Are the Billikens This Years Final 4 Sleeper?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with thicks. I want a conference title. We haven't won one in......forever. Then we can think about final fours.

VCU plays a different style than us but the end result is a defense that doesn't allow you to score. VCU has to replace a lot offensively. How soon they find some scoring will determine if they can challenge for the A10 title with the Billikens.

For a team from the A10 there is a lot of luck involved in getting to the Final 4, so much so that so that you can't possibly predict it. Even with a dominant season I don't expect the A10 champion to have a seed higher than 4 or 5. That is a difficult road to the final four.

If VCU has to replace a lot offensively, then so does Saint Louis since you guys lose Conklin.

We lose our leading scorer (14 ppg) and return everyone else from a 29-7 team that went to the NCAA 3rd round and took Indiana to the wire. We have 2 consensus 4-star ESPN/Scout/Rivals recruits in the 2012 class joining the team this year as well.

Melvin Johnson (#85 overall): http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/126605/melvin-johnson

Jordan Burgess (#96 overall): http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/72599/jordan-burgess

I think Saint Louis is rightfully the favorite, but VCU will be competing for sure.

If VCU has to replace a lot offensively, then so does Saint Louis since you guys lose Conklin.

We lose our leading scorer (14 ppg) and return everyone else from a 29-7 team that went to the NCAA 3rd round and took Indiana to the wire. We have 2 consensus 4-star ESPN/Scout/Rivals recruits in the 2012 class joining the team this year as well.

Melvin Johnson (#85 overall): http://espn.go.com/c.../melvin-johnson

Jordan Burgess (#96 overall): http://espn.go.com/c.../jordan-burgess

I think Saint Louis is rightfully the favorite, but VCU will be competing for sure.

Bills by 36 over VCU.

Lol. Nice.

I think SLU is the A-10's best team next year, baiting comment aside. It should be fun to watch the season pan out.

I just wanted to clarify that VCU brings a whole lot back and there is a reason we're in the conversation to compete for the title, since there seem to be some misconceptions about what we're bringing back and how much we lost.

FWIW, we led the country in both steal percentage (16.2% of opposition possessions) and turnover percentage (27.4%) last year. Our D is not quite as good as the Billikens, but we do what we do very well. We return 5 guys who averaged at least 1.2 steals per game last year. Our MO is very different from most of the A-10 with the exception of UMass who modeled their style after VCU's following our Final Four year.

It should definitely be interesting to see how the styles clash. There are excellent teams in the A-10 next year and the fact that SLU is the favorite speaks volumes about how good you guys should be.

Lol. Nice.

I think SLU is the A-10's best team next year, baiting comment aside. It should be fun to watch the season pan out.

I just wanted to clarify that VCU brings a whole lot back and there is a reason we're in the conversation to compete for the title, since there seem to be some misconceptions about what we're bringing back and how much we lost.

FWIW, we led the country in both steal percentage (16.2% of opposition possessions) and turnover percentage (27.4%) last year. Our D is not quite as good as the Billikens, but we do what we do very well. We return 5 guys who averaged at least 1.2 steals per game last year. Our MO is very different from most of the A-10 with the exception of UMass who modeled their style after VCU's following our Final Four year.

It should definitely be interesting to see how the styles clash. There are excellent teams in the A-10 next year and the fact that SLU is the favorite speaks volumes about how good you guys should be.

Shaka's shown himself to be a very good coach. The SLU/VCU game should be a good one, and we welcome VCU to the A10. You are definitely a major uprgade to the conference. We're just all anxious for the games to begin.

Yeah I remember when Majerus and Shaka matched up in the CBI finals in 2010. That was Shaka's first year at VCU. Kwamain Mitchell and Willie Reed were both nice-looking players as sophomores. I remember Cody Ellis and Remekun were on that squad as well although I think they were more role-players then.

Thanks for the welcome and I think the SLU/VCU game will be a great battle. I think SLU is favored on a neutral court and should definitely be at home so I have no qualms with those who say you'll likely beat us this year since we play at Chaifetz.

I really think it comes down the contenders holding serve at home and stealing a couple on the road. I think that getting Butler, Dayton, UMass, St. Joe's, La Salle, and Richmond at home is good for us, I even count Fordham at home to be a blessing since they've been known to pull big upsets at their place.

SLU is obviously a very tough road game, but if there was any year to want to play X and Temple on the road, I'd think this would be it. Even so it will be a tall order to go into those places and pull out a win. @St. Bonaventure scares me since the O'Reilly Center can be really tough from what I hear.

Either way the conference schedule is going to be absurdly entertaining and fraught with drama and upsets. There are no off-nights in the A-10 this year.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the conference and hopefully VCU competing in and helping the A-10 get a record number of NCAA bids this season.

Lol. Nice.

I still think VCU has a lot to prove. I say this only in regards to a significant upgrade in conferences.

It's one thing to dominate a weak conference and then get up for big games. But, VCU is going to be challenged in A-10 conference play that they are not used to seeing game in and game out. A tough conference schedule can be a benefit to preparing a team, but it can be a grind if you are not used to playing a lot of tough conference games.

