Burwell Article - MU vs. SLU

kshoe

How many times do I have to say this? THE DECISION TO PLAY SLU OR NOT TO PLAY SLU IS NOT ABOUT MONEY FOR MIZZOU. Mizzou has football, and football makes them more money than God, especially going into the SEC next year. They don't need the money from one basketball game against SLU that 27,000 attend when they're packing in 70,000+ for football games and getting an equal share of TV revenue from the most popular conference in the most popular sport.

It's also not about the fans (you can argue that it should be, but that's a different argument). The clear reason Alden doesn't sign on the dotted line to play SLU every year is that Mizzou doesn't see much to gain from it.

Mizzou is afraid to play SLU.

Also, you may be lost. Here: http://www.tigerboard.com/

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also not about the fans (you can argue that it should be, but that's a different argument). The clear reason Alden doesn't sign on the dotted line to play SLU every year is that Mizzou doesn't see much to gain from it.

Give the people what they want. Play the game. Don't be afraid. Until then don't get all bunched up when we say we want the game to happen.

I don't get, how if Mizzou doesn't want to play SLU, and SLU is running a succesful program, we don't have every right to *****, moan, and talk sh!t...

I also don't see where there is no gain. I truely don't. So you make money off footbal. Why not make money off a basketball game?

I'm no missouri fan, but if you take money out of the equation, what does missouri gain from the game?

Let's assume Missouri wins, what do they gain:

Local recruiting uptick? Maybe.

Fan uptick? nominal.

RPI bump/better OOC schedule? Yes.

Regional pride/prestige enhancement in the eyes of others? I suppose.

However, while Missouri doesn't have much to gain, I don't think they have that much to lose either. They'll still be the big state school in the state and have an advantage in recruiting. They will still have a solid fan base. Missouri's schedule/rpi won't likely take a hit. In terms of prestige, they'll still be viewed the same.

So, they don't have much to gain and don't really have much to lose. Those kind of balance out. Now, add in the revenue generated and that should tip the decision in favor of playing SLU.

On the other hand, I agree, SLU has a lot to gain and not much to lose in this situation (but this shouldn't affect Missouri's decision):

Local recruiting uptick? yes.

Fan uptick? yes.

Regional pride/prestige enhancement? Yes.

I'm no missouri fan, but if you take money out of the equation, what does missouri gain from the game?

Let's assume Missouri wins, what do they gain:

Local recruiting uptick? Maybe.

Fan uptick? nominal.

Regional pride/prestige enhancement in the eyes of others? I suppose.

However, while Missouri doesn't have much to gain, I don't think they have that much to lose either. They'll still be the big state school in the state and have an advantage in recruiting. They will still have a solid fan base. Missouri's schedule/rpi won't likely take a hit. In terms of prestige, they'll still be viewed the same.

So, they don't have much to gain and don't really have much to lose. Those kind of balance out. Now, add in the revenue generated and that should tip the decision in favor of playing SLU.

On the other hand, I agree, SLU has a lot to gain and not much to lose in this situation (but this shouldn't affect Missouri's decision):

Local recruiting uptick? yes.

Fan uptick? yes.

Regional pride/prestige enhancement? Yes.

They could finally shut SLU fans up. Ha.

They could finally shut SLU fans up. Ha.

Are you kidding me Pat? Can you see me if we got to play X and MU every year? I would talk so much smack. I'd be that guy the CIA watches through twitter. People would think I was insane. The hate would consume me.

The word that saves you there is "consistently" because in the last 20 years, while SLU has racked up a stunning 4 NCAA tournament births and 0 wins outside the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, Mizzou has managed 12 visits to the Big Dance, featuring 3 Elite Eight appearances. Mizzou has been a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, and ranked in the top 5 multiple times during the last 20 years.

Mizzou is not an elite program, as I said before, but they are at least a relevant program in the last 20 years.

Put an asterisks next to that 3 elite eights. The record books reflect only 2 appearances in the elite eight.

Seriously though, if you want to talk to Mizzou fans, do yourselves a favor and go to http://www.rockmnation.com/

I'm not kidding, even I avoid tigerboard most of the time; the folks at Rock M Nation are way more interesting/insightful

Gee whiz, your computer is having some issues today. I know it's a terribly unattractive Geocities-esque unreadable yellow-on-black full of semi-literate d-bags, but here's where Tiger fans go: http://www.tigerboard.com/.

Put an asterisks next to that 3 elite eights. The record books reflect only 2 appearances in the elite eight.

Fine, but you should know that the ratio of 3/0 is the same as 2/0.... either way, SLU's elite eight appearances don't exist.

Mid-thread betting oppurtunity:

Do I reach my 100th post arguing with TigerLuke in this thread?

As long as he's here I'll keeping going, I like this guy. Basketball focused arguments. Maybe he really did go to Wash U.

Do enjoy good SLU / MU banter...your opinions, while misguided, are well thought out. Thanks for visiting.

It had been way too long since we had any actual Mizzou/SLU banter. I suppose I can thank Burwell for that, but don't ask me to do it again or I'll have to take a shower.

