Burwell Article - MU vs. SLU

kshoe

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/burwell-bring-back-mizzou-slu-showdown/article_18ee9686-f88c-5b39-8494-3cd3682a0011.html

Love the fact that Majerus can simply suggest to Bryan to try and make the game happen and 2 days later there's an article on it.

Still, the fact remains that the MU athletic department and most of their fanbase are to chickensheat to play the game so it likely won't happen anytime soon. They'll have too many "rivalry" games with Auburn, South Carolina, Georgia, LSU etc. to worry about next year during basketball season.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand Mizzou is ducking it. I also understand that comment is from one source, and the one that is the other side of this fence. It took legislation in Kentucky to get UK and the UofL together annually. UNC, NC State and Duke are all in the same conference. I know Maryland wants to re-up with Georgetown after all these years. Loyola (Md.) and Johns Hopkins finally played in women's lacrosse (I know, not the same) for the first time in THIRTY years -- and they are less than a mile away from each other and both are goo din that sport. Nova wants nothing to do with Temple/St.Joe's/LaSalle/Penn other than what is due annually due to Big Five allegiances. Mizzou will likely say they have too much to lose and nothing to gain. I understand that --- and I understand its shortsightedness.

I don't care to play Vermont, Alabama State, Texas Southern or some others. I can't believe Mizzou would rather have Coppin Satte, Kennesaw State, SC Upstate or similar games.

Mizzou will likely say they have too much to lose and nothing to gain. I understand that --- and I understand its shortsightedness.

Had SLU and Mizzou played this year, we would have been the highest RPI on their non-con schedule. Throughout their schedule, only Baylor and KU have higher RPI numbers.

Obviously that wouldn't have been known to start the year, but shows that we aren't some sort of "nothing to gain everything to lose" proposition.

Had SLU and Mizzou played this year, we would have been the highest RPI on their non-con schedule. Throughout their schedule, only Baylor and KU have higher RPI numbers.

Obviously that wouldn't have been known to start the year, but shows that we aren't some sort of "nothing to gain everything to lose" proposition.

Good point. Something tells me the chances of Mizzou starting up a series next year when we return all but one of our key contributors and they lose 5 of their 7 contributors is pretty small. I don't care how many transfers or injured guys they have waiting on the bench, they won't want to play us.

"As recently as last year, May said he and his counterpart at Missouri, Mike Alden, had very preliminary conversations about getting it going again. But because of the rebuilding state of the SLU program, both seemed to agree that the time wasn't right to push for the re-start of the rivalry."

This seems like a load of sh*t and May is just letting Alden off easy.

When we played from 1999 to 2001 our record was 19-14, 17-14, and 15-16. In the four years before that our record was 16-14, 11-18, 22-11 (NCAA appearance), and 15-16. I understand we could still rely on the good runs in the early-to-mid 90's, but weren't much better than we have been for the last 7 years.

forget mizzou...i'd like to see a home and away with illinois...and an annual game with a big ten opponent...ohio state, purdue, michigan state...those would be great matches...more jesuit school games too...usf, loyola, marquette and bc...let's start playing some decent pre-conference games, instead of the div 2 woosies that we get...i don't care if we lose every game, let's see some decent teams...

According to my sources, the entire onus is on Mizzou and has been for the last four or five years. It sounds like to me that Majerus has wanted this from day one and the powers that be up the road 120 miles keep saying "thanks but no." They feel coming to St. Louis for the Bragging Rights game is enough and satisifes their fan base. I can tell you this, play it at Savvis and it will be a Mizzou home game. Chaifetz or nothing in my book. With Black and Gold attire confiscated at the door.

Ooooh .. naked Golden Girls!

According to my sources, the entire onus is on Mizzou and has been for the last four or five years. It sounds like to me that Majerus has wanted this from day one and the powers that be up the road 120 miles keep saying "thanks but no." They feel coming to St. Louis for the Bragging Rights game is enough and satisifes their fan base. I can tell you this, play it at Savvis and it will be a Mizzou home game. Chaifetz or nothing in my book. With Black and Gold attire confiscated at the door.

i agree our home game has to be a chaifetz game. if they want to make it one at scotttrade one at paige dome and one at chaifetz i could live with that assuming we got 10,000 of the scottrade seats.

