Grandy Glaze

I don't often start topics about serious basketball discussion but I'm going to give it a shot. Many people on the board are saying that if Grandy is playing as many minutes as he is we will not be a good team. I disagree with that statement. Our team is predicated upon creating matchup problems for the other team. If Grandy is on the court he will, for the most part, draw their most physical defender. I think this could open up a lot of space for Loe who doesn't do well against athletic, physical defenders. This goes for Cory as well, he IS be a better post player than Rob and if you take a teams most physical defender and put him on Grandy, Cory will be able to (hopefully) dominate his defender. Grandy is still rough around the edges but I think he can play a big role on this team heading into the stretch run and hopefully into the tournament.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Grandy is on the court he will, for the most part, draw their most physical defender. I think this could open up a lot of space for Loe who doesn't do well against athletic, physical defenders."

I'm affraid I disagree. If teams scout SLU, they will notice Glaze spends the majority of his time on the offensive end of the court setting screens. Literally a zero on the offensive threat levels. Gets his points by crashing the boards and, at least last night, overplaying the passing lanes and getting easy layups (Product of playing Dukes that won't happen again).

Basically, teams won't waste a key defender on Glaze.

BUT, he is another body off the bench that can provide energy and toughness when needed. Instead wanting him to have a 'big' role, be content with him perfecting 'his' role.

"Grandy is on the court he will, for the most part, draw their most physical defender. I think this could open up a lot of space for Loe who doesn't do well against athletic, physical defenders."

I'm affraid I disagree. If teams scout SLU, they will notice Glaze spends the majority of his time on the offensive end of the court setting screens. Literally a zero on the offensive threat levels. Gets his points by crashing the boards and, at least last night, overplaying the passing lanes and getting easy layups (Product of playing Dukes that won't happen again).

Basically, teams won't waste a key defender on Glaze.

BUT, he is another body off the bench that can provide energy and toughness when needed. Instead wanting him to have a 'big' role, be content with him perfecting 'his' role.

Unfortunately, I agree. Once teams scout Grandy, he won't be able to get the easy points he got last night. Plus the inability to hit a FT makes him a real liability late in the game.

That being said, he does add a different dimension than what we otherwise had and him playing 5-10 minutes a game would be OK.

When we signed him, I recall RM describing him as serving a role like Rodman - definitely not a go to scorer, but somebody who can create problems with his relentless effort and ability to grab rebounds.

Love this.

It seems most are under the assumption the kid doesn't have it now. Yet everytime he gets a chance, I always leave recalling his presence. He doesn't float around, plays like a beast & his per minute stats are pretty impressive.

What do we want? MORE GRANDY PT! When do we want it? NOW!

I think one important factor here for JC to consider is what this does to CR's confidence. CR has had some pretty good games for us. In fact I thought maybe he was really ready to take off and be a version of BC for us. I can see giving GG 5-10 a game at this point. But what's more important is why are our perimeter players giving up so many open 3s. They've been grilled, at least by RM, to defend the 3 shot hard.

I don't know, maybe this team's been thru too much with the passing of RM and adjusting to JC. This is up to the seniors to start carrying the torch and get us back into UNM mode.

If you are to believe Majerus, and Grandy is a Rodman type, what did Rodman do? One thing-- rebound. A garbage bucket here, another there. H ehad a 14-year NBA carewer where he nealry had twice as many rebounds (11,954) as he had points (6,683). But no matter th eteam he played with, the other four guys were all more preferred offensive optins than Rodman. Detroit --- Laimbeer, Isiah, Vinnie Johnson, Dumars, Dantley, Sally, Aguirre. Then Chicago --- Pippen, Longley, Kerr, Kukoc and that other guy (what was his name?). In other words, a complimentary part, playing a key role.

Every team has role players and you can't win without them,. But the big role players have to be there and all purring on all cyclinders. That's not happening. McCall is MIA right now. Evans is in a slump. Loe is inconsistent. Mitchell is just back from injury. Ellis is a yo-yo but not totally consistent. Jett's strength is defense yet that ain't happening based on others' comments and folks scoring like mad.

Then it's combinations. You can't put Grandy, Jett, Barnett and Remekun on the floor together. Who would score? If Evans is your rebounder what role does Grandy have? Last night, Grandy was aimlessly (or so it seemed) wandering around the perimeter --- he was a good outlet pass but the problem is we need an interior threat or the semblence of a threat, to keep taller defnders honest so our gunners can gun (although they were wide open last night and couldn't throw a ball in the ocean standing on a pier). in the abov elineup, who's the point? Jett? Not a threat. So you sub in McCall or Mitchell. Who then have to be no tonly the dribble but the scorer as well and then face a likely double team as defenders slough off Grandy, Jett an dRemekun respectively. That's where spacing and precision-like cuts came into play with the Majerus offense. And he was disciplinarian enough to make you do it or else. I don't see that in Crews.

why can't they all play? Crews seems to be either or. The beginning of this season I thought the consensus was we had 9 players who could give us meaningful minutes.

