3 players at cbc

-frank had an interview with coach mccormack from cbc as there are 3 players that i think will be juniors in the fall (i don't remember their names, sorry)

-these 3 kids play aau ball together and it seems they had a great tourney in milwaukee a couple of weeks ago and the phone started ringing from big name schools

-at least one of the kids is a great student (they all might be but i remember the comments about one in particular)

-they did mention SLU is on them (Coach Whitesell)

-frank and mccormack did talk about the possibility of all 3 going to one school (a lot of things have to align to make this work, imo), two of them were mentioned to be very close friends

-i saw cbc play once last season, these kids must have 'found it'

-anyone know more about them and any preferences they may have at this stage?

-anyone know more about them and any preferences they may have at this stage?

Jordan Barnett is a 6'7" SF

Raymond Doby a 6'7" PF

Patrick McCaw a 6'3" SG

All will be juniors and SLU has shown interest in all of them. However, Barnett has shown a lot of interest in Mizzou and Louisville, even saying "Louisville is my dream school." Doby may be the most talented if Barnett isn't, but he has shown some decent character concerns. McCaw is good but it's yet to be seen how good he is. Might be lower mid-major.

Booker played well at Iowa State

When I saw John Smith school him at the Fetz a couple of years ago, that told me a lot about what kind of player he is. A player that some national publications mistakenly ranked as a Top 50 recruit coming out of high school is now entering his 5th season as a solid back-up. I'm impressed!

Booker played well at Iowa State

I make a comment about hoping they have better luck and your response is Booker played well at Iowa St? Those guys were billed as the second coming out of HS (at least in STL). Once we signed Femi, a lot of people claimed we got the worst of the three (most likely because he was a Soderberg recruit and all things Soderberg were/are evil). Fast forward and you have one guy in jail (I think...or at least legal problems), another barely contributing at Iowa State after the drama that occured at SIU, and third who is a very well respected and highly intelligent member of the staff/team who has a bright future.

I'm sorry, but if this is your expectation for the kids you are pimping out, it is no wonder you get so much sh!t on here. As somebody in a position of influence, I think you need to expect more of these guys.

The STLHI bashing is so out of line. It takes a pretty warped mentality to rail against someone providing information on local HS recruits, even if he's being generous in evaluations of some of them. No one on this board, regardless of how much we actually know about recruits, has been right 100% of the time about how a given player will pan out. That goes for ESPN, Scout, and the other "experts", too. And SLU's staff at any given time, for that matter.

I, for one, appreciate the information from STLHI and don't mind at all that he takes a positive overall approach with his material. That's kind of the point of what he does - or did, anyway, before certain posters had to chase him off.

The STLHI bashing is so out of line. It takes a pretty warped mentality to rail against someone providing information on local HS recruits, even if he's being generous in evaluations of some of them. No one on this board, regardless of how much we actually know about recruits, has been right 100% of the time about how a given player will pan out. That goes for ESPN, Scout, and the other "experts", too. And SLU's staff at any given time, for that matter.

I, for one, appreciate the information from STLHI and don't mind at all that he takes a positive overall approach with his material. That's kind of the point of what he does - or did, anyway, before certain posters had to chase him off.

He brings it upon himself. His recent gems include reviving a year old Tyler Griffey thread, telling everyone that Illinois & Mizzou > SLU, and giving consistent updates on guys like Josh Harrelson. I can't imagine why people are sick of his act. :rolleyes:

He is not a SLU fan. I believe he has a dislike of SLU to be honest. Find me the last positive thing he said about Saint Louis University or one of our players. You might be looking for awhile.

Maybe you should go to www.stlouishighschoolbasketballforum.com if you want to talk about the former legends of STLHSBB.

I absolutely agree with this - well said!

