VCU joining in 2013 - CBSSPORTS reports

Probably means we are down to 2 "rivalry" games for next season. Obviously hope they are Dayton and Xavier.

Which would be a good thing because Duquesne would likely be the third again and they're going to be awful next year.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see the bad in this move. We want to be in the best non BCS conference, and the A-10 is shaping up to be the best. What would be cool is to get a network, CBS Sports, to do a MWC v A-10 rivalry week. And isn't Temple actually gone for the upcoming season? I also think Richmond will be the next A -10 to leave for CUSA because of FB. UMass will end up in the MAC, and then we add Creighton. You have to like the way the A-10 is positioning itself.

Can't see the bad in this move. We want to be in the best non BCS conference, and the A-10 is shaping up to be the best. What would be cool is to get a network, CBS Sports, to do a MWC v A-10 rivalry week. And isn't Temple actually gone for the upcoming season? I also think Richmond will be the next A -10 to leave for CUSA because of FB. UMass will end up in the MAC, and then we add Creighton. You have to like the way the A-10 is positioning itself.

BUT IF THE BIG EAST BLOWS UP!!!!

BUT IF THE BIG EAST BLOWS UP!!!!

Which it's likely to do. Figuring they're going to lose their big name FB schools, ie CT, Rutgers, UL,Cincy, and ND, they'll have 7 schools left that are BB only. Two of them are midwest, they'll be looking to add mid west schools to make it at least a 12 team conference. If SLU isn't one of them then Fr. B should be hung.

That said, I like what the A-10 is doing. It may not be us looking for a conference as much as it is the left over Beast schools looking for some place to land.

Reading these articles always remind me of how out of touch Biondi is. He has no visibility whatsover when it comes to athletics. They interviewed X's president. And the article posted yesterday about FSU was written by there president. I couldn't imagine Biondi articulating the points the way these guys do. (italics added)

Reading these posts often reminds me that strong CEOs attract gratuitous criticism like this.

The quotes in the ESPN article were from relevant league and college personnel (Fr. Graham was identified as chairman of the Atlantic 10's council of presidents).

PS: Watch those homophones.

Temple joins the Big East for football in 2012. They join in all other sports in 2013. Thus, they will play one final basketball season in the A-10, as will Charlotte.

Which it's likely to do. Figuring they're going to lose their big name FB schools, ie CT, Rutgers, UL,Cincy, and ND, they'll have 7 schools left that are BB only. Two of them are midwest, they'll be looking to add mid west schools to make it at least a 12 team conference. If SLU isn't one of them then Fr. B should be hung.

That said, I like what the A-10 is doing. It may not be us looking for a conference as much as it is the left over Beast schools looking for some place to land.

I hope you right!

Something to consider is that VCU just spent $6mm ($5mm of forgone NCAA tourney revenues and close to $1mm in joining fees) to become members of the A-10. They obviously don't feel like this is a conference on the brink of being purged by the basketball only schools in the Big East.

Talk of Big East breakups is more internet fodder than reality. Personally, I wish Billiken fans would focus more on how good the new A-10 is going to be rather than wishful dreams of playing teams like Depaul, St. John, Seton Hall and Providence (I will grant that Marquette and G-town are premium names).

Something to consider is that VCU just spent $6mm ($5mm of forgone NCAA tourney revenues and close to $1mm in joining fees) to become members of the A-10. They obviously don't feel like this is a conference on the brink of being purged by the basketball only schools in the Big East.

Talk of Big East breakups is more internet fodder than reality. Personally, I wish Billiken fans would focus more on how good the new A-10 is going to be rather than wishful dreams of playing teams like Depaul, St. John, Seton Hall and Providence (I will grant that Marquette and G-town are premium names).

kshoe, I agree that the new A-10 continues to get stronger. The league is making strong moves to ensure that it is the best non-BCS conference. Why do you feel the potential Big East breakup is more internet fodder than reality? You have probably followed the conference shuffle closer than I have, but when I look at the Big East, it seems that really the only schools keeping it together are Louisville and UConn. If Louisville bolts for the Big 12 or UConn goes to the ACC, I just can't see why Georgetown, Villanova, etc. would want to stick with the likes of Houston, SMU and UCF.

kshoe, I agree that the new A-10 continues to get stronger. The league is making strong moves to ensure that it is the best non-BCS conference. Why do you feel the potential Big East breakup is more internet fodder than reality? You have probably followed the conference shuffle closer than I have, but when I look at the Big East, it seems that really the only schools keeping it together are Louisville and UConn. If Louisville bolts for the Big 12 or UConn goes to the ACC, I just can't see why Georgetown, Villanova, etc. would want to stick with the likes of Houston, SMU and UCF.

I guess I've just reached a point of hearing about the Big East break-up for so long that I'm tired of it. Not to mention, its seemed inevitable forever yet it still hasn't happened so it has to raise questions about whether it will ever happen.

Basically, I'm really happy with where the A-10 is now and SLU's place within it and would like to see how well this conference can compete with the Big East's of the world now that they have added those crap basketball programs while losing Syracuse and Pitt.

Reading these posts often reminds me that strong CEOs attract gratuitous criticism like this.