The onus has been 100% on Mizzou for way, way longer than four or five years. Norm Stewart refused during his entire tenure until he was on the way out, for Quin Snyder to deal with. When we wanted to renew it, Mizzou said no thanks. When Romar left, Soderberg called them every season and left a calendar date open for Mizzou as long as possible every season before filling it. Now Majerus has made his position and his staff's actions very clear.

The onus has been 100% on Mizzou for way, way longer than four or five years. Norm Stewart refused during his entire tenure until he was on the way out, for Quin Snyder to deal with. When we wanted to renew it, Mizzou said no thanks. When Romar left, Soderberg called them every season and left a calendar date open for Mizzou as long as possible every season before filling it. Now Majerus has made his position and his staff's actions very clear.

So true. The funniest thing about this discussion is when Mizzou fans whine that SLU only requests the game when we are good. Nothing could be further from the truth. We'd do it on a fair basis (home and home, true neutral court, etc.) anytime.

Been having this convo on twitter, and I'll quote my SLU fan buddy here: "If I were Mizzou I would be doing what they are. Why play a 75-125 RPI team in their Superbowl when you can play a 75-125 team in an easier win?" It might be a fun game to watch, but do you really blame Alden for not making the game happen?

As a Mizzou fan, what bothers me about it is the media. Sportswriters only crow about it when SLU is good. There is never an article in the Post-Dispatch calling Mizzou out for ducking SLU when SLU isn't any good; it's only that one out of every five years that SLU is good and all of the sudden it's a crime that Mizzou won't play them. Give me a break.

Been having this convo on twitter, and I'll quote my SLU fan buddy here: "If I were Mizzou I would be doing what they are. Why play a 75-125 RPI team in their Superbowl when you can play a 75-125 team in an easier win?" It might be a fun game to watch, but do you really blame Alden for not making the game happen?

As a Mizzou fan, what bothers me about it is the media. Sportswriters only crow about it when SLU is good. There is never an article in the Post-Dispatch calling Mizzou out for ducking SLU when SLU isn't any good; it's only that one out of every five years that SLU is good and all of the sudden it's a crime that Mizzou won't play them. Give me a break.

No- give us a break. The all-time series is MU 21, SLU 19, hardly domination, and that's with Mizzou winning 4 of the last 5 games. Of those 5 games, only one was not a close game.

Mizzou has opened a veritable Boone County Bakery when it comes to serving up (non-conference) cupcakes. It is really quite comical, and it is far past time that Mizzou is called out for it. The Boone County Bakery has a special for pressed duck because it is perpetual Duck Season in Boone County. Duck Season took only a short 3 season hiatus from 1999-2001 ('00-'02 seasons) 3 highly entertaining, highly competitive games. But after that, Duck Season returned.

What SLU winning does is give elements of the St. Louis media (such as ones that didn't go to Mizzou) the standing and evidentiary support to call out Mizzou and demand the resumption of the series. Then there is the old Antler, Gordo, who threw out rubbish about SLU being in a future conference with UMKC. Even you guys ought to object to Gordo for that. That really makes you guys look bad.

The best way for Kansas to stick it to Old Mizzou would be for KU to play a home and home with SLU. According to Coach Majerus, preliminary word is that SLU is playing Kansas next season in the CBE Classic in Kansas City.

SLU wins, goes to the Big Dance, gets the media behind the real hometown team, and Mizzou will come to the table.

Ive never understood the entire "we have nothing to gain from it. It a lose lose situation. if we win we are supposed to if we lose its a bad loss" type arguments.

Couldnt those same arguments be used when they play the Binghamptons of the world?

Wouldnt a loss to one of these cupcakes they schedule be much more damaging?

Burwell is right (it hurts to say that) it makes would make financial sense, it would be great for the fans, and it would generate a huge buzz for college basketball in the state of Missouri.

I have always been a big Norm Stewart fan and I know how well respected he is by the Mizzou faithful. He was in favor of the match-up and I would think his thoughts would still carry a lot of weight with Mizzou fans and staff, but I guess not.

From what I hear SLU is trying to be as accomodating as possible (2 for 1's, home and home plus KC and STL) its past time to make it happen.

If Mizzou is as big time as they think they are a loss to a little A-10 school should'nt hurt them much and beating an A-10 school sure would look better than a victory over who gives a crap state.

