Bills by 5 over Valparaiso

The Wiz

I would rank Valp about the same as UW in difficulty. We should win this game. However, if we give up a 3 pt shooting % of 60% we will lose again. We need to keep it at 35% or less. Let's at least put a hand in their face from beyond the arc.

If the Wiz says we'll win by 5, that means we'll lose by 6.

Wow...tough crowd. No breaks for beginning of the season limited data. Well as long as you acknowledge me later on when I start to "hit" The Valpa game will be the last game this season with any vestiges from last season.

Good thing your not as tough on Crews or the Bills as you are me. If you were they would have to throw the towel in.

I would rank Valp about the same as UW in difficulty. We should win this game. However, if we give up a 3 pt shooting % of 60% we will lose again. We need to keep it at 35% or less. Let's at least put a hand in their face from beyond the arc.

Agree with the 3 point percentage thing.

On the season SLU is 41-113 from 3. 36.3%

On the season our opponents are 31-61 from 3. 50.8%

Agree with the 3 point percentage thing.

On the season SLU is 41-113 from 3. 36.3%

On the season our opponents are 31-61 from 3. 50.8%

This article is a must read for Bills fans to understand why missing RM this season makes a difference.....

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/05/14/.../index.htm...

Actually, it probably just means we've been pretty unlucky so far this year. Our 50.8% defensive 3 Pt % is dead last in D1 (347th!)--there is no way our opponents will sustain that rate.

Pomeroy did some research last year that showed that among two relatively evenly matched teams, 3 Pt % is essentially a lottery. Your defense can control how many 3 pt attempts your opponent takes, but for the ones they do throw up, they've got about a 35% chance of going in in the long run. Here's the full article for the details: http://kenpom.com/bl...ne_is_a_lottery (warning: there's math involved)

In case you're wondering, the Bills are preventing 3 pt attempts even better than last year. We've allowed 3 pt shots on only 20% of possessions (3rd lowest in D1). last year, it was 25% (9th in D1). So it's not like we're leaving opponents open for tons of 3s--they've just happened to make a better percentage of them this year.

I suspect we'll start seeing some nights where opponents shoot 20% from 3, and we'll all be talking about how stifling our defense was.

This article is a must read for Bills fans to understand why missing RM this season makes a difference.....

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/05/14/.../index.htm...

Maybe this link will work.....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=luke%20winn%20majerus&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsillustrated.cnn.com%2F2012%2Fwriters%2Fluke_winn%2F05%2F14%2Fdefending.three%2Findex.html&ei=rDy4UIq-AYWxygGhw4H4Bg&usg=AFQjCNGJGhfxZvkw-rwgfuGuomi2Enj2HA

STL Cardinal is spot on.

Defense, in basketball, is not about whether the shot goes in or is missed. Defense is about denying the shot altogether.

The more shots a defense denies in a possession, the less likely the offense will be able to attempt a good one.

Plus, I also feel like SLU has faced a high number of unguardable do-it-all scorers who are capable of creating their own shot: Foster, Wilcox, Turner, Early (for one half), all of Kansas.

There are problems with the defense. But I think it starts and ends with the low post. Loe refuses to be a center, despite the fact that he has one good game shooting every ten games.

Remekun and Evans hold their own, but at their heights, they can't take on the bigger traditional PFs and Cs.

Don't knock the perimeter defense before recognizing where the problems are -- down low.