Will a St. Louis native ever play for the Bills again?

2012-2013 will mark the 2nd straight year no one from St. Louis is on the team.I understand we can't get Bradley Beal or Cameron Biedschied.We can't even get the grandson of Ed Macauley,the greatest Billiken ever.There must be somebody that RM deems worthy of giving a chance.Anthony Bonner,Erwin Claggett,Roland Gray,Monroe Douglass,Scott Highmark,Harry Rogers,Larry Hughes and even Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell are our history.It's more enjoyable when you have something in common with the members of the team.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2012-2013 will mark the 2nd straight year no one from St. Louis is on the team.I understand we can't get Bradley Beal or Cameron Biedschied.We can't even get the grandson of Ed Macauley,the greatest Billiken ever.There must be somebody that RM deems worthy of giving a chance.Anthony Bonner,Erwin Claggett,Roland Gray,Monroe Douglass,Scott Highmark,Harry Rogers,Larry Hughes and even Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell are our history.It's more enjoyable when you have something in common with the members of the team.

Alumni have something in common don't they?

It's more enjoyable when you have something in common with the members of the team.

Well, there's always the fact that, you know, we went to the same college. Also, most of us here on the board are men, as are the players. Several of us have also run trains in our day.

The only way last year could have been more enjoyable is if we had beaten Sparty.

It's one of those "it would be nice" things, but I personally just want the best player and do not really care where they come from. I used to think that a hometown connection would make me feel more connected to a player, but it no longer does. I wasn't more connected with Kevin Lisch, Luke Meyer, and Tommie Liddell than I was Brian Conklin and Conklin was from far away. If the kids are good students, good ambassadors of the University, and give it their all - it's easy to develop high regard for them. RM has given us opportunities to meet and greet with his team, so that too plays a part when you're having conversations with the guys more than once.

All this being said, if you can get the local players it would be an added bonus. I don't think we've seen the last of local players. In fact, we may see a complete turnaround. When you build a program and consistently win, there will be players who want to play here. They may not be the Beals of the world, but we will get local players. If the program sustains success for a while, we may have young fans who really want to play their college careers at SLU. It's an exciting time!

To answer the basic question: There's no doubt in my mind. In fact, I'd be willing to wager, if I were willing to wager, that within the next five years at least one of SLU's scholarship recruits will come from the St. Louis metropolitan area. Probably within the next three years.

If there isnt a STL player on this team in the next 3 years id be incredible surprised.

I want the best players on the floor. Period. If we can get Nolan Berry or Bradley Beal, great, but I don't want John Doe just because he is a great kid from DeSmet.

Why don't the top players stay and play for their hometown team. Blame Brad Beal and Biedschied and the rest. It's their fault, not a lack of effort by Rick.

That is a ridiculous post.

Who cares where a student athlete is from? I wouldn't have "liked" Brian Conklin more if he was from Parkway North High School. I thought it was cool he decided to come to school here in St. Louis all the way from Oregon. The world is getting smaller every day. Break out of your tired ways.............

We could get a kid from '13. It is undecided whether we will offer him yet.

We've already offered a couple locals in '14.

I usually like some locals on the roster if only to shutup the critics. 1 or 2 is enough. Problem is St. Louis is feast or famine. Every year there may be 1,2 or 3 high major D-1 kids and then a bunch of borderline prospects. We aren't able to get the big time kids yet, and Majerus won't waste his time just giving a scholarship to some local kid he'll probably kick off the team and send to MO Southern or NJIT the next season.

The problem with StL and bb players is that we usually develop a deep class of second tier D1 players - the likes who end up at SEMO, AR State, Western IL as examples. Nothing wrong with that those teams have to get players also. We tend to have 1-3 very good D1 players each year who if they want to go out town or not play in the shadow of their grandfather then become non options for us. Every few years we get a really great player that attract the likes of Duke, FL, KU, Georgetown as examples and the chances of us getting that player is at best very thin and usually dependent on the situation - see Larry Hughes. I also could care less if we have any local players on the team if we are winning and drawing fans and attention - to give a schollie away to 1 -2 local players just to shut up the "where did you go to high school crowd" makes no sense to me.

The fact that there are not any players from STL on the team just points to a better job of recruiting. Instead of settling for the Anthony Mitchell types in the spring, they can get better prospects like Evans and McCall. SLU is not able to get Top 100 or 200 guys from anywhere but they are able to find the best prospects by widening the recruiting net and all of the players that they are landing are outside of St. Louis. I am sure they are offering some guys in St. Louis, just not the fringe guys.

