Next head coach? Who do you want? Who's a good option?

STLfan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the date Harriman left? I fully believe this health issue has been known for a while (months). It appears that Utah fan was accurate. Did Harriman know about RM's health issues and somehow he knew Crews would get the interim gig? If so, did that prompt him to leave or was it just the money. I got to think Harriman knew all about RM's health. He also had to think he may be the guy to be the interim Coach. But, he chose to go to Nebraska? Wouldn't the interim head Coach at SLU be better than the assistant position at Nebraska? Doesn't seem to add up.

I think Harriman was thinking what's best for my family and long term career? To stay at SLU and make 1/3 of what Nebraska's offering? Pretty simple decision.

I don't know about any names, but the hire will be huge as the program is finally on the up swing and we do not want to go backwards. Will be interesting how much involved May is in the hire or if Fr. Biondi is completely in charge. We need someone who can keep this program on track and as mentioned they will have several scholarships to fill.

I think it basically comes down to if Chaifetz decides to continue shelling out good money for a head coach. If so, between that and the good possibility that we will be in the NCAAs back-to-back years with some talent returning, as well as the good on-campus facility, the job will be pretty enticing to somebody.

If he decides not to put in the money, then we could still be pretty enticing considering the facilities and a pretty solid team, but instead of established names, we will likely be looking at respected assistants, or head coaches who were making very little money.

If for we can make it to the tourney and win a game or two I think this job could attract a lot of Coaches. An improved A-10, a nice group of players, great facilities, etc. This will not be a team in rebuilding or a program that needs a complete overhaul like when RM arrived. This will be a nice job and I think would attract some nice Coaches.

You don't want Whitesell as a permanent head coach. He constantly under-performed with decent recruits at Loyola (IL). I also doubt you'll get Lickliter. He's got enough money that he doesn't need a good gig. He's coaching at Marian in Indianapolis because it's in his hometown and it's not high stakes. Good alternative to retirement.

Graves would be a good get, but I don't know if he'd go to a school in the same conference. If he did, it would probably be SLU.

I think John Becker from Vermont might be a good get, or Tim Cluess from Iona. It would entertain me if SLU got Anthony Evans from Norfolk State -- the guy who coached the Spartans past Mizzou in the tournament last year. Steve Donahue might also be a good get if he gets canned from Boston College after this year, which I doubt will happen.

If for we can make it to the tourney and win a game or two I think this job could attract a lot of Coaches. An improved A-10, a nice group of players, great facilities, etc. This will not be a team in rebuilding or a program that needs a complete overhaul like when RM arrived. This will be a nice job and I think would attract some nice Coaches.

Don't forget the big negative at SLU: Fr. Biondi. Just ask Cheryl Levick, Brad Soderberg and our Annette Clark.

Chaifetz arena on campus took us to a different class. Of the tops 100 universities we are tied at 90 with Mizzou and Binghamton, NY (.

I'm never sure what goes into these rankings where Tulane, Tulsa, Marquette get better marks but as a 68 grad I certainly think that the physical plant, landscape is so improved. Biondi may be a dog to work for but he will go down as the patron saint of landscape sculptors.

Of that top 100 about half are state schools and many of the balance such as U of Chicago, Wash U. Of St. Louis are not strong in

Or not even Division I

Coach gets to live in city where athletes can be professional in Football, basketball, Hockey and although SIUE will someday become a competitor in recruiting for D1 basketball you have an entire metro area where you are top dog and if city kids from Chicago want the go away to college they are still an easy and inexpensive train or bus ride home for the holidays.

If May has any intelligence at all, he should have seen the power struggle forming between Biondi and Majerus a long time ago. With that said, a GOOD AD, has had feelers out for a long time and already has a short list. Now will Biondi pull the same stunt he did with Levick and basically tell May you do not have the qualifications to really do this job?

LOL at guys name-dropping Shaka and Brad Stevens. If those guys turned down 2.5+ dollar contract offers at Illinois, there is no way they come to SLU. I know Shaka is making 1.3+ million per year at VCU, which is at the very least at the same level of a job as SLU. Stevens is over a million as well and at a superior program in Butler as well.

Blaine Taylor has a very low listed salary but earns more than $700,000/year at ODU with supplementation from the Big Blue Club, which is a private booster organization at ODU. They also aren't staying in the CAA as they are moving to C-USA in 2013. He's a very good coach, but I doubt he would go to SLU.

The best bet is to go for a star assistant coach at a major school or a BCS retread like Capel. He was solid at VCU in the early 2000's and as a VCU fan, it would be nice to see him get back into head coaching. Tim Cluess actually is a great suggestion too. He has recruited like crazy at Iona and just got a commitment from a 2012 top-50 recruit in Norvelle Pelle...at IONA. He's been pretty successful at Iona so far, but it remains to be seen if he can sustain it with the constant influx of JUCO's and transfers that he has been stocking and re-stocking his roster with.