Nashville. +1

Pistol. There is a difference between "someone providing information" and posters with agendas and "being in the tank" with certain groups like the local AAU scene and then using this information to take shots at SLU's head coach and programs. This is a Billiken basketball forum and not a high school sports forum. The topic of Booker, Roundtree and John was brought up - and not by me. Hindsight has proven Brad correct and yet he was sure made into a fool on this Board a few years back. Curious. Was Brad Soderberg himself (or a confident of his so as not to violate NCAA rules) supposed to join this Board and publicly state that did know how to evaluate talent, that he did consider and show interest in certain local kids but that he backed off of them because of unfavorable character traits, poor grades/study skills, drug use....If direct and civil challenges directed at posters is considered chasing them off, then so be it.

He brings it upon himself. His recent gems include reviving a year old Tyler Griffey thread, telling everyone that Illinois & Mizzou > SLU, and giving consistent updates on guys like Josh Harrelson. I can't imagine why people are sick of his act. :rolleyes: He is not a SLU fan. I believe he has a dislike of SLU to be honest. Find me the last positive thing he said about Saint Louis University or one of our players. You might be looking for awhile.

Is this happening? I haven't seen it. I don't mind updates on former recruits, either. I find it interesting to see who's doing well and who isn't.

There is a difference between "someone providing information" and posters with agendas and "being in the tank" with certain groups like the local AAU scene and then using this information to take shots at SLU's head coach and programs. This is a Billiken basketball forum and not a high school sports forum. The topic of Booker, Roundtree and John was brought up - and not by me. Hindsight has proven Brad correct and yet he was sure made into a fool on this Board a few years back. Curious. Was Brad Soderberg himself (or a confident of his so as not to violate NCAA rules) supposed to join this Board and publicly state that did know how to evaluate talent, that he did consider and show interest in certain local kids but that he backed off of them because of unfavorable character traits, poor grades/study skills, drug use....If direct and civil challenges directed at posters is considered chasing them off, then so be it.

Booker and Roundtree weren't just hyped by STLHI. Others have stated how they were nationally ranked recruits. Clearly STLHI was not the only one who overrated them or didn't see character issues at the time. Also, does Brad really deserve credit for passing on these guys? He passed on most other local kids, too, and look at a lot of the players we wound up with instead.

vtime and his brother have absolutely earned the crap they catch on here.

To a degree. But now he can't say anything at all without being immediately ganged up on here. Look at his comment in this thread: "Booker played well at Iowa State." That's true. Did it deserve multiple attacks?

It's all right for the board to have posters with the occasional insight or piece of information that we don't all agree with all the time. Without naming names, we have a lot of other posters here who offer absolutely no insight or information or perspective or even an accidental shred of intelligence (not you guys, but in general).

Is this happening? I haven't seen it. I don't mind updates on former recruits, either. I find it interesting to see who's doing well and who isn't.

From a month+ old thread regarding the border war game...

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Posted Imagebilliken_roy, on 23 December 2011 - 07:16 AM, said:

i agree. the billikens are indeed the best team in the two state area.

Better than the #2 ranked Mizzou Tigers?

--------------------------------------------------------------

From a week old thread about Oklahoma...

STL Hoops Insider

Senior

• Posted Image
  • Members
  • Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • 1,492 posts

625]

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

Posted ImageJMM28, on 04 January 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

SLU would thump Illinois at the Fetz or neutral. At Assembly Hall it would be closer but a victory. Illinois isn't a very good team.

Do you mean the same Illinois team that beat Ohio State?

------------------------------------------

pistol i agree with the group saying stlinsider gets what he deserves. in fact imo this board has been very patient with the condenscending, "i told you so" attitude and the tiger b.s.

also, for the record, soderberg only shut out roundtree and booker. he went after femi hard. my info says clock is right on the mark on soderberg's read on roundtree and booker.

Booker and Roundtree weren't just hyped by STLHI. Others have stated how they were nationally ranked recruits. Clearly STLHI was not the only one who overrated them or didn't see character issues at the time. Also, does Brad really deserve credit for passing on these guys? He passed on most other local kids, too, and look at a lot of the players we wound up with instead.

To a degree. But now he can't say anything at all without being immediately ganged up on here. Look at his comment in this thread: "Booker played well at Iowa State." That's true. Did it deserve multiple attacks?