Give the people what they want. Play the game. Don't be afraid. Until then don't get all bunched up when we say we want the game to happen.

I don't get, how if Mizzou doesn't want to play SLU, and SLU is running a succesful program, we don't have every right to *****, moan, and talk sh!t...

I also don't see where there is no gain. I truely don't. So you make money off footbal. Why not make money off a basketball game?

You have the right to ***** & moan all you want, hell I'll even complain that Kansas should keep playing Mizzou after we bolt for the SEC, but I understand why they don't want to play us. Is it better for the game if Mizzou & Kansas play ever season, and Mizzou & SLU play every season? Sure, I'll give you that, but I get why it won't happen.

You have the right to get upset that Alden won't make it happen, but I also have the right to say "right on" to Alden for doing what he thinks is best for the program.

I just wish that back a couple of years ago when Kwamain and Willie were in hot water, that someone felt the need to distract from that mess by starting a "Mizzou is dodging us!" thread. Maybe they did and I just didn't know about it, but what drives me nuts is my perception that this only is a big discussion when SLU is competitive. You're never going to hear the outcry from Mizzou fans for a game, so you guys have to go nuts about it all the time for it to happen. At least that's how I see it.

Lastly, my point on football & money isn't that money is a bad thing, or that Mizzou doesn't want the money. Rather, my point is that b/c of the huge amount of football revenue, Mizzou doesn't NEED the money from playing SLU, so they can make their decision on whether or not to play them based solely on basketball program reasoning, and not even consider the potential money.

It had been way too long since we had any actual Mizzou/SLU banter. I suppose I can thank Burwell for that, but don't ask me to do it again or I'll have to take a shower.

Burwell isn't good for much but he does know how to stir the pot. Hopefully a Round of 32 matchup between The #2 seeded University of MissourA and the # 7 seeded Billikens will give us the fix we all need and let this argument be settled on the court where it should be.

You have the right to ***** & moan all you want, hell I'll even complain that Kansas should keep playing Mizzou after we bolt for the SEC, but I understand why they don't want to play us. Is it better for the game if Mizzou & Kansas play ever season, and Mizzou & SLU play every season? Sure, I'll give you that, but I get why it won't happen.

You have the right to get upset that Alden won't make it happen, but I also have the right to say "right on" to Alden for doing what he thinks is best for the program.

I just wish that back a couple of years ago when Kwamain and Willie were in hot water, that someone felt the need to distract from that mess by starting a "Mizzou is dodging us!" thread. Maybe they did and I just didn't know about it, but what drives me nuts is my perception that this only is a big discussion when SLU is competitive. You're never going to hear the outcry from Mizzou fans for a game, so you guys have to go nuts about it all the time for it to happen. At least that's how I see it.

Lastly, my point on football & money isn't that money is a bad thing, or that Mizzou doesn't want the money. Rather, my point is that b/c of the huge amount of football revenue, Mizzou doesn't NEED the money from playing SLU, so they can make their decision on whether or not to play them based solely on basketball program reasoning, and not even consider the potential money.

Oh man! It's still happening. In the upper right-hand corner of this webpage, there is a black box with white lettering that says "Sign Out". Go ahead and press that. Then go here: http://www.tigerboard.com/

claiming that mizzou has a better basketball pedigree isn't fact, it's opinion. there is nothing in the world you could drag up to claim that missouri is better than kansas. the fact is, mizzou fans think they're some basketball power when they've never even gotten past the elite 8. the fact is, I supported my statement with facts, you tried to pass off opinion as fact.

Have fun with these facts:

Mizzou has more NCAA appearances, Sweet Sixteens, Elite Eights, #1 Seeds in the NCAA Tournament, Conference Regular Season Titles, and Conference Tournament Championships than SLU does, all while playing in a major conference against superior competition. That's basically every winning metric I can think of other than overall wins, but I couldn't find the statistics on that quickly so I left it off, but I'd bet Mizzou has more of those too.

That Mizzou is a better program than SLU is both my opinion, and can be factually supported. There you go. Thanks for playing.

Burwell isn't good for much but he does know how to stir the pot. Hopefully a Round of 32 matchup between The #2 seeded University of MissourA and the # 7 seeded Billikens will give us the fix we all need and let this argument be settled on the court where it should be.

Yeah... that's exactly the kind of crap the selection committee loves to pull. Like when they made Mizzou and 8/9 seed in Duke's region a year or two after Quinn left there to ruin Missouri's basketball team.

I wouldn't be at all surprised honestly, and I'd be fine with it. Neutral site, means the world to both teams, I'll take that.

-back to burwell's article, here are my take aways...1-thanks to burwell for writing a positive article on SLU, 2-burwell is completely nuts to think kansas will come to 4 team tourney in stl, 3-i don't care if we play mizzou, it would be good for our coffers, but i think in some ways we look small and like we are begging big/older brother to play with us, 4-if burwell is such a college bball junkie, his term, then why doesn