Kenpom on Rick

Jk47

+1. ...high praise from KPom

RM reminds me of Whitey Herzog. A coach who had few all stars over the years but was always in the playoffs...always competitive by finding players he could mold into his system. The whole was always greater than the sum of the parts.....same with RM. A tip of the cap to Coach for a great season.

I wrote in my original Memphis spread post within hours after the bracket releases that this was ouir worst draw. For those thar were following my posts in Feb you may remember me posting about being favored in all the remaining games in the season. I was not concerned about X in our home game as I had us winning that handily. As Feb wore on, I started to include that we would win the first round of the Big Dance before most even had us dancing. I came to that conclusion when I realized the only teams that could beat us would be 4 seeds or lower....an unlikely scenario as we were projecting as a 7-10 seed. The Selection committee crossed things up by downgrading 2 teams (Memphis and us) to 8 and 9.... In the end this game is the equivalent of a 2nd round game (field of 32) where a 4 and 5 seed meet up.

Those in the basketball world who are in the know realize this and will focus on this game more than an ordinary 8/9 seed. Unfortunately, it will take a win over MSU to finally bring us the notriety we deserve...no easy task. At this point, we just need to take it "won" game at a time. Then we can make the rest of the world Bill-lievers.

Go Bills.

"On Friday, he’ll take a team whose third-best player is some dude named Cody Ellis against a team whose third-best player is Tarik Black, a projected future first-round pick."

I follow college hoops heavily and I've never heard of Tarik Black until a few days ago.

Good article, but the disrespect for Cody was unnecessary.

Our team might not have much NBA potential outside of Cassity, but we have plenty of basketball talent on this team.

Good work by Kenpom. But I would disagree that Majerus has had 4 dismal seasons. Winning 23 games two years ago with the youngest team in the country, getting jobbed on an NIT bid and finishing 2nd in the CBI wouldn't be dismal in my book.

A bit overstated but makes for a good story.

+1. ...high praise from KPom

RM reminds me of Whitey Herzog. A coach who had few all stars over the years but was always in the playoffs..Go Bills.

As I recall Whitey had an all-star or two. George Brett, Hal McRae, Frank White, Darrel Porter, Amos Otis, Freddie Patek, Ozzie Smith, Vince Coleman, Willie McGee, Todd Worrell, Jack Clark, Tommy Herr, Joaquin Andujar, Bruce Sutter, George Hendrick, Lonnie Smith, Pedro Guerrero, etc.

As I recall Whitey had an all-star or two. George Brett, Hal McRae, Frank White, Darrel Porter, Amos Otis, Freddie Patek, Ozzie Smith, Vince Coleman, Willie McGee, Todd Worrell, Jack Clark, Tommy Herr, Joaquin Andujar, Bruce Sutter, George Hendrick, Lonnie Smith, Pedro Guerrero, etc.

Didn't say he didn't have any all stars....the Redbirds just weren't heavily represented in the All Star games during the Whitey years. During his 11 year tenure Whitey had 29 all stars or about 2.6 /year. During that same period the Cubs had 28 All Stars . So with just 1 more All Star over an 11 year period the Cards were much more successful. And that was my point. Whitey could mold teams....Just like RM molds teams. Both got the most out of their players.

Didn't say he didn't have any all stars....the Redbirds just weren't heavily represented in the All Star games during the Whitey years. During his 11 year tenure Whitey had 29 all stars or about 2.6 /year. During that same period the Cubs had 28 All Stars . So with just 1 more All Star over an 11 year period the Cards were much more successful. And that was my point. Whitey could mold teams....Just like RM molds teams. Both got the most out of their players.

No, you said he had "few" all-stars. The Cubs did have a few regular all-stars with Sandberg and Dawson during that time. How many all-stars did other teams average during that time (I don't know the answer there)? Keep in mind that baseball's all-star selection is probably worse than any other sport considering the fans vote the starters in. Also, you said that he was "always" in the playoffs. Whitey made it in 3 times while he was in St. Louis.

No, you said he had "few" all-stars. The Cubs did have a few regular all-stars with Sandberg and Dawson during that time. How many all-stars did other teams average during that time (I don't know the answer there)? Keep in mind that baseball's all-star selection is probably worse than any other sport considering the fans vote the starters in. Also, you said that he was "always" in the playoffs. Whitey made it in 3 times while he was in St. Louis.

Hmm...It looks like you missed the point of the post (actually you missed a few points)....which was to compare 2 coaches who get the most out of their players. I would love to discuss the Cards with you and the inequities of all star ballots and why you think the Cubs were equal to the Cards....but I won't because that is another point you have missed. This is a Billiken board. And finally you missed the main point of the post which was to discuss KPom view of RM being a great coach. I don't believe I saw your opinion of RM as a coach. Now that would be on point for this thread.

Hmm...It looks like you missed the point of the post (actually you missed a few points)....which was to compare 2 coaches who get the most out of their players. I would love to discuss the Cards with you and the inequities of all star ballots and why you think the Cubs were equal to the Cards....but I won't because that is another point you have missed. This is a Billiken board. And finally you missed the main point of the post which was to discuss KPom view of RM being a great coach. I don't believe I saw your opinion of RM as a coach. Now that would be on point for this thread.

MrSlu, mrwiz us right. Whitey was able to produce winning teams with Hall of Famers like George Brett and MVP's like Willie McGee. He sure molded those Cardinal teams to 3 playoff teams in like 11 years. That's a little better than RM has done with his one tourney appearance in 5 years. But that's beside the point. They are both great managers regardless if they have nothing in common.

MrSlu, mrwiz us right. Whitey was able to produce winning teams with Hall of Famers like George Brett and MVP's like Willie McGee. He sure molded those Cardinal teams to 3 playoff teams in like 11 years. That's a little better than RM has done with his one tourney appearance in 5 years. But that's beside the point. They are both great managers regardless if they have nothing in common.

Please see post #17 on the "What time is everyone leaving?" thread.