Any fanfest reports?

SluSignGuy

I went with the family. Scrimmage was fun. Kwamain was there but did not participate. Cody hit his first attempt from three. Lowe drained a three in CE's face. MM had a particularly nice layup following a steal. John Manning looks like he's bulked up a bit. Jared Drew looked good too. I ate too many hot dogs. Good times.

Yes, the hot dogs were good. We looked more rusty than this time last year, to be expected since we had no previous Canadian tour this time. DE and KM are nursing injuries and didn't play in the scrimmage. McCall looked to me like he was ready to play against X tomorrow, quick as can be, played tough D and took it to the rack for layups several times. Manning is going to help us and this year. Nice shooting touch from 12 ft. and in. Loe and Ellis both hit a couple of 3s. They look better physically : DE (muscle), GG (more mature and sculpted), Loe (looks stronger). Of the newcomers, I thought Drew looked the best, but it's still very early. All in all, it was encouraging to watch.

Not as much to tell considering our two best players sat out. Evans & Mitchell with minor leg injuries, both day to day.

Ellis, Mitchell, Evans are team Captains.

Got there at 5, practice went on for 40 minutes or so, then they scrimmaged for about that amount of time. Similar to last year, mostly running half court sets, only let him loose a couple of times. Multiple breaks for free throws & strategy.

Teams were White - Loe, Manning, Carter, McCall, & Drew Blue - Jett, Ellis, Barnett, Glaze, Remuken, & McBroom

White dominated at one point leading 17-8. Blue went on a big run late and won 22-20. Didn't keep stats but Loe and Ellis led their teams in points both scoring 8 or 9 apiece. Jett & Mccall had probably 6 points each as well.

it appears one of the big offseason questions has been answered. Remuken & Glaze split time in scrimmage, Manning was with the first team bigs and played the entire scrimmage. It appears Manning will be in the rotation ahead of Remuken. A good thing IMO.

While everyone looks better, Manning stood out physically. Running better and carrying more muscle on his frame. Still has trouble with his hands but he's physically ready to man the post now.

Loe looked in better condition as well. He mixed it up more often. Had a couple post ups mixed in with his jumpers, one nifty move around Remuken inside was very nice. Not expecting him to become Moses Malone but looks like he will be posting up at a higher percentage than last season.

Ellis was the leader of his team with Mitchell & Evans on the sideline and was the difference in the scrimmage. After his team got down he made several baskets from all over, inside, off the dribble, and from 3 to get his team a victory.

McCall & Jett squared off against each other and both had some nice moments on both ends.

Of the newcomers Drew fared the best. Had a couple nice steals and had Barnett overmatched on the offensive end. Didn't shoot much but active defensively and took guys off the dribble and finished.

McBroom handled the point, only think he took one shot. Both he and carter are still trying to get their feet wet. Wanted to see Carter take someone 1 on 1, finally did it late in the scrimmage, broke his defenders ankles but then didn't know what to do with it. Neither of them scored.

Barnett hit a 3. Remuken was ok, along with Glaze.

Guess Rammer was busy so Guy Phillips MCed. He insulted both coaching staffs, Cody Ellis, several fans, & Coach Knight. When it was time for him to close out the festivities after team captains introduced the roster, he was nowhere to be found. We should be ashamed that our announcer is so unprofessional. He bragged that this will be his 19th season here. Lets not have him get to 20.

All the coaches were there but Whitesell, who had a personal matter to attend to.

Was there two hours. Man, did I miss no Bills bball for a while. It was sweet!

Agree with what was said above. Good turn out, think the word is not out yet to John Q Public that this is a top notch team.

Why is Guy Friggin' Phillips exorting the fans to go out and get more people to come to the games? What kind of a marketing strategy is that? I can understand mentioning it in passing, but to go on as long as he did, thought it was over the top. Granted, I think he is one of the greates axxholes of all time, and anything he does I am immediately critical of it; that said, I think he went to long on that one.

Thought McBroom's shot is going to get stuffed alot, unless he shoots as often as KC did and waited for the perfect shot. In warm ups and in the scrimmage, thought his release point was pretty low. Also think his upper arms are unusually short. A guy's elbows usually comes down to his waist, and seems like his arms are a little short.

If Coach Pratt is the little guy in green shorts running up and down the court, my first impression was not very good. Kept yelling, 'Come on, white!' referring to the scrimmage team in white. He never offered to my observation any substantive message other than, Let's go! Unless this guy is a gem at breaking down film or some other behind the scene activity, don't think he adds much to a practice. Just my observation based on one short practice.

Female BBall Coach started her speech with a moment of prayer for Coach Majerus. Nice touch. Thought it was well done.