VCU is very capable of coming in and being a Top 3 team in the A-10 and Shaka is a good coach. Will they do it? That is yet to be seen as they haven't played a conference schedule like this.

That's certainly a valid argument. We've certainly played in very good conferences before the CAA that are comparable to the A-10, but that has nothing to do with the current make-up of our squad.

We have certainly shown we can play and beat A-10 caliber teams as I believe we are 16-4 against the A-10 over the last 10 years. We have also shown we can beat similar or higher-level competition in the NCAA tournament as well. A lot of that has to deal with our style of play which is very problematic for most teams in a tournament setting.

We didn't even really dominate the CAA under Shaka Smart so a lot of what you say does ring true, he's just an extremely good postseason coach. At the same time the CAA was a 3-bid league just a year ago so we weren't exactly playing table-scraps either. I don't disagree with anything you've said, and I do think the A-10 is a significant jump up, especially now that both us and Butler are in the league.

It's just one sub-plot in a league full of them this season. It will be very interesting to watch it all pan out. I tend to think we'll be fine, but I'm also a biased fan.

That's certainly a valid argument. We've certainly played in very good conferences before the CAA that are comparable to the A-10, but that has nothing to do with the current make-up of our squad.

We have certainly shown we can play and beat A-10 caliber teams as I believe we are 16-4 against the A-10 over the last 10 years. We have also shown we can beat similar or higher-level competition in the NCAA tournament as well. A lot of that has to deal with our style of play which is very problematic for most teams in a tournament setting.

We didn't even really dominate the CAA under Shaka Smart so a lot of what you say does ring true, he's just an extremely good postseason coach. At the same time the CAA was a 3-bid league just a year ago so we weren't exactly playing table-scraps either. I don't disagree with anything you've said, and I do think the A-10 is a significant jump up, especially now that both us and Butler are in the league.

It's just one sub-plot in a league full of them this season. It will be very interesting to watch it all pan out. I tend to think we'll be fine, but I'm also a biased fan.

What do you consider fine? What conference record would you be happy with/expect?

Hey UConn, the first thing you need to know is that the Billiken's basketball players are truly scholar athletes. I doubt if any of our players come to SLU thinking that it's a stepping stone to the NBA,. I'm also confident that Coach Majerus is more concerned about his player's academics and their future than he is about W's. this may be a different paradigm than at the UConn.

As to your questions/comments: My knee-jerk reaction was to be condescending towards VCU, but after reading these posts, I've reconsidered. No doubt, VCU has performed admirably over the past few years. In fact, on a national level, they are better known than the Billikens. And, also like the Bills, they have an excellent coach. I believe they will be a formidable opponent...possibly top 4 in the league this coming season.

For the Billikens, another NCAA bid is expected, and anything less is failure. I do expect an A-10 conference championship, but won't be dissapointed if we don't get it. The NCAA tournament is nmuch more important. The Sweet 16 would be the logical progression, and anything beyond that is gravy.

Welcome to Billikens.com!

I'd say that I'd be disappointed if we're not top 4 next year with the team we have and what we return from a pretty good team last year that's adding 2 top-100 kids. I do expect a NCAA tournament bid however. I will be very disappointed if we don't. I've said that before when we initially joined the league. I fully recognize that we could fall short of that but I have high expectations of my team.

As for non-conference games, I know all of them, but VCU hasn't released the schedule yet and I'm not going to leak the games that aren't out already as per their request. All but 2 games are now out, of those 2 one is a non-descript low-major game and the other is against a pretty strong mid-major program that was in the NCAA tournament last year. Both home games.

Here is our OOC schedule with last year's postseason and RPI in parentheses:

Nov. 9th: non-descript team (have to play them before the Battle 4 Atlantis)

Nov. 13th:Wichita State (NCAA- 18)

Nov. 17th: @ Winthrop (272) H&H play at VCU next year

Nov. 22nd-24th: Battle 4 Atlantis, play 3 out of:

(Duke (NCAA-7), Louisville (NCAA- 10), Missouri (NCAA-12), Memphis (NCAA-20), Minnesota (NIT- 63), Stanford (NIT- 69), Northern Iowa (NIT-72)

Nov. 28th: Stetson (263)- buy game

Dec. 1st: Strong mid-major who played in NCAA's last year. Pretty good RPI last year.

Dec. 7th: @ ODU (CIT- 102) H&H play at VCU next year

Dec. 15th: Alabama (NCAA- 40)

Dec. 18th: Western Kentucky (NCAA- 171)

Dec. 21st: Longwood (333)- buy game

Dec 29th: Fairleigh Dickinson (330)- buy game

Jan. 2nd: @ ETSU (172) H&H play at VCU next year

Jan. 5th: Lehigh (NCAA- 88)- buy game

We have a ton of home games in the OOC and some good teams coming in. We have the 11th highest home winning percentage in the country at home at 85.79% since our building opened in 1999 so it's built to get us wins and a strong RPI. We'll see how it goes but hopefully we can get some nice OOC scalps for the conference in the Battle 4 Atlantis as well as at home.