LOL at guys name-dropping Shaka and Brad Stevens. If those guys turned down 2.5+ dollar contract offers at Illinois, there is no way they come to SLU. I know Shaka is making 1.3+ million per year at VCU, which is at the very least at the same level of a job as SLU. Stevens is over a million as well and at a superior program in Butler as well.

Blaine Taylor has a very low listed salary but earns more than $700,000/year at ODU with supplementation from the Big Blue Club, which is a private booster organization at ODU. They also aren't staying in the CAA as they are moving to C-USA in 2013. He's a very good coach, but I doubt he would go to SLU.

The best bet is to go for a star assistant coach at a major school or a BCS retread like Capel. He was solid at VCU in the early 2000's and as a VCU fan, it would be nice to see him get back into head coaching. Tim Cluess actually is a great suggestion too. He has recruited like crazy at Iona and just got a commitment from a 2012 top-50 recruit in Norvelle Pelle...at IONA. He's been pretty successful at Iona so far, but it remains to be seen if he can sustain it with the constant influx of JUCO's and transfers that he has been stocking and re-stocking his roster with.

You don't fuoking read do you? 1 person, not people, suggested Stephens and Smart but CLEARLY noted they were not serious options, merely pipe dreams.

Brad Stevens at Butler signed a 12 year contract. I heard through the rumor mill in Indy, so this is not been confirmed, that his buyout clause stipulates the school that signs Brad must pay $1 million to Butler. Brad is entering his 5th season at Butler and the third year of his 12 year deal which makes the deal good till the 2021-22 season. You would think that Butler wanted to keep Brad Stevens around there for a while.

I read it just fine. I still found it highly amusing. Stevens has a 12 year contract and Smart is in the 2nd year of an 8-year contract and they are coaching for teams that play in your conference. Sorry if that bothers you to the point of cursing. As you said, they are obviously pipe dreams for any non-power 6 schools and the majority of the power 6 schools as well as Illinois found out this spring.

That said, with Chaifetz Arena being a top of the line arena, playing in the A-10, and having a pretty strong program recently, there will be plenty of very good candidates who I am sure would be interested. An established head coach may hold out for a BCS job, but you never know who may be interested. I'm sure elite assistants all over the country would give SLU a very strong look.

-I like what Tim Cluess has done at Iona, although he is extremely unconventional in his recruiting approach and his teams haven't played defense.

-Steve Masiello at Manhattan is a rising star who was an assistant at Louisville before leading Manhattan to 21 wins in his first season. Manhattan went 6-25 the season before.

-Russ Springmann at Texas is a good assistant coach and a great recruiter who got Kevin Durant to play for the Longhorns.

-Jeff Boals at Ohio State is another coach who knows the midwest extremely well having worked at Akron and OSU and is known as a very good recruiter.

-Matthew Graves at Butler is a popular pick and being at a system school like Butler under Brad Stevens, it's not hard to see why he's in demand.

-Chris Collins came up for the Illinois State job and he's worked under Coach K as a player and assistant for a number of years.

There are a number of excellent candidates out there, but hopefully this conversation is moot and Rick Majerus is able to get back to full health and help lead the Billikens. There are few coaches in the country that can match him when it comes to coaching the game.

If so, that's a huge loss for not just SLU, but the A-10, and all of college basketball. He's one of the best there is as an in-game tactician. I share your fan base's wishes for him to be able to live a long and happy life. Really unfortunate news, and right when he really had the Billikens rolling too. Fortunately, he has left Crews with a stacked team that should win plenty of games and hopefully keep the momentum going at Saint Louis.

SLU will be one of, if not the top, hc jobs this spring.

Coming off two straight (hopefully) tournament appearances. New large on campus arena. 3 open scholarships. Veteran squad returning deep everywhere. A10 with a new tv deal. The A10 positioned as a top 5 or 6 conference. Major media market and only one basketball show in town.

Let us not sell ourselves short. We should be able to land the latest hot head coach from the tournament. We could pull in a tip top top assistant (not Matthew Graves level but higher). Id rather have this timing than letting Rick grow old, get sick of recruiting, and just sort of fade to the middle of the pack.

Ultimately I hope Rick is able to make a full recovery and go back to being a commentator if health allows. I highly doubt a doctor is going to clear him to coach again.

I fully expect SLU to f up this situation. Hopefully, Dr. C will step in and provide some strategic direction for the program. If this is left in the hands of Biondi and May, then we are screwed.

Hey, Moytoy and I agree 100%. Great post!

(mark the date, maybe you are right every August 26th or something; bizzle, look it up!)