Stanford off Schedule

Pistol

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/katz-3-point-shot

"1. Stanford is scrambling to find a marquee home game to replace Saint Louis after the Billikens canceled a home-and-home series that was to start at Stanford on Dec. 2. The Cardinal were supposed to be the back end of a two-game swing through the Pac-12 for the A-10 favorites. SLU is still going to Washington on Nov. 28. SLU also is set up for a potential showdown with Kansas in the CBE Classic if both can get past Texas A&M and Washington State, respectively. The Billikens also have a return home game against New Mexico, one of the top four teams in an NCAA-bid rich Mountain West. SLU will get plenty of power-rating pop in the A-10 this season, too, with the additions of VCU and Butler. But Stanford now doesn't have the name home game. The Cardinal play in the Battle 4 Atlantis against Missouri with Louisville-Northern Iowa in the same portion of the bracket. Duke-Minnesota and Memphis-VCU is on the the other side. Stanford also plays host to Belmont, a perennial NCAA team. The Cardinal also has a rugged two-game trip to NC State and Northwestern in December. Stanford, a predicted top-three Pac-12 squad after winning the NIT, can still get a quality RPI but the home slate is now light."

Does anyone know why this happened?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/b...tz-3-point-shot

"1. Stanford is scrambling to find a marquee home game to replace Saint Louis after the Billikens canceled a home-and-home series that was to start at Stanford on Dec. 2. The Cardinal were supposed to be the back end of a two-game swing through the Pac-12 for the A-10 favorites. SLU is still going to Washington on Nov. 28. SLU also is set up for a potential showdown with Kansas in the CBE Classic if both can get past Texas A&M and Washington State, respectively. The Billikens also have a return home game against New Mexico, one of the top four teams in an NCAA-bid rich Mountain West. SLU will get plenty of power-rating pop in the A-10 this season, too, with the additions of VCU and Butler. But Stanford now doesn't have the name home game. The Cardinal play in the Battle 4 Atlantis against Missouri with Louisville-Northern Iowa in the same portion of the bracket. Duke-Minnesota and Memphis-VCU is on the the other side. Stanford also plays host to Belmont, a perennial NCAA team. The Cardinal also has a rugged two-game trip to NC State and Northwestern in December. Stanford, a predicted top-three Pac-12 squad after winning the NIT, can still get a quality RPI but the home slate is now light."

Does anyone know why this happened?

WTF?!?! Why would we cancel this series?

Pretty cool that we are a "marquee home game" and a "name home game." Of course it's a total effing disaster if playing Stanford doesn't happen because of $$$. Anyone think that maybe a Wash/Stanford road trip might be a pretty tough trip? We're good but are we that good?

rich, just saw your signature... fuoking fuok yeah! i still do the blind phone rattle in the receiver riff every once in awhile. "who the hell interrupted my kung fu!?"

b.s. on the speculation of cost. we spend far more than that when we take off entire weeks during the conference season to stay on the east coast road trips. i am betting standford played games with the series whereby it wasnt as pure of a home and home as maybe was first believed.

This sucks. While not a marquee team, it is a team with name recognition in a highly recognizable conference. I cannot fathom that the cost of a hotel would lead to cancelling this. My impression is that the athletic department is involved in scheduling and are aware of budget constraints. I know Biondi can be a tight ass, but I don't think even he can stoop that low.

This is extremely puzzling. My hope is that Duke possibly re-thought Majerus' request for a rematch.

we can't afford the trip cause i spent the $ on drugs and hookers...it was worth it - i'll share the kodaks

b.s. on the speculation of cost. we spend far more than that when we take off entire weeks during the conference season to stay on the east coast road trips. i am betting standford played games with the series whereby it wasnt as pure of a home and home as maybe was first believed.

Other than them insisting we play the game at scotttrade I'm not sure what else you could mean.

We may be a good team but in no way are we in a situation where we can pass on home and homes with teams like Stanford. There had better be a good reason...

Come on guys. All this speculation about money is baseless. May told our lunch meeting group that there in no shortage of funding for basketball.

Did May happen to explain why we are canceling home and home series with name BCS opponents?

Come on guys. All this speculation about money is baseless. May told our lunch meeting group that there in no shortage of funding for basketball.

No, but he said the Stanford game was far from a done deal at the time.

-it seems like Rick and katz have a good relationship, i'll assume (i know) katz is a decent journalist and would not want to burn a good source for quotes and would call Rick to see what happened before going with this, so why isn't the series happening? is Stanford's damage control on another level? Rick is pissed and said go ahead andy, print it as you have it? something else?

-too many things about the series looked to make sense for it not to happen so interesting what caused the series not to be finalized

I am really upset as is my pal Bay Area Billiken and all the other alums and fans that live out here. He must be out of the country since he didn't comment on the law school dean thread.

I am really upset as is my pal Bay Area Billiken and all the other alums and fans that live out here. He must be out of the country since he didn't comment on the law school dean thread.

-yeah, where the heck is BAB???? sbob, i was hoping you guys would have a 'home' game

Other than them insisting we play the game at scotttrade I'm not sure what else you could mean. We may be a good team but in no way are we in a situation where we can pass on home and homes with teams like Stanford. There had better be a good reason...

maybe they wanted a 2 for 1. maybe they were insisting on some expense money or goodies on the return trip. maybe they wanted pac 10 refs both games. maybe they included an opt out clause for the return trip that made it pretty obvious they were never going to play the st louis game.

we dont know. but like i said, it doesnt make much sense talking about a hotel stay and a few meals. we spend that regularly for extra days in january and february on the east coast. i would look for a stanford wrinkle.