It's all right for the board to have posters with the occasional insight or piece of information that we don't all agree with all the time. Without naming names, we have a lot of other posters here who offer absolutely no insight or information or perspective or even an accidental shred of intelligence.

Yes, Insider said that SLU could not "hang" with Illinois or Mizzou. Even though he has tried to get others to eat crow, he has never taken back his ridiculous statement. Agree with moytoy, "Insider" is not a fan of SLU or even shows the program much respect. Regarding Booker, we didn't miss anything there. I have the Carbondale-SLU game recorded from a couple of years ago. I think we held him to a goose egg in that game and frustrated him so badly that he quit playing late in the second half. Not somebody I'm impressed with.

You might be getting vtime and his brother confused. vtime did offer some occasional insight and I thought was treatly unfairly a bit at times, but "Insider" offers nothing of value and typically deserves the crap he gets.

a lot of stlinsider's pain is likely the after season fact that when the dust settled, the area perception of the overall season was higher for our billikens than for his tigers. i.e. he had to eat crow. had he come back to the board and acknowledged that, i bet a lot of people would be more than happy to forgive and forget. he didnt.

You might be getting vtime and his brother confused. vtime did offer some occasional insight and I thought was treatly unfairly a bit at times, but "Insider" offers nothing of value and typically deserves the crap he gets.

This could be part of it. V-time posted a lot more frequently under the old name and shortly after the name change than in the past year or so. He was a lot more pro-SLU than STLHI is now.

Also, there can be SLU fans that think we'd get beaten by Mizzou or Illinois or whoever. It's okay not to think we'll win every game. Yes, it's annoying when it's a pattern. But it doesn't mean when he makes a single comment we need to come down on him for his entire history.

If that's the case, I would reply to every single post from Metz with a reminder that this is his 20th or so username here because he has a long, long pattern of saying something bigoted or otherwise offensive or even making physical threats toward Steve and getting banned. But not every post deserves that.

Look at his comment in this thread: "Booker played well at Iowa State." That's true. Did it deserve multiple attacks?

Not true. Booker's numbers scale up decently, but his playing time says it all. He's a gotdamn fuoking scrub. Glad WE got Femi.

GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG

32 11.6 3.5 44.9 42.1 53.6 0.1 2.9 0.6 0.5

To get somewhat back on topic.

McCaw and Doby quit the Eagles this weekend. Doby is on Mac Irvin, McCaw All Ohio.

Doby has gotten into some trouble at CBC and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't play there at all next year or was removed midseason.

I like Barnett & McCaw. NH is right, MCCaw's recruitment level has not been determined, he may be a mid to low major player & I don't kow how much interest SLU has in him. Barnett is a stud and could blow up into a top 100 player. Barnett has a lot of teams coming after now, SLU may have become an afterthought.

This could be part of it. V-time posted a lot more frequently under the old name and shortly after the name change than in the past year or so. He was a lot more pro-SLU than STLHI is now.

Also, there can be SLU fans that think we'd get beaten by Mizzou or Illinois or whoever. It's okay not to think we'll win every game. Yes, it's annoying when it's a pattern. But it doesn't mean when he makes a single comment we need to come down on him for his entire history.

If that's the case, I would reply to every single post from Metz with a reminder that this is his 20th or so username here because he has a long, long pattern of saying something bigoted or otherwise offensive or even making physical threats toward Steve and getting banned. But not every post deserves that.

True, but Insider said that we could not "hang" with Mizzou or Illinois. That is a ridiculous statement, particularly in the case of Illinois... a team that didn't even make the postseason of any kind. We also did a pretty good job "hanging" with number 1 seed Michigan State. It stands to reason at the very least, that we could "hang" with the two teams that he has so much admiration for. Not everybody needs to be a SLU pom pom waver, but this guy is a damn fool.

I have no problem with a SLU fan saying that we wouldn't win every game. I do have a problem when trolls come on and do it.

I have no problem with a SLU fan saying that we wouldn't win every game. I do have a problem when trolls come on and do it.

Me too. I'm all for banning people like MUTGR.