Jordair

At the beginning of his Freshman, RM praised and praised JJ even if it wasn't immediately apparent to us. When we finally got to see him, we obviously saw his raw talent, size and strength but JJ was also a turnover machine making mistake after mistake. The experience he gained during that 12-19 year was great but those games (w/o KM and WR) were also painful to watch. JJ's defense also wasn't not stellar. Questions and criticism arose. Sophomore, he improved in all facets of his game -- including his getting to the basket/scoring and defense. The turnovers decreased leaving only his outside shooting and FT's an issue. This year, he is si smart, makes good decisions, is our defense stopper and is a stabilizing force on the court. The development has been fun to watch!! And for those that wonder, I say the above as much for JJ as I do for the younger guys -- JM and Glaze as well as Carter & Drew. Even talented players need time to fully develop.

I cannot express how high my concern is that this is a team that "seems" to live on the jump shot and the three point line. Jump shots have a history of going south and the funk can be an epidemic. That's why in the OOC, I want to see DE's play inside uptick, JJ's ability to drive and finish flourish, and some combined contribution from Manning/Remekun being on the positive side. Add in two bombers a night on fire, and greatness will be realized. I entertain no concerns about the defense but I am unsold on our rebounding right now. I think they get it on the defensive end but what will be the difference from Crews versus RM in that area and in halftime adjustments?

The Billikens allayed that concern in the first game yesterday. Though the perimeter shots weren't falling, they made a living through points in the paint (and at the free throw line). They continually attacked the basket. And that's what we'll likely see this season.

Going inside against USC-Upstate is one thing. Kansas and New Mexico might be another. Xavier, who I consider weak on the front line with only Robinson and Taylor returning yet each scored near 20 last night. So I'm still watching this facet of our game closely.

Evans turned my head very well last night when he realized who was guarding him, posted, and matched his career high with 21. But those guys were twigs. Evans, despite listed as an inch shorter than Craig, made him appear small. And Jett gave away four inches but dominated him defensively all night. It was a great start but the bell hasnot exactly been answered for me.

Still, I am not concerned just watching to see where it all goes. You can be very content with our interior last night. Conversely some might wonder where the three-point marksmanship went. Two treys ---- one by Carter in the rotation and a prayer by Barnett to beat the shot clock. The others were missed on wide open shots. Still ---- no real worries.

From my pulled quote above .... DE gets an A+. JJ gets an A. Manning/Remekun an incomplete. Two bombers gets an F. Defense was okay and enough, we'll say C for average. Rebounding also an incomplete -- good enough for the competition but more body of work needed.

Going inside against USC-Upstate is one thing. Kansas and New Mexico might be another. Xavier, who I consider weak on the front line with only Robinson and Taylor returning yet each scored near 20 last night. So I'm still watching this facet of our game closely.

Evans turned my head very well last night when he realized who was guarding him, posted, and matched his career high with 21. But those guys were twigs. Evans, despite listed as an inch shorter than Craig, made him appear small. And Jett gave away four inches but dominated him defensively all night. It was a great start but the bell hasnot exactly been answered for me.

Still, I am not concerned just watching to see where it all goes. You can be very content with our interior last night. Conversely some might wonder where the three-point marksmanship went. Two treys ---- one by Carter in the rotation and a prayer by Barnett to beat the shot clock. The others were missed on wide open shots. Still ---- no real worries.

From my pulled quote above .... DE gets an A+. JJ gets an A. Manning/Remekun an incomplete. Two bombers gets an F. Defense was okay and enough, we'll say C for average. Rebounding also an incomplete -- good enough for the competition but more body of work needed.

Three 3s* McCall hit one. Barnetts wasn't a prayer, he was wide open. I hope that gives him some confidence going forward.

I don't know how you can give Loe/Ellis Fs. They both played well inside the arc.

I didn't give Loe/Ellis F's, the grade is based on my pulled quote from Absurd reference two bombers a night. I just believe two bombers, any two, hot on a given night makes us almost unbeatable. We did not have two bombers last night (thanks for my miss on McCall's make). I wasn't grading Loe/Ellis at all. Cody played really well and was aces from the free throw stripe. And Rob was workmanlike given the style of the opponent. Barnett's was (quoting Rammer) "NBA length and then some." And it was to beat the shot clock if I recall correctly. It was near the end of the game while we were running clock. Otherwise, I doubt he takes that.

Heck,even Glaze did well enough with his two buckets, a rebound or two and some nice hustle. We need an inside option to keep team shonest on us. We get that and I'll start talking Sweet Sixteen and even Elite Eight asothers already are.

And in case you're wondering, JJ was 5-of-8 in layups last night; 0-of-1 from my definition of "jump shots" and "field goal shooting." The good news: it was a three so it didn't count in the "mid-range" category. As a matter of fact, his grade gets bumped up to .... wait, he had five turnovers. Leave it at an A.

And in case you're wondering, JJ was 5-of-8 in layups last night; 0-of-1 from my definition of "jump shots" and "field goal shooting." The good news: it was a three so it didn't count in the "mid-range" category. As a matter of fact, his grade gets bumped up to .... wait, he had five turnovers. Leave it at an A.

It was almost the half court category. He put that up six feet beyond the arc. I couldn't believe it when he squared up and let it go.

I think I recall hearing Rammer call a Jett jumper good. Are you sure they were all layups?

@Absurd ---- I checked the ESPN play-by-play. If they misnoted it, so did I. I watched the game on-line fromabout the 13 minute markof the first half on and personally donot recall seeing JJ stop and pop from anywhere outside the arced area of the paint. Of course, as 05 will attest, I'm old.

@Absurd ---- I checked the ESPN play-by-play. If they misnoted it, so did I. I watched the game on-line fromabout the 13 minute markof the first half on and personally donot recall seeing JJ stop and pop from anywhere outside the arced area of the paint. Of course, as 05 will attest, I'm old.

As much as I like to debate the issue with Taj, I agree with him on this. I don't recall it either.

Hey --- he might have got fouled on the shot which would negate it as an attempt and make it not noted on the ESPN play-by-play. All five made buckets were noted as layups.

JJ driving to the rim is a thing of beauty.