First post... hmm, let me guess, long time reader, first time poster. This topic has never been discussed here before - :rolleyes: I look forward to your second thread - "Should SLU be in the Valley?"

I'd be happy to play along and answer. Last year was the first time in more than a decade that we made the Big Dance. Call me crazy, but I really find that much more "enjoyable" than simply watching local players. I have asked this question before and have not gotten one good answer, so please answer me this... what quality local players WHO WANTED TO PLAY AT SLU has RM not offered? The names I have gotten in the past were such stars as a guy named McCoy who went to Cleveland St. and is now at UMSL. A couple of other guys mentioned were a couple of guys named Boga who went to Milwaukee. One of them has now transferred to Drury. Wow, we're really missing out. :lol: RM has offered numerous quality local players over the years Griffey, Biedschied to name a few. It takes two to tango. What you won't see are offers to locals like Anthony Mitchell and Dustin Maguire. Sit back and enjoy the winning. If some quality local players want to be a part of the winning, then hop on board the train. If not, who cares, we'll keep on winning with RM... with or without them. :P

It was a little tough seeing Berry pick Butler over SLU given his legacy ties to SLU. But some on here have suggested RM was the reason Berry went elsewhere. Who knows for sure. But why is it important SLU bring in locals, especially if they're marginal? RM won't do it. No good coach would. Does anyone ask Calipari, hey, how come you didn't recruit that McCoy kid from Butcher Hollow instead of that 5 star from Brooklyn? But the implication here is that RM ignores locals when that simply is not the case. In that interview he stated they went after Beals and another kid, who I'm assuming is Berry or Scheinheld(?), even when he knows he stands little chance of getting them to SLU. Let's move on to the next relevant topic, the greatest locals we could have had but went on to star elsewhere. Does anyone remember the name Blake Ahern?

ACE brings up an interesting point: During Majerus' tenure, how many STL area players were worth offering? Beal, Young, and Biedscheid, no doubt, but who else? I ask this sincerely.

And how many current HS players are worth offering? Berry seems like one for sure- who else? A couple kids at CBC, right? Tatum at Chaminade is only going to be a freshman but is on the national radar and is expected to grow another 5 to 7 inches. I'd say you get on that kid early and stay on him (although I'm not sure his father having gone to SLU does us any good, given that he didn't qualify his freshman year and was basically ushered out by Romar in the end).

Anyway, if we have an idea of how many local kids during Majerus' tenure would have been giving a scholarship to, then we can look at whether they were recruited or not. Majerus has stated publicly that he would have loved to get Beal and Biedscheid and Berry and had nothing but good things to say about them as players, students, and people. He did offer all three, too, if I'm not mistaken. But some kids just aren't interested, and it seems like when that's the case, he backs off.

The obvious bottom line is that you get the best players you can, whether from your back yard or from across the world. We arguably have more talent on the roster now than ever before, so the fact that none are local kids shouldn't bother anyone. And if it does, well, you need to get out more often.

ACE brings up an interesting point: During Majerus' tenure, how many STL area players were worth offering? Beal, Young, and Biedscheid, no doubt, but who else? I ask this sincerely.

And how many current HS players are worth offering? Berry seems like one for sure- who else? A couple kids at CBC, right? Tatum at Chaminade is only going to be a freshman but is on the national radar and is expected to grow another 5 to 7 inches. I'd say you get on that kid early and stay on him (although I'm not sure his father having gone to SLU does us any good, given that he didn't qualify his freshman year and was basically ushered out by Romar in the end).

Anyway, if we have an idea of how many local kids during Majerus' tenure would have been giving a scholarship to, then we can look at whether they were recruited or not. Majerus has stated publicly that he would have loved to get Beal and Biedscheid and Berry and had nothing but good things to say about them as players, students, and people. He did offer all three, too, if I'm not mistaken. But some kids just aren't interested, and it seems like when that's the case, he backs off.

The obvious bottom line is that you get the best players you can, whether from your back yard or from across the world. We arguably have more talent on the roster now than ever before, so the fact that none are local kids shouldn't bother anyone. And if it does, well, you need to get out more often.

Great post! We couldn't have gotten McLemore or Young eligible, so we can toss them out the window.

Tatum is going to be a big time prospect. Most likely a top 10-15 type kid, and if he keeps growing and developing, possibly top 5. Some people don't realize that it's not realistic to expect us to land kids like that. I think we'll have more of a chance with him than we did with Beal, but still it's a huge long shot.