The quotes in the ESPN article were from relevant league and college personnel (Fr. Graham was identified as chairman of the Atlantic 10's council of presidents).

PS: Watch those homophones.

LOL...the grammar correction...always a sign of a post with substance. I think that's the first one I've had in my decade posting here.

If you can point to one article where Father Biondi has articulated anything that makes you think he understands college athletics, I will take this back. I'm not really going out on a limb here. I don't think there are a lot of us who think the good father is the right person to move SLU athletics to the next tier.

I've said it once and I'l say it again....FB has done a lot for SLU and the surrounding area. I don't think he has done a lot for our athletics programs...especially not when compared to his peers.

I guess I've just reached a point of hearing about the Big East break-up for so long that I'm tired of it. Not to mention, its seemed inevitable forever yet it still hasn't happened so it has to raise questions about whether it will ever happen.

Basically, I'm really happy with where the A-10 is now and SLU's place within it and would like to see how well this conference can compete with the Big East's of the world now that they have added those crap basketball programs while losing Syracuse and Pitt.

I'm with Ace here. Yes, it seems like talk of the Big East break-up has been going on forever, but in many ways, it's already happening, it is just taking a few more steps than the prognosticators might have thought. With the recent departures and additions, the conference is becoming a mish-mash of football and basketball and I can't believe that the basketball-only schools are liking the way the conference is shaping up. Personally, I still think it's only a matter of time before we start talking about a potential A-10/B-East merger.

In the meantime, I'm loving the additions to the A-10. Definite improvement and the league is going to be tough as hell next year. I think we'll be the favorites heading into next season, but I would say there are six or seven potential NCAA tourney teams in the A-10 next season with us, Temple, VCU, X, UMass, St. Joe, and maybe Dayton.

Yes. The Big East has not imploded yet but changes are happening. The original Big East which left Memphis out in the cold as changed its mind. Other teams have gone. To me, saying the Big East hasn't imploded is similar to saying that UMass hasn't left yet and therefore the lack of UMass leaving also "has to raise questions about whether it will ever happen." To me, it sure sounds like UMass wants bigger time football and won't be happy until it gets it. Other teams have similar desires. In short, everything has been/remains football driven. As long as football teams remain unstable, then the conferences remain unstable.

Yes. The Big East has not imploded yet but changes are happening. The original Big East which left Memphis out in the cold as changed its mind. Other teams have gone. To me, saying the Big East hasn't imploded is similar to saying that UMass hasn't left yet and therefore the lack of UMass leaving also "has to raise questions about whether it will ever happen." To me, it sure sounds like UMass wants bigger time football and won't be happy until it gets it. Other teams have similar desires. In short, everything has been/remains football driven. As long as football teams remain unstable, then the conferences remain unstable.

As for UMass, isn't it very possible that they can go to the MAC as a football-only school (like Temple had been doing) and still remain in the A-10 for other sports? Heck, even when Temple was originally in the Big East for football, and was then relegated out of that league for being terrible, they still remained an A-10 basketball school. I would just think that with the history that UMass has with the A-10, they wouldn't want to ship their basketball over to the MAC if they can help it. And right now, I don't see them going to a BCS conference for football anytime soon.

Well, we've been talking about the Big East imploding since the day we entered the A-10 and it hasn't happened yet. The serious UMass leaving discussions are measured in months. You'll have to pardon me for not thinking those two are comparable.

One can play the "if this, then that" game with the Big East all day long but the fact that is has survived the departure of two of its premier programs and is going to continue on with additions like Houston, SMU and Central Florida tells me it has more than nine lives. I'll gladly eat my words the day we are in an all basketball conference with Marquette, Depaul, Butler, Xavier and Dayton but my personal view it is more wishful thinking by billikens.com posters than true reality.

And since football is driving things, I can't imagine Louisville, UConn, South Florida, Rutgers and Cincinnati are content to be in what is now essentially a glorified C-USA. I'm sure they are all exploring ways to get into the Big 12 or ACC. If/when Louisville and UConn leave, the basketball only BE schools have to ask themselves what in the hell are they still doing there. It seems like just one more big domino needs to fall in the BE. The good thing is that with the latest developments, the sense of urgency to unite with the Catholic BE schools is a lot less. A stronger A-10 has really narrowed the gap with a weakened BE.

The good thing is that with the latest developments, the sense of urgency to unite with the Catholic BE schools is a lot less. A stronger A-10 has really narrowed the gap with a weakened BE.

This is such an important point. A few years, the gap between the Big East and the A-10 was huge; now it is much closer. In a few years, when the other Big East football schools bail, there will be two very similar Eastern/Central-based, basketball-focused conferences. At that point it may not even matter, but a merger may be an inevitable solution.

The A-10's aggressive approach to strengthen itself has been very, very encouraging.

The good thing is that with the latest developments, the sense of urgency to unite with the Catholic BE schools is a lot less. A stronger A-10 has really narrowed the gap with a weakened BE.

Ace, at the end of the day this is the key point and what I was really trying to say. In some ways I don't care if the Big East implodes now and am fine with the status quo. In fact, if you add in the possibility of an implosion on SLU somehow being on the outs of a new league (its not a 0% chance we'd get screwed) I'd prefer just to keep things the way they are.