Some praise from Andy Katz

Quoting Katz:

If Majerus pairs Carter with Mitchell as starters in the backcourt and brings Jett and McCall Jr. off the bench, he'll have quite a foursome that will be tough to match.

I think we can be bullish on Carter getting minutes. . . . . I'm not saying he'll start, but I'm pretty sure he'll be in the mix sooner rather than later. . . .

Quoting Katz:

If Majerus pairs Carter with Mitchell as starters in the backcourt and brings Jett and McCall Jr. off the bench, he'll have quite a foursome that will be tough to match.

I think we can be bullish on Carter getting minutes. . . . . I'm not saying he'll start, but I'm pretty sure he'll be in the mix sooner rather than later. . . .

I agree. Cassity averaged close to 20 minutes a game last year and I see Carter getting the majority of those minutes. Barnett will get the same amount of PT as last year unless there are multiple injuries.

Cassity averaged close to 20. Without looking it up, I'd guess it to be closer to 10 for the last 8-12 games. In reality, those are the minutes available unless you are good enough to take from some one else. If I'm JJ or MM, you wouldn't get any of my minutes without a fight, and if I played them at the end of last year ... they are my f..king minutes.

I'd love to be able to go to practices and just watch the competition between KM, JJ, MM, and KC

Interesting part about Majerus and McBroom could ask for a waiver and be allowed to play immediately

I was glad to read in the article that we are expected to play Texas A&M in the first round of the CBE. With two other Pac-12 teams lined up already I was hoping to avoid another game with them. Plus, as I've been reading in the paper, everything about the SEC is GREAT so we'll get to see how great it really is.

Interesting part about Majerus and McBroom could ask for a waiver and be allowed to play immediately

Katz also wrote that they won't really press the issue since McBroom would be struggling to find minutes this season. Best to sit out the year and learn the system and then come on with 3 years of eligibility left and KM gone. I do agree that it is interesting that the possibility is there, though. Seems like the NCAA might be willing to grant exceptions to the sit-out rule when transfers occur after a head coach is fired.

-wow

-i wonder when the conversation between katz and Rick took place

-does calling out teams we are trying to schedule help? mizzou i understand his stance, the others i wonder ( i get the duke thing, we stunk it up last time and Rick seems to be trying to apologize for that)

-i hope KC can live up to what Rick is saying, or surpass it

-stay healthy Bills, stay healthy

-living up to expectations can be a btich as other than mb the progs will have us as a tourney team, we are not sneaking up on anyone, but i have confidence in Rick and the staff to lead us through that

"Leading scorer Brian Conklin is gone up front but the return of Cody Ellis gives the Billikens an anchor inside."

An anchor inside? Not sure I agree with that statement.............

There is no reason Cody Ellis couldn't fill Conklin's shoes this year. Ellis is 2 inches taller than Conklin, scored more points per minute played than Conklin did last season (although a very large amount of those points were due to 3s), and is the same wieght as Conklin. That being said, Ellis hasn't been much of an anchor inside in the past and it isn't likely that his play changes that drastically this year. However, there is a good possibility that if Ellis recieves more minutes, he could be our leading scorer this season.

Honestly, if any one of our bigs steps up as an inside presence, we'll be fine. (and we have a lot of possibilities! JM, CR, CE, RL, GG) Odds are one of the 5 will be able to step up.

-i wish you would post more frequently

Actually, his avatar is NSFW (depending on the job), and if you really want to see that, there are a whole lot of other places you could go. In fact, I believe Steve requested that the poster in question change his avatar to something safe for work.

This article is classic Majerus. I love it. Some view RM as clumsy with the media, but he knows exactly what he is doing. Call up his buddy Andy Katz and start in on his talking points. In the same way he hyped up Barnett and Manning, he is now doing the same with Carter to keep the other guards on their toes. Floating out the idea that Carter could be a starter... great stuff. I'm not trying to dampen the enthusiasm for Carter, who by all accounts is an exciting player who will contribute this year, but I also think RM is really playing it up to motivate the other guards to put in a Conklin summer. And he is doing the same with Grandy here and in radio interviews. It's great having a lot of talented, motivated players competing for playing time.