Guy Phillips is an ass.

I agree with pretty much everything written above, here are a few additional takeaways I had

• Loe had no patience for the freshmen. Everytime one would mess up a play or make a mistake he'd bark at them. Looks like he wants to take more of a leadership role as well
  • Manning seems more assertive. I know it was only a scrimmage, but he seemed to be more aggressive on the boards and on D.
  • Carter has a very sweet shooting motion, he will make a high percentage of his shots this year I think.
  • Drew is athletic, but does not have a good looking shot and probably needs to add some muscle if he is ever going to be DE 2.0
  • Mcbroom has a slow release, but didn't see enough shots to know whether he can knock them down.
  • McCall dominated. He was so quick and was the best guard on the floor by far.
  • Cody and Rob both shot very well from the outside.
  • Glaze messed up at least one offensive set when they where running through them with no defense. Sigh.
  • I have to think the starters will be KM, MM, DE, CE and RL

I forgot to mention that '05 was there, documenting the proceedings, snapping more photos than Mathew Brady. Westy was observing and kept the crowd in order. I quickly repressed the thought that Guy Phillips was the MC. Why did that have to happen ? Ugh !

I'm taking a newswriting class and was covering it for an assignment.

Forgot to mention Coach Stone. She had a very good speech. I'll definitely be attending some women's games this season.

Mcbroom shoots from his shoulder, very low release point. In shootarounds Drew also had a funky shot, a little over his head and his offhand was out of place.

I just don't get this boards hate of Guy Phillips. I thought he came across as a true Billiken fan ,yes he was trying to sell tickets but why is that bad? I thought he did a good job.

Seriously???

He's like a very bad insult comic. Uninformed and unprepared. Where was he at the end of the proceedings. He just left Mitchell out there to dry. What did he need a bathroom break in the middle of his half hour gig? C'mon. He's a joke. The highlights were making fun of Cody's hair & making a comment to Coach Crews about Coach Knight getting NCAA sanctions?!?! When he was introducing the coaches he was reading their names off of note cards. He doesn't know the Coach's names!!!!!!!!! When he came out and started his gig there was an audible groan from the crowd.

I can't believe we've been paying this guy for 19 years. We should have a professional announcer who cares about the team, the programs, and the school and who can fire up a crowd. All we have is a mail it in ****** who reads off of note cards. Phillips must have pictures of Biondi checking into a hotel with a herd of sheep, this is only explanation I can come up with for why he still is employed.

Where was he? He was sitting at the scores table . He left Mitchell standing there for all of 30 seconds. Professional? Someone who makes his living talking on radio is a professional. What do you think John Ulett does? As I said I said t don't get the hate.

Willie you dont honestly compare ulett to guy do you? I have never witnessed a ulett mistake. I have never hward guy have a perfect game. A professional could learn four coaches names if he hadnt heard any of them in his life. Our guy cant memorize the names when three of the names are still the same. Guy is the absolute worst and continues to be an embarrassment.

Ulett acts like a professional while doing the Cardinals games. Guy acts like an ass while doing the Billikens game. Ulett never acts like he is why people are buying a ticket to the game. Guy too often does his job like fans actually come to the game to hear his lame ass.

How did he insult Ellis? He said something about his new doo,but it was far from insulting . People have said far worse things about Knight. I thought Guy came across as a true Bills fan. I'll take Guy and his mistakes over the monotone individuals you seem to want. I know this board is in love with Mike Owens but to me he is boring. Changing field a little Guy does a good job at the Billiken golf tournament.

Guy is an unfunny wisecracking aging boomer media personality with zero self-awareness.

Guy seems himself as the witty professor who can get away with poking fun at students. It was awkward because he wasn't funny and he has zero authority (in any form) over this team. I didn't even grasp the context of the "we won't go into the scandal" comment to Crews in regards to IU, but it went over like a Holocaust joke.

Ulett acts like a professional while doing the Cardinals games. Guy acts like an ass while doing the Billikens game. Ulett never acts like he is why people are buying a ticket to the game. Guy too often does his job like fans actually come to the game to hear his lame ass.

+1. Yes, this is it.

• I have to think the starters will be KM, MM, DE, CE and RL

I don't know about that. I agree that CE and RL are our two best bigs but they play the same style (face the basket, shoot threes, etc.). Corey and Manning are both back to the basket guys. During all of the drills and the scrimmage yesterday Cody and Rob were on opposite teams. I tend to think that most of the time spent will have one of the Oceano guys with one of the traditional bigs. Maybe down the stretch of a game we'll go with our best 5 and they can both play together.