Any Word On Grandy Glaze's Progress

I was wondering how Grandy is coming along as a player.

When I followed him a little in high school, he seemed to be a real hard worker who just never quite got the height to blow up at his position. Considering his hard nosed work ethic, I thought he might work his way into becoming an impact player down the road. I have no real contact or way to monitor out here on the west coast, so any info would be appreciated.

I went to a few camps put on by RM and was briefly recruited by him before I chose football as my college sport. I really have a lot of respect and admiration for RM and have started to follow the Billikens as a result (even though we are fanatic UNLV supporters). We are going to fly out to a couple games this year. Family all love trips to the SL area.

I was wondering how Grandy is coming along as a player.

When I followed him a little in high school, he seemed to be a real hard worker who just never quite got the height to blow up at his position. Considering his hard nosed work ethic, I thought he might work his way into becoming an impact player down the road. I have no real contact or way to monitor out here on the west coast, so any info would be appreciated.

I went to a few camps put on by RM and was briefly recruited by him before I chose football as my college sport. I really have a lot of respect and admiration for RM and have started to follow the Billikens as a result (even though we are fanatic UNLV supporters). We are going to fly out to a couple games this year. Family all love trips to the SL area.

Thanks for posting.

He's good. Very raw, but good. He'll get minutes this year and most likely start next year. You can't teach athleticism and hustle, and he has them both. If he keeps working hard he'll put up big numbers in Rick's system.

This may sound crazy and I may get hammered for this comparison . . . .

As I've watched GG this year, he reminds me a little of Blake Griffin. Maybe like a poor man's Griffin, a la Detlef compared to the Bird man. I think physically he resembles Griffin somehow, as far as the scrappy hustling physical beast side of him, at least at the college level.

I'm not saying GG will ever match Griffin skill wise but he just hustles and works it more than anyone on the court. I know it's only summer pick up games at the Simon, but I used to see the same drive and sheer enjoyment out of a little guy called Kevin Lisch. GG flies around wreaking havoc and making plays. He is one of those players who does not appear all that much bigger or more physical, and has limited height, but just moves other players out of the way with a kind of physicality that you cannot teach. GG gets off the floor explosively and that explains the boards, plus he goes to the glass from 15 feet away. He also seems improved with the ball in his hands on offense, though I'm not yet convinced about his 16-18-footers... but if he can develop the jumper, wow.

I agree he should get minutes and he'll get points and boards out of sheer hustle and almost freak athleticism. Considering what Coach Majerus did with Conklin I'm getting more curious to see what GG will look like as a senior ....

Thanks for the responses...

I am a little surprised to hear of the athleticism, as that wasn't something I saw a lot of when he was in high school. If he has developed some twitchiness to go with his strength and nose for the ball, I can see why you would be optimistic. Great to hear.

Can't wait to see your team this year. Best of luck!

WOW! Anybody remember that this is a guy who played in 9 games, totaling 29 minutes last year? That's a whole 3 games and 18 inutes behind Manning. Who was five games and 43 minutes behind Barnett. Who qualified for the NCAA's "federal witness protection program" based on his actual appearnace(s).

I'm all for keeping hope alive but ......... I'm saving that for Remekun over these other two guys just right now.

I'm all for keeping hope alive but ......... I'm saving that for Remekun over these other two guys just right now.

I'm pretty sure B. Griffith would've gotten 25 mpg for the Bills when he was in the 8th grade. If GG is anywhere within the same zipcode as B. Griffith, I'm penciling in us for the final 4 and maybe taking the Vegas odds on us winning the whole damn thing. I'm thinking/hoping for another Dobbs at this point, but probably not this year. And Dobbs would be quite nice to have this year.

I'm pretty sure B. Griffith would've gotten 25 mpg for the Bills when he was in the 8th grade. If GG is anywhere within the same zipcode as B. Griffith, I'm penciling in us for the final 4 and maybe taking the Vegas odds on us winning the whole damn thing. I'm thinking/hoping for another Dobbs at this point, but probably not this year. And Dobbs would be quite nice to have this year.

