O.T. Assistant Coach Derek Thomas resigns at Detroit

BLIKNS

Just happened to see this in the transactions section of the newspaper( does anyone else still read the newspaper?). Is this DT who used to coach at SLU. Also said A.D. resigned as well. Seems like a very odd time for this to happen.

Just happened to see this in the transactions section of the newspaper( does anyone else still read the newspaper?). Is this DT who used to coach at SLU. Also said A.D. resigned as well. Seems like a very odd time for this to happen.

I still read it. I thought the same thing.

Keri Gaither, UDM AD for the last 4 years and had spent the last 27 years at UDM in other positions resigns suddenly on a Wednesday at the same time as another athletics staff member. Very strange! Is something going on at Detroit that has to do with Coach McCallum and his son, Ray McCallum Jr, that could be construed as inappropriate?

Word out of Detroit is that the AD and the asst coach, Thomas, were having a long running affair. They were caught in "the act" by a student. The student's parent is starting a lawsuit. So the whole sordid thing was going to be revealed in court so the two decided to quit. I'm not sure who was married or if both were single and it was more of an supervisor and employee thing.

Few more details are out. Both asst coach Thomas and AD Keri Gaither were "supposedly" having an affair. Both were married and Thomas has 4 kids (15 yrs old to 9 yrs old) and Gaither had 2 children, 20 & 14 yrs old. The 20 yr old son was a student at UDM. Per the Detroit Free Press, rumor has it that Titan asst coach Carlos Briggs, same staff as Thomas under head coach Ray McCallum, Sr., is negotiating a deal with another employer or trying to parlay that other offer into a better deal at UDM. Briggs is missing practices and would not confirm that he is still on the coaching staff to the writer from the Detroit Free Press.Basically said "no comment."

http://www.freep.com...ggs?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Word out of Detroit is that the AD and the asst coach, Thomas, were having a long running affair. They were caught in "the act" by a student. The student's parent is starting a lawsuit. So the whole sordid thing was going to be revealed in court so the two decided to quit. I'm not sure who was married or if both were single and it was more of an supervisor and employee thing.

What could one possibly sue over? An 18 year or older student walking in on two adults having sex, even if it was in an inappropriate place, is grounds for a lawsuit?!?

What could one possibly sue over? An 18 year or older student walking in on two adults having sex, even if it was in an inappropriate place, is grounds for a lawsuit?!?

I was trying to come up with that one as well. If the person exposed to the show was not a minor, I'm guessing some claim that negligent action (or intentional indifference) on the part of the university led to the kid's emotional distress. Been a long while since I was engaged in the tort game but that claim may require physical injury to make. Maybe they go for some catch all like "outrageous conduct". In all likelihood the claimants are banking on the fact that they will be paid to go away based on the media coverage alone.

Any updates on the resignation of Derek thomas and the AD of detroit mercy?

I read the Detroit message board for more info so this is ONLY RUMORS.

A second asst coach at UDM, Carlos Briggs, was fired by University president, Dr. Giribaldi at the same time as the other two, AD and asst coach Thomas, who then resigned. Briggs refused to resign and was actually hand cuffed and taken off campus by the campus security personnel. Later Briggs was bragging to the Detroit press corp at that night's Pistons game that he exposed the affair between the AD Gaithers and asst coach Thomas.

I'm going to sit back and wait till I see something in the Detroit Free Press after the details and explanations come out on why Briggs was also fired and why the university president took the steps he did.

We should all remember that Derek Thomas was married and had four kids while former AD Keri Gaithers was also married and had a 20 year old son attending UDM and a 14 year old daughter.

@ Tony 4

I agree we should remember the families that this will effect. But at the same time, I think Thomas and Gaithers should have been the first ones with that thought a long time ago. I pray that the kids will be able to get through this. Both Thomas and Gaihthers have beautiful families.

I have also heard a rumor about misappropriation of funds. Anyone on the grape vine with a update?

I keep checking but nothing new in the Detroit Free Press. My wife has family at UDM at this time and the university is keeping it well hushed probably hoping there is a chance it will be forgotten over time. My wife's family was asked not to talk about this situation for the benefit of the people involved and their families.

Here's the latest on the Detroit message board. Officially Asst Coach Carlos Briggs has not resigned or been fired and no announcement has been made by UDM about his status. He has also not shown up for any practices or two exhibition games. One of my wife's family works in the athletic dept at UDM, who I've only met a few times, doesn't even know the asst coach's status.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 pm

I find it difficult to believe we know nothing about Carlos Briggs at this point with the first real game tomorrow? He is still listed on the coaching staff. No insider information?