing but foul mouthed garbage and apparently backed or supported by their fans. This guy will be under the basket and being the most obnoxious person in the arena.

Is this type of obnoxiousness a Jesuit thing? Are UD students and fans that obnoxious at games? BTW he has been thrown out before. Oh and expect more of the watermelon thing.....yeah that is a Jesuit thing. Real classy.

To be fair, it's basically one guy and the others are making fun of him/condemning it.

Here's a good quote:

I don't have to explain or apologize for my behavior in anyway. I may flip the occasional bird at the ref or tell him his call was bull ###### but seriously if there were either more students or a bigger building you would never hear me individually. Thanks to all the people on this board who understand what a true home court advantage and student section is. I will be bringing it BIG tomorrow. Fabreezius, Mickey Perry, and all those other clowns will have nightmares about me tomorrow night.

You do realize that all this is from 2010, right?

More gems:

Here's a good quote:

yes. the current stuff is pretty meh. most of them are predicting we'll handle them easily.

More gems:

Here's a good quote:

yes. the current stuff is pretty meh. most of them are predicting we'll handle them easily.

We can only hope!!!!

What was the evolution of the sweatervest name?

Dayton fans seem to wear red sweater vests in large numbers. I have a theory that a new UD alum receives a sweater vest upon their graduation, but I have been unable to get close enough to find anything conclusive.

I've been to Dayton several times. The sweatervest meme is beyond true. They are everywhere. UD = Sweatervest country. If you could play basketball in a sweatervest, Dayton would be #1.

Bills by 30.