Is Ellis the only one who can give us 15-24 points without starting? 200 minutes divided by 8 to make the math easy is 25 minutes average per player.

Rodman averaged over 24 ppg his last 3 seasons at SE Ok. St.

Rodman earlier in his career could score. He got a lot of garbage buckets and never had a play called for him ever. He played more like Xavier McDaniel for Detroit. After he left and he became a big star he actively avoided having to shoot and took joy in scoring zero points. If he would have been open to scoring 10 or 12 points a game those Spurs teams could have been very good. Instead he'd get O boards underneath the basket and pass to someone double teamed.

To simplify things I don't think it is a terrible idea to play Glaze when a favorable matchup presents itself. He obviously played well against Duquesne.

Still we have an 8 or 9 man rotation in most games. I don't believe glaze is one of our 8 or 9 best players. He gets about as much playing time as he should.

I don't care about his scoring - we need a consistent rebounder and if he can do that he has my vote. I am tired of getting out rebounded, tired of playing good defense only to have the missed shot grabbed by the one player for the offense that is in the paint with 3 of our guys standing around behind him, and I am tired of will CR show up to play tonight or not. He started off hot but has since cooled which tells me that what he has done in the past is what his future will be.

to only laud and care about glaze's rebounding stats, is openly not paying attention to details that are more important than rebounding. yes we need rebounding, but we also need percise screens and reactions from such to maintain floor balance and provide space for the offense to work. glaze has no clue. we also need secondary help defense. i.e. the billikens play a very zealous denial man to man defense, even defensive jaugernauts like jett will eventually get beat over playing as such. but assuming everyone reacts correctly and the down big slides over, and the weakside big covers away until jett recovers or the needed switch is made, no worry. glaze has no clue.

the last few days people talked here about wondering about standing around on offense and allowing too many easy baskets, a lot of that happens because our timing and positioning is wrong. glaze doesnt understand that yet.

hey, glaze is athletic. glaze has energy galore and yes he goes after loose balls and rebounds like no one we have seen under the basket since jeff harris (by the way one of my all time favorite billikens). but the fact remains that glaze still doesnt play basketball celebrially on a college level yet. he would probably be just fine on a one basket playground game. but we arent watching make and take it with chain nets here.

maybe playing is how glaze gets up to speed the fastest. but just remember, until that level of understanding and reaction comes up to speed, there are a lot of inverse reactions that are going to happen that we wont like. i feel confident in one thing, rickma wouldnt have stood for it.

Things Grandy Glaze needs to learn:

• Be a coach on the floor
  • Be a cerebral player (or play 'celebrially', per Roy.)
  • Be a good cross-court passer
  • Play the game 'the right way'
  • Be the first one to arrive at practice and the last one to leave
  • Do all the 'little things' that don't show up in the box score
  • Wave a towel really hard when on the bench

Until he can show me he can do everything listed above, I don't want him seeing any significant time AT ALL.

Until he can show me he can do everything listed above, I don't want him seeing any significant time AT ALL.

:lol: There are a few things I will never understand about some of our fans. These are some of the same people who almost revered players like Sloan, Meyer and Ryan Luechtefeld. Hell, some people even really liked Drew Diener. Tom Frerichs used to get a lot of praise.

Instead of folks thinking that his performance was a nice story and recognizing that the kid has some potential, we got a few people shItting on it. Strange. How long have people been complaining about finding an athletic, physical four who can rebound? We got a guy, who is certainly not there, but has at least shown flashes of evolving into that guy. Be thankful we had a kid deep on the bench who could come in and contribute something. How many players deep on the bench in the pre-RM could come into a game and do ANYTHING other than trip over their own two feet. GG's performance is just a small sign of how far this program has come.

Robert Parrish said Ainge had the best towel snap in the history of the Celtics franchise. Said you could hear that up and down the Charles River.

dannyaingeplayerjpg-2e112adcb62b5b2d_med

Danny Ainge. Legend of the Towel.

:lol: There are a few things I will never understand about some of our fans. These are some of the same people who almost revered players like Sloan, Meyer and Ryan Luechtefeld. Hell, some people even really liked Drew Diener. Tom Frerichs used to get a lot of praise.

Instead of folks thinking that his performance was a nice story and recognizing that the kid has some potential, we got a few people shItting on it. Strange. How long have people been complaining about finding an athletic, physical four who can rebound? We got a guy, who is certainly not there, but has at least shown flashes of evolving into that guy. Be thankful we had a kid deep on the bench who could come in and contribute something. How many players deep on the bench in the pre-RM could come into a game and do ANYTHING other than trip over their own two feet. GG's performance is just a small sign of how far this program has come.

THIS. kid had his best game ever by far. yeah, he's not gotdamn kevin love or anything, but he plays hard and he really delivered for us in some areas, not so much in others.

i also just farted loudly in the office. it did not go unnoticed.