There is no reason Cody Ellis couldn't fill Conklin's shoes this year. Ellis is 2 inches taller than Conklin, scored more points per minute played than Conklin did last season (although a very large amount of those points were due to 3s), and is the same wieght as Conklin. That being said, Ellis hasn't been much of an anchor inside in the past and it isn't likely that his play changes that drastically this year. However, there is a good possibility that if Ellis recieves more minutes, he could be our leading scorer this season.

Honestly, if any one of our bigs steps up as an inside presence, we'll be fine. (and we have a lot of possibilities! JM, CR, CE, RL, GG) Odds are one of the 5 will be able to step up.

If you look at the season stats - CE played about 1/3rd less minutes than BC and his rebounding avg is about 1/3 less per game than BC. My point is if CE had played as much as BC he would have been the same force rebounding wise that BC was. Do not sell him short - he showed us that he does not mind mixing it up under the basket last year and the fact that he can step out and hit 3s only makes him more of an asset for us.

If you look at the season stats - CE played about 1/3rd less minutes than BC and his rebounding avg is about 1/3 less per game than BC. My point is if CE had played as much as BC he would have been the same force rebounding wise that BC was. Do not sell him short - he showed us that he does not mind mixing it up under the basket last year and the fact that he can step out and hit 3s only makes him more of an asset for us.

I agree. I think a lot of people on here still think of CE as his fr/so years. Late last season he clearly was adding a Conklin type of rebounding and defense to his game. It would not surprise me to see CE step up this year and be a great flex player who can be a force on the boards and also be able to step outside and jack it up from down under this season.

The only complaint with CE's game last year was some inconsistency with his 3pt shooting. We'd have beat MSU if he'd been just a wee bit hotter on some very wide open looks. I thought his D was much improved and his aggressiveness as well. As RM said he led the team in taking charges, that's aggressive. Will he Conk someone on a screen, probably not. Conk was a master at that move and why so many opposing fans hated him and glad to see he's graduated.

We'd have beat MSU if he'd been just a wee bit hotter on some very wide open looks.

-this is probably true from a team aspect in all of our losses, maybe not umass, but the offense has shown it will generate open shots

Actually, his avatar is NSFW (depending on the job), and if you really want to see that, there are a whole lot of other places you could go. In fact, I believe Steve requested that the poster in question change his avatar to something safe for work.

Steve did not ask me to change my avatar unless I totally missed the request. If he did, I would. Otherwise, I see girls in miniskirts like this at the Galleria all the time.

Steve did not ask me to change my avatar unless I totally missed the request. If he did, I would. Otherwise, I see girls in miniskirts like this at the Galleria all the time.

Obviously, I need to go the the Galleria more often!!!

• 2 weeks later...

More Coverage on our Billikens on ESPN Rumor Central:

How the A-10 may be won

2:01PM ET

Virginia Commonwealth Rams

Posted Image

With Virginia Commonwealth and Butler joining the Atlantic 10 this season -- and Temple still hanging around for one more year -- the conference figures to offer some tight competition and entertaining storylines in 2012-13. A number of legitimate contenders are in place, so the league title will likely be determined by a small margin.

Along those lines, turnovers could be key. Particularly if VCU or Saint Louis are left standing when the dust settles. The Rams made a habit of forcing teams to make mistakes when they were in the Colonial Athletic Association. In the A-10, they'll look to do more of the same. Their biggest obstacle in that regard could be the Billikens, who tend to take care of the basketball pretty well. In fact, Rick Majerus' squad turned the ball over just 11.2 times per game in 2011-12 -- best in the conference. Shaka Smart's group comes in at No. 2, having given the ball away just 11.4 times per outing last season.