Take this Mizzou loving BS elswhere. Mizzou acts like its recent string of success as a consistent Top 25 team is and has been set in stone since Naismith first started the game. Since 2000, sure. Mizzou has had solid reasons for not playing SLU. But the rivalry should have been well established by then. Stewart was a wuss (and one of THE MOST OVER RATED COACHES) and wouldn't play Charlie.

Haith knows he would be so out X'ed and so out O'ed by Majerus that his press, or his recruits, or the Sprint Center, or whatever still would make this a game they could lose everytime.

Man up. Wisconsin plays Marquette, they did during MU's down years and vice versa. This is a relationship and a rivalry that could benifit both schools. Sack up Tigers, let's ball.

Not a crime Just a typical chickenshitte move.

"If I were Mizzou I would be doing what they are. Why play a 75-125 RPI team in their Superbowl when you can play a 75-125 team in an easier win?"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL...mizzou fans are so clueless. You guys are not some sort of high major program. You're having a great year and congrats on that. We're doing pretty good ourselves. The fact of the matter is you guys are scared...plain and simple. Your gonna get DOMINATED in the SEC...I'm just happy that Vandy will have a whipping boy for the forseeable future.

Get your head out of your ass and play SLU. If you dominate then we'll call it quits...but the fact is that you won't and you never have.

Tigerluke, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Enjoy getting your brains splattered on the curb in the SEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9TXVMkQ29g

No- give us a break. The all-time series is MU 21, SLU 19, hardly domination, and that's with Mizzou winning 4 of the last 5 games. Of those 5 games, only one was not a close game.

Mizzou has opened a veritable Boone County Bakery when it comes to serving up (non-conference) cupcakes. It is really quite comical, and it is far past time that Mizzou is called out for it. The Boone County Bakery has a special for pressed duck because it is perpetual Duck Season in Boone County. Duck Season took only a short 3 season hiatus from 1999-2001 ('00-'02 seasons) 3 highly entertaining, highly competitive games. But after that, Duck Season returned.

God I love swiss cheese.

Which hole do I even start with? How about...

(1) Are you really quoting all-time-series stats to try and argue that SLU is on par with Mizzou program-wise? SLU has all of, what, SIX (going on seven) appearances in the NCAA Tournament ALL TIME? Compare that to Mizzou's TWENTY FOUR (going on twenty five) trips to the big dance, and how is that comparable? We haven't even talked about league titles or the competition that they play in the leagues either, but I just don't have all the time in the world to set you straight.

(2) The idea that playing SLU is the difference between playing a cupcake non-conference schedule or a legit non-conference schedule is, if possible, even more laughable than the idea that SLU and Mizzou are programs on the same level. So it qualifies as "duck season" to play teams like Illinois, Villanova, Cal, and Notre Dame, but adding SLU to that mix would suddenly give it credibility? Don't be ridiculous.

I get it, you want to see the game happen. Hell, I'd even enjoy watching the game happen, but let's be realistic about why it's not happening, and quit getting all offended by Alden's decision-making because it makes sense why he's reluctant to sign on.

Yahtzee! I love when this is brought up because it always makes me hopeful. I remember going as a kid and always loved these games.

Nut Up, kitties. >:l

Not that I want to defend Mizzou and/or the Big 12, why is everybody acting like Mizzou will get pounded in the SEC? It's not any better than the Big 12 in basketball, which I assume is what we're talking about.

Thing is, going forward, we're not a 75-125 program. So if you're going to resume this series, now is the time since we're set up for longer term success.

Hell, with all that we have coming back and that they lose, we might not want Mizzou's RPI weighing us down next year. :lol:

Stewart was a wuss (and one of THE MOST OVER RATED COACHES) and wouldn't play Charlie.

Man up. Wisconsin plays Marquette, they did during MU's down years and vice versa. This is a relationship and a rivalry that could benifit both schools. Sack up Tigers, let's ball.

FYI Norm Stewart & Spoon were the ones who made the three-year series happen in the early 2000s, they just both happened to have moved on by the time the games they scheduled were played. So, to say Stewart was a wuss is to be completely ignorant of history.

Also, Marquette is a consistently good team, with a rich basketball history, who plays in the BIG EAST. Not the Atlantic 10, the BIG EAST. That's a big boy conference, and Wisconsin has nothing to lose (actually, they probably have more to gain than to lose) by playing an in-state major conference basketball program in their non-conference schedule. To compare Wisconsin-Marquette to Mizzou-SLU is laughable.