FRANK THE TANK'S SLANT

davidlee

Nice. A supporting opinion. If he were in control, we're in. VCU is the hot flavor right now as evidenced by their 23 NCAA credits. But they don't fit the private school mantra as the other 13 do (counting Richmond as he did).

I think if Fox Sports and/or TV is heavily involved, then it will be market share and we are good.

Does anyone at SLU or on the Board know Joe Buck?

Can someone get Joe Buck to perhaps put in a good word for SLU with Fox?

In the same vein, can someone get Bob Costas to put in a good word for SLU with NBC, perhaps Dan Dierdorf with CBS?

Joe Buck has been an announcer for a SLU game in the past on Fox Sports Midwest. Bob Costas has broadcast SLU games on KMOX and on TV.

In the same vein, can someone get Bob Costas to put in a good word for SLU with NBC, perhaps Dan Dierdorf with CBS?

Joe Buck has been an announcer for a SLU game in the past on Fox Sports Midwest. Bob Costas has broadcast SLU games on KMOX and on TV.

Joe Buck also has an Honorary degree from SLU - he was my commencement speaker in '08.

One of the best commencement speeches I've ever heard.

Joe Buck also has an Honorary degree from SLU - he was my commencement speaker in '08.

One of the best commencement speeches I've ever heard.

Then someone at SLU should definitely contact Joe Buck. He has an Honorary degree from SLU, he gave a Commencement address.

Joe Buck is the lead, as in #1, play by play announcer for Fox Sports for both the NFL and MLB.

Bob Costas should have significant influence at NBC too.

Can somebody ban Henry permanently? He has not had one post on here that isn't politically motivated. If I'm going to get riled up on billikens.com, it's going to be over a disagreement on the direction of this team. Not the direction of the country. Just reading that sentence has me itching to write an essay on why I disagree....but I won't. :)

It would sure be nice if Bob and Joe were supporting us, but I'm doubtful this is driven by anything other than $$ if the TV stations are involved. It's an unfortunate commentary on the state of college athletics.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SpartanBilliken" data-cid="335654" data-time="1357927448"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bay Area Billiken" data-cid="335653" data-time="1357926989"><p>Does anyone at SLU or on the Board know Joe Buck?<br />

<br />

Can someone get Joe Buck to perhaps put in a good word for SLU with Fox?<br />

<br />

In the same vein, can someone get Bob Costas to put in a good word for SLU with NBC, perhaps Dan Dierdorf with CBS?<br />

<br />

Joe Buck has been an announcer for a SLU game in the past on Fox Sports Midwest. Bob Costas has broadcast SLU games on KMOX and on TV.</p></blockquote>

<br />

Joe Buck also has an Honorary degree from SLU - he was my commencement speaker in '08.<br />

<br />

One of the best commencement speeches I've ever heard.</p></blockquote>

Remember the kid with the mohawk? Joe just couldn't resist calling that out.

Can somebody ban Henry permanently? He has not had one post on here that isn't politically motivated. If I'm going to get riled up on billikens.com, it's going to be over a disagreement on the direction of this team. Not the direction of the country. Just reading that sentence has me itching to write an essay on why I disagree....but I won't. :)

It would sure be nice if Bob and Joe were supporting us, but I'm doubtful this is driven by anything other than $$ if the TV stations are involved. It's an unfortunate commentary on the state of college athletics.

Sorry you feel that way, I do have quite a few posts regarding billiken athletics including one about Evans today. As far as the conferences aligning based on $, I agree with your point especially in this scenario involving the Catholic 7. Joining this conference would be a huge recruiting tool to some of the big local talent that leave for greener pastures.

@nark ---- frankly, I had forgotten where VCU had come from to join the A10. You are right, the Colonial. But no ---- I saw George Mason and MasonNation in person two years ago at the Cleveland pod. Thet beat Nova so they would have an addition of at least two more credits to the Colonial. Plus their Final Four appearance in 05-06 would add six more credits to the Colonial tally sheet if you use the NCAA formula of counting back 10 years.

@nark ---- frankly, I had forgotten where VCU had come from to join the A10. You are right, the Colonial. But no ---- I saw George Mason and MasonNation in person two years ago at the Cleveland pod. Thet beat Nova so they would have an addition of at least two more credits to the Colonial. Plus their Final Four appearance in 05-06 would add six more credits to the Colonial tally sheet if you use the NCAA formula of counting back 10 years.

Taj,I'm pretty sure Nark's point wasn't that VCU has earned 100% of the Colonial's NCAA credits in the past (they obviously haven't) but that when VCU entered the A-10 they likely had to leave behind most if not all of the NCAA credits they earned on their Final 4 run. Put another way, in leaving the Colonial, VCU gave up much of their future earnings power from those credits. Of course, none of us are privy to all the details and maybe VCU negotiated with the Colonial to keep some of those credits, but standard operating procedure is that they stay with the conference when a team leaves.

@kshoe You are correct; that was my exact point. Butler, VCU, and Xavier shouldn't have any NCAA credits to leverage because the credits belong to the league, not the school. They may have agreements with the conference that allow them to take some portion of the credits with them if they leave, but I understand that would be largely unprecedented.

VCU is realtively a new school and a large state school as well. Yes, their program has experienced a lot of recent success, but is Smart leaves what's the future. Granted, if they were in the C7 they wouldn't have a problem attracting a good coach. However, SLU has as much more tradition, maybe not currently in hoops, but we played in really tough leagues and we weren't a perennial league doormat, see DePaul and Seton Hall. This falls on Biondi and friends to make sure every angle is played and we are included. Personally, I don't think VCU or Richmond for that matter, adds to the geographics of the new split. Last time I checked, VA was a southeastern state and a whole lot closer to GU, Seton Hall, St. John's, et al than it is to Indy, Cincy, Omaha, or even Dayton (those damn sweater vesters are going to put DU over the top in this deal.)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="NashvilleBilliken" data-cid="335665" data-time="1357930706"><p>

Can somebody ban Henry permanently? He has not had one post on here that isn't politically motivated. If I'm going to get riled up on billikens.com, it's going to be over a disagreement on the direction of this team. Not the direction of the country. Just reading that sentence has me itching to write an essay on why I disagree....but I won't. :)<br />

<br />

It would sure be nice if Bob and Joe were supporting us, but I'm doubtful this is driven by anything other than $$ if the TV stations are involved. It's an unfortunate commentary on the state of college athletics.</p></blockquote>

I can tell you that SLU is leveraging multiple relationships in the corporate world to help strengthen their position and "resume".

While the Joe Buck example is a bit of an exaggeration, if FB felt it would help he would make the call.