ok now it is getting crazy

i have long been a proponent of "if they dont want to go to school dont make em". but i meant college. i read on a couple of sites tonite that it is rumored that sebastian telfair, who was signed to go to louisville next year, has now dropped out of high school to get ready for the nba draft. my gosh, finish high school.

I admittedly have not seen Telfair play. However, I can't help but think he's overrated because: 1. He's Stephon Marbury's cousin. and 2. He plays in New York City. The guy is way undersized (6-0, 160 lbs). He'd have a tough time matching up physically against many college PG's let alone NBA guards, more and more of whom are 6-8, 240 lbs. Telfair obviously should stay in school for another month to finish high school.

He should probably go to Louisville and enhance his talent (and draft position.) That obviously isn't the popular thing to do today though. I know its the wrong sport, but I couldn't help but laugh at Michael Irvin during the NFL Draft say that Roy Williams (WR Texas) should NOT have stayed 4 years because if you don't come out early, it shows that you're not serious about the sport. Kids jump early for money. To grill someone for staying four years is absurd.

It's so devalued now that you get one for just showing up for class. This is definitely an example of subconscious racism, but I get tired of people constantly harping on basketball and football players (mostly black) leaving school early. Especially when you consider, white tennis players such as Pete Sampras, who never got a H.S. degree, white Canadian hockey players who regularly skip high school to play in Junior leagues (Brendan Shanahan is one example) and baseball players, who regularly skip baseball.

It wouldn't be the choice of my kid to skip college, much less high school, but I have no problem with a player, who receives good advice, to go for the dollars.

i would think a high school diploma it would help immensely towards some sort of job when he tears up that knee. especially considering the fact he isnt a guaranteed first rounder. now if he knows he is getting the first round money and is smart enough to put it away. ok, i can live with it. but i havent seen anyone say he is a first rounder yet.

Telfair left school on Apr 16 and will return the week of May 3 one week before the deadline to enter the NBA draft. He has good test scores, grades and attendance. He is on track and plans to graduate HS. He is spending this time to workout in preparation for the draft. He will make his announcement on the NBA or college(Louisville) next week to coincide with a potential $10 million shoe deal, possibly with Adidas. The Clippers (7th pick in this year's draft) have attended several of his practices and are one of several teams interested who are in need of a point guard.

it has been 27 years since i was in high school. do all students get a two week paid vacation now?

sorry, if the principal of that school signed off on this, he/she should be fired.

The principal received a letter a letter from the family saying they had to deal with "family issues". She further ststed that this wasn't an excused or unexcused absence. She did say while the HS has a great BB team, education is their first priority.

Doesn't sound like the principal has a whole lot of say in the matter.

once it is obvious "family issues" is playing basketball for agents or scouts or whatever, i would hope it becomes unexcused. if the scouts and agents want to see his stuff, let them show up at 3:30 after school.

In an ideal world the agents and scouts show up after school. But in the real world they show up when they want. Imagine someone standing outside your door right now with a check for $10 million---Would you tell them to come back at 3:30pm??

of course the telfairs wont, but the principal should be doing everything she can to send the message that this shouldnt interfere with sebastian's school. and agreeing to a 2 week vacation isnt sending the right message. someone isnt giving the telfair's good advice on this one imo. it is one thing to roll the dice and skip college, but to ultimately put high school in jeopardy is quite another thing. i just hope this gamble pays off for the kid, because i would hate to think what happens if it all comes crashing down and then he hasnt even gotten through high school. talk about setting your life up the hard way.

I believe that either francisco garcia's brother was shot in telfair's elevator ... or that telfair had a brother killed in their building .. this kid needs that check .. it's more life and death for him than anyone ..

he'll get 10 mill from nike to dribble in commercials and promote their street products .. this kid needs to take the dough

but, i do agree that when you're 2 months away from graduation .. you might as well finish school ..

as i have always said, college is one thing, but like you said, two months from completing high school....come on.

I agree with Roy. Telfair's situation aside, the principal needs to remember that she is the educator, and as such, it is her responsibility to ensure that all of her students graduate meeting all requirements. Also, the principal should be conscious of the message that she is sending to other student-athletes: if you need to improve your game, just take a few weeks off in the middle of the school year to do so. Heck, college basketball players (at SLU at least) don't get to arbitrarily skip classes to independently practice. I didn't see Marque doing this last spring when he was a potential draft pick. If it's not tolerated at the college level, it definitely should not fly in high school.

heck, what if a student wanted to be a carpenter. do you let him/her off 2 weeks to finish building a house or attend a carpenter seminar? i doubt it.

The only way Kobe would ever be a Clipper is if it's in the terms of his probation. Though I don't care for Mr. Bryant, he is a winner, and would never agree to go to a losing franchise like the Clippers.

I also think Telfair is more of a Jason Kidd-like point guard with court vision and passing skills. The only way a double team could help him is if it frees up a big man underneath. However, I wouldn't expect Telfair to take (or make) many shots, open or not.

1. the clips can offer the most money to kobe

2. kobe has a huge house in LA

3. kobe does not like shaq

4. C Chris Kaman (who is developing)

PF Elton Brand

SF Corey Maggete

SG Kobe Bryant

pg Marko Jaric (and one of these guys to back up marko : telfair, devin harris, Jameer Nelson, or shaun livingstone)

sixth man Q. Richardson ..

coach dunleavy ..

this would not be a bad team .. they might be a contender in 2-3 years if they have kobe ..

5. donald sterling has expressed curiosity ..

it is possible .. not saying it's going to happen ..