Uhh, who is B. Griffith? Is he a relative of the dearly departed Andy Griffith? ;)

WOW! Anybody remember that this is a guy who played in 9 games, totaling 29 minutes last year? That's a whole 3 games and 18 inutes behind Manning. Who was five games and 43 minutes behind Barnett. Who qualified for the NCAA's "federal witness protection program" based on his actual appearnace(s).

Who exactly did you expect him to take minutes from? Let's not forget he was a Freshman. Playing behind one of the best players in the A10. On an NCAA team. And please don't bring up Freshman from Kentucky, etc.

Uhh, who is B. Griffith? Is he a relative of the dearly departed Andy Griffith? ;)

Yes, bizzle, Andy is our dearly departed, I appreciate it and good night. Are you thinking of Darrell Griffith, that hated Dr. Dunkenstein, one of D. Crum's minions ? Those were the bad old days. :(

Please never compare GG to Blake Griffin ever again. Stick with a mini-Barkley. Thanks.

Right...that's much more fair and appropriate...comparing Glaze - a guy most of us have never seen play* outside of preseason scrimmages and garbage time - to the leading scorer of the effing Dream Team

why stop there...

Kwamain : mini-Jordan

Ellis : mini-Bird

Evans : mini-Mailman

Jordair : mini-Pippen

McCall : the second coming of Isiah**

Loe : kiwi-Laettner

Remekun : mini-Admiral

Manning : basically a white Patrick Ewing

Barnett : mini-Mullin

Drew : mini-Drexler

and obviously Keith Carter is the Black Stockton

*I realize you're just referencing an old scouting report that compared GG to Sir Charles...but you can't simultaneously be outraged over a Blake Griffin comparison while sanctioning an even more ridiculous one

**in this alternate universe Isiah and Jordan are homies and Magic's retired ass stays home

Right...that's much more fair and appropriate...comparing Glaze - a guy most of us have never seen play* outside of preseason scrimmages and garbage time - to the leading scorer of the effing Dream Team

why stop there...

Kwamain : mini-Jordan

Ellis : mini-Bird

Evans : mini-Mailman

Jordair : mini-Pippen

McCall : the second coming of Isiah**

Loe : kiwi-Laettner

Remekun : mini-Admiral

Manning : basically a white Patrick Ewing

Barnett : mini-Mullin

Drew : mini-Drexler

and obviously Keith Carter is the Black Stockton

*I realize you're just referencing an old scouting report that compared GG to Sir Charles...but you can't simultaneously be outraged over a Blake Griffin comparison while sanctioning an even more ridiculous one

**in this alternate universe Isiah and Jordan are homies and Magic's retired ass stays home

This post is great on so many levels. I particularly like Manning being basically a white Patrick Ewing.

On a sliding scale barometer of sorts, where Justin Johnson, Va'shun Newborne and Tyrone Caswell define the bottom of the dung heap, and where Barkley/Malone/Griffin reside in the top, sweet-smelling fields of aromatic orchids, our Mr. Glaze hovers nearer the bottom trio, and cannot even spy the top trio with a mini-pocket Hubble on his eye. Here's again hoping that changes over time.

@larry72 -- Comparing Glaze to Dobbs seems ludicrous -- Dobbs could shoot the ball some. I'd rather Glaze turn into a Jeff Harris/Brian Conklin clone and be the answer to our paint option dilemma as I see it. Expectations seem to be getting carried away here.

@For Da-Love: I didn't expect him to take anything away from anybody but I was hoping for a little more production than less than an appearance per game (9 out of 30+ games played) and less than a minute per game (29 total minutes). I would think that on a team somewhat lacking in front line depth, one of those two freshmen would have gotten more than they did.

On a sliding scale barometer of sorts, where Justin Johnson, Va'shun Newborne and Tyrone Caswell define the bottom of the dung heap, and where Barkley/Malone/Griffin reside in the top, sweet-smelling fields of aromatic orchids, our Mr. Glaze hovers nearer the bottom trio, and cannot even spy the top trio with a mini-pocket Hubble on his eye. Here's again hoping that changes over time.