Hey UConn, the first thing you need to know is that the Billiken's basketball players are truly scholar athletes. I doubt if any of our players come to SLU thinking that it's a stepping stone to the NBA,. I'm also confident that Coach Majerus is more concerned about his player's academics and their future than he is about W's. this may be a different paradigm than at the UConn.

As to your questions/comments: My knee-jerk reaction was to be condescending towards VCU, but after reading these posts, I've reconsidered. No doubt, VCU has performed admirably over the past few years. In fact, on a national level, they are better known than the Billikens. And, also like the Bills, they have an excellent coach. I believe they will be a formidable opponent...possibly top 4 in the league this coming season.

For the Billikens, another NCAA bid is expected, and anything less is failure. I do expect an A-10 conference championship, but won't be dissapointed if we don't get it. The NCAA tournament is nmuch more important. The Sweet 16 would be the logical progression, and anything beyond that is gravy.

Welcome to Billikens.com!

I love that this follows your first paragraph in which all you are is condescending towards UConn.

Also, agree that NCAA's are more important... but if we're going to be the pre-season favorites to win the A-10 (seems to be the consensus), I will be disappointed if we don't win the A-10.

Sweet 16 does seem like a reasonable progression/expectation/goal for this team, which is ###### awesome.

(Duke (NCAA-7), Louisville (NCAA- 10), Missouri (NCAA-12), Memphis (NCAA-20), Minnesota (NIT- 63), Stanford (NIT- 69), Northern Iowa (NIT-72)

Dec. 1st: Strong mid-major who played in NCAA's last year. Pretty good RPI last year.

We have a ton of home games in the OOC and some good teams coming in. We have the 11th highest home winning percentage in the country at home at 85.79% since our building opened in 1999 so it's built to get us wins and a strong RPI. We'll see how it goes but hopefully we can get some nice OOC scalps for the conference in the Battle 4 Atlantis as well as at home.

That's a pretty strong schedule and a good RPI builder. I'm gonna take a shot at who the unnamed strong mid major is: Murray St? If so, your sched is loaded. Which is good for the A-10 as a whole. Ours is not as spectacular, but still a lot better than we've had in a while.

We actually had a tentative agreement with Murray State to start on the road this season prior to moving to the A-10. That got derailed after we made the move though. It would have been a great game.

The team is similar to Murray State (racked up a lot of wins and went to the NCAA tourney) but not as high-profile. They have a shot at a top 50 RPI but I think their conference might hold them back a bit.

It is a pretty strong schedule especially if we can draw and beat Duke, Louisville, and Memphis in the Battle 4 Atlantis. Getting Alabama, Wichita State, Lehigh with CJ McCollum and the unnamed mid-major team gives us chances at some nice top 100/possible top 50 wins at home.

We also get UMass, St. Joe's, Butler, Dayton, LaSalle, and Richmond at home in the conference schedule who should all be top-100 teams this season. Hopefully it will give us a good profile come March. The only worry is only playing 3 road games in the OOC. Hopefully we won't be on the bubble, but I could see that being an issue with the Selection Committee if we are. With as loaded as the A-10 is, we shouldn't have to worry about that if we take care of our business and finish in the top 4.

We also get UMass, St. Joe's, Butler, Dayton, LaSalle, and Richmond at home in the conference schedule who should all be top-100 teams this season. Hopefully it will give us a good profile come March. The only worry is only playing 3 road games in the OOC. Hopefully we won't be on the bubble, but I could see that being an issue with the Selection Committee if we are. With as loaded as the A-10 is, we shouldn't have to worry about that if we take care of our business and finish in the top 4.

Not many high-major schools play more than three true road games out of conference. Typically there are 7-8 home games and 2-4 neutral-site games. On average that leaves room for only three true road games.

I'd say that I'd be disappointed if we're not top 4 next year with the team we have and what we return from a pretty good team last year that's adding 2 top-100 kids. I do expect a NCAA tournament bid however. I will be very disappointed if we don't. I've said that before when we initially joined the league. I fully recognize that we could fall short of that but I have high expectations of my team.

As for non-conference games, I know all of them, but VCU hasn't released the schedule yet and I'm not going to leak the games that aren't out already as per their request. All but 2 games are now out, of those 2 one is a non-descript low-major game and the other is against a pretty strong mid-major program that was in the NCAA tournament last year. Both home games.

Isn't your game at Xavier technically a OOC game?

I think you are confusing VCU with Butler. Butler plays Xavier in an already scheduled OOC home game in addition to facing them on the road in conference.

lol @ NextYearBill, whatever SLU gets will be well-earned. Everyone in the A-10 will be gunning for the Billikens.

It's also been revealed that we face Memphis in the first round of the Battle 4 Atlantis. Should be a great match-up. Pastner wanted the VCU job pretty badly when the job opened up before we hired Shaka Smart. He obviously ended up doing fine for himself when Cal left and Memphis dropped in his lap.

Is a comment like this really necessary?

It's not only unnecessary, it's entirely false. RM has made mention of a number of players who are outstanding students. Sure, they may not all be Conklin or Cassity, but to infer they are airheads is insulting.