O.T. Stan Musial R.I.P.

bills16

Heard it about it walking to the game tonight. Cast a pall over the whole proceedings. When Guy announced, without making a mistake I might add kudos, pregame there was an audible gasp from the crowd.

Stan "The Man" Musial was clearly the number one sport figure in St. Louis history, bar none.

What a career he had, a tremendos perfromer, a great teammate, and what a class act. Humble, friendly, always around even after his great career to support the team and the fans.

They do not make them like Musial anymore. He was "the way it oughta be".

i looked at stans stats last night and my gosh the man was an example of consistentcy.

kudos to channel 5 running the long special on stan last night. considering they had just a couple of hours to put that together it was very well done and a great tribute. the one common thread of all the interviews and quotes was what a good man he was.

it will be interesting to see how much "play" stan gets from the east coast media the next couple of days. he deserves the best and america needs to know stan the man.

i looked at stans stats last night and my gosh the man was an example of consistentcy.

And when you consider that he lost one season in his prime due to the war, just think of what his numbers could have been.

for one, barring injury, he would have definitely hit 500 homers which has always been the mark to id the greatest home run hitters. ironically, stan spent his entire war career playing baseball not shooting the axis soldiers.

kudos to channel 5 running the long special on stan last night. considering they had just a couple of hours to put that together it was very well done and a great tribute. the one common thread of all the interviews and quotes was what a good man he was.

Every station has had a pre recorded program ready to go in case of Stan's death for at least a year. Most of the Pd's 18 page spread was written 2 years ago. There are a lot of people who wrote or edited some of the Stan pieces that have since been laid off at the Post.

I gotta say, St. Louisans have always grumbled that Stan Musial would be mentioned in the same sentence as Ruth, Aaron, and Mays if only he played in New York. ESPN has a very long, nice article about him. The NY Times devoted an entire page of the sports section to him. The headlines and memorials have been really impressive everywhere I've seen. Maybe he's one of those guys who is only now getting his full due, but maybe he's more well-regarded on a national level than we realized.

The amazing thing about Mr. Musial is that his legend did not exceed the true person. There are no exaggerations in the tributes that have poured in. He gave two of the greatest birthdays ever. The first was for my 9th birthday, while being in attendance as he hit two homers in a game against the Cubs; and the second was on my 12th birthday at Musial & Biggie's, personally signing my brand new copy of his recently released autobiography.

The amazing thing about Mr. Musial is that his legend did not exceed the true person. There are no exaggerations in the tributes that have poured in. He gave two of the greatest birthdays ever. The first was for my 9th birthday, while being in attendance as he hit two homers in a game against the Cubs; and the second was on my 12th birthday at Musial & Biggie's, personally signing my brand new copy of his recently released autobiography.

Awesome stuff.

By the way, what's the history with Musial & Biggie's? Is that the predecessor to the Biggie's that still exists on Watson?

By the way, what's the history with Musial & Biggie's? Is that the predecessor to the Biggie's that still exists on Watson?

No relation. The one on Watson is called Biggie's because that's the owner's nickname (and it came about well after Stan and Biggie's closed); Stan originally partnered in his restaurant(s) with "Biggie" Garagnani (sp?).

I believe Stan's restaurant was on Chippewa by lindenwood Place.

My parents went there many times. Even during his playing career he'd hold court on a nightly basis and would talk to anyone and everyone who walked in the door.

Musial and Biggies for the majority of its existence was on Oakand east of the Arena a bit. Stan would often be there and stop by and talk to customers as they dined, he also kindly autographed free pictures for most any that asked.

Nicest guy in the USA.

I played 9 holes with Stan the day McGwire hit his 500th. He left early, Gwynn was in town and needed 3 to get 3,000 hits so Stan had to go and nap and get dressed up in case Tony made it, he would go to 1st base and present the ball, etc.

He went to the first tee, addressed the ball, then raised his driver high like a baseball bat, crouched his back, and went into his patented batting stance, turned around and smiled. Priceless. He hit one 250, middle of the fairway. He was 77-78 or so at the time (mine went OB). He had radar around the green, sinking chips and long putts. Parred several, bogied a few. The 4th hole was wet, a sign said "no carts" he drove on anyway, I pointed it out he said "aw, it's no fun if you have to walk all around like that"... I said "OK". Figuring, hey who is going to kick Stan The Man off The Bluffs?

# 1 sports figure, ever, in St. Louis. Stan The Man.

Musial and Biggies for the majority of its existence was on Oakand east of the Arena a bit. Stan would often be there and stop by and talk to customers as they dined, he also kindly autographed free pictures for most any that asked.

Nicest guy in the USA.

I played 9 holes with Stan the day McGwire hit his 500th. He left early, Gwynn was in town and needed 3 to get 3,000 hits so Stan had to go and nap and get dressed up in case Tony made it, he would go to 1st base and present the ball, etc.

He went to the first tee, addressed the ball, then raised his driver high like a baseball bat, crouched his back, and went into his patented batting stance, turned around and smiled. Priceless. He hit one 250, middle of the fairway. He was 77-78 or so at the time (mine went OB). He had radar around the green, sinking chips and long putts. Parred several, bogied a few. The 4th hole was wet, a sign said "no carts" he drove on anyway, I pointed it out he said "aw, it's no fun if you have to walk all around like that"... I said "OK". Figuring, hey who is going to kick Stan The Man off The Bluffs?

# 1 sports figure, ever, in St. Louis. Stan The Man.

fantastic memory for you mb! cherish that. i am jealous.

My parents went there many times. Even during his playing career he'd hold court on a nightly basis and would talk to anyone and everyone who walked in the door.

You're thinking of the current Biggie's, which is on Watson by Trattoria Marcella.

Stan Musial's place was on Oakland Avenue, where the Science Center currently stands.

For those of you too young to remember.....when I started at SLUH in '56 to the west on Oakland Ave was an old stadium where the Jr. Bills played their football games and also had midget racers on a dirt track. Then M&B's place, then the Highlands, a great amusement park, then the Arena, then Hampton. I may not be perfect , but that is my recollection.

Wow would I have loved to play golf with Stan.

You're thinking of the current Biggie's, which is on Watson by Trattoria Marcella.

Stan Musial's place was on Oakland Avenue, where the Science Center currently stands.

Doubt not thetorch, lest you get burned.

Musial & Biggie's: 6435 Chippewa Street (1949-1961); 5130 Oakland Avenue (1961-1986); Hotel Majestic, 11th and Pine streets (1987-1988)

Due to growing up and residing in the DC area, I was not familiar with all of these stories pouring out regarding Stan Musial....What a human being. I am glad that a few years ago we had a president finally recognize Stan the Man for the service he gave to our country. One patriot awarding another patriot. Special moment.

Thank You

musial-obama-ap2.jpg