@larry72 -- Comparing Glaze to Dobbs seems ludicrous -- Dobbs could shoot the ball some. I'd rather Glaze turn into a Jeff Harris/Brian Conklin clone and be the answer to our paint option dilemma as I see it. Expectations seem to be getting carried away here.

@For Da-Love: I didn't expect him to take anything away from anybody but I was hoping for a little more production than less than an appearance per game (9 out of 30+ games played) and less than a minute per game (29 total minutes). I would think that on a team somewhat lacking in front line depth, one of those two freshmen would have gotten more than they did.

I disagree with your assessment that last year's team lacked front court depth. We had a nine man rotation with four of those guys being bigs. Two of the four bigs averaged double figures ppg. Add in Loe, a skilled 6-11 big, and while Remekun was inconsistent, he is an athletic big who has been in the program for three years. Plus, with Evans getting some minutes at the 4, that is a 5th big in the mix. I know this is a difficult concept for some old Billiken fans to understand, but some talented young players may not get signigicant minutes right away. They might have to wait a season or two due to the quality depth on the roster.

Regarding the Blake Griffin/GG comparison, read carefully what DocB said before you get all worked up, "I'm not saying GG will ever match Griffin skill wise but he just hustles and works it more than anyone on the court. "

Actually, if it comes down to CR or GG developing, I would rather see GG - 3 more years of possible good play is way better than one year as a senior - so if wishing for something then I wish for GG.

@ACE --- then we'll agree to disagree. There were, in my book, only two "front court" players last year -- Conklin and Remekun. Loe and Ellis are typical international bigs in my book, very good on the offensive perimeter which, to me, is not my definition of frontline on offense. They did play typical front court on defense but that was more personnel match-ups than anything else. I see definitions along classic lines; which, I know, may not carry the weight in today's game. Front line is a traditional four/five ---- Malone, Barkely, Rodman, Sikma, Ewing, Russell, Reed, Thurmond, Abdul-Jabbar ---- stationary guys who banged the boards and operate from the foul line in an collected their points in the garbage part of the lane.

Evans is still a little short in that area in my estimation which I believe he demonstarted by rushing far too much on a whole bunch of easy lay-ups last year. Okay, maybe not easy but short. Evans also shot far more threes than any traditional front line player would. While it is only 26 attemnpts in 34 games, at almost one per game, that's a lot for my traditional front line player. Having said that, I'd lke to see Dwayne develop into a better three, but all things seem to indicate he'll be a small four. But I'd still take that.

So now with Conklin gone onyl Remekun remains. Yes, I do think a few minutes per game at those traditional rles are not atypicla for a Loe or Ellis to fill, but anyone believing they will change theire to dat etotal games to go inside is fooling themselves blindly. And again, I'm talking abou offense --- the defnese will once again be match-up issues. But for the shooter to be open, the threat of aninside game HAS to exist. Woudl ytou disagree that we are a periter-based offense?

The out-of-conference season will be an interesting one as we look to fill this void, which I think is a rather large one.

Evans is still a little short in that area in my estimation which I believe he demonstarted (yes he did start last year)

So now with Conklin gone onyl Remekun remains (did CR change his first name?). Yes, I do think a few minutes per game at those traditional rles (DOD acronym?) are not atypicla (i dated a girl named atypicla once) for a Loe or Ellis to fill, but anyone believing they will change theire to dat etotal (ebonics maybe?) games to go inside is fooling themselves blindly. And again, I'm talking abou (more ebonics?) offense --- the defnese (whoa, RM don't want no deaf guys playing for him) will once again be match-up issues. But for the shooter to be open, the threat of aninside (this is a poisonous gas, right?) game HAS to exist. Woudl ytou disagree that we are a periter-based offense? (I would agree you need a very strong cup of Starbucks).

The out-of-conference season will be an interesting one as we look to fill this void, which I think is a rather large one.

Oh, Taj Mahal 79, I think you filled a void with this post... with a lot of Jack D or Jim B. Are these cryptic DOD words, or were the old Taj magic fingers just not operating at the same speed as your brain? I never comment on anyone's spelling on here, mine gets atrocious at times, but this post has to have set some kind of modern day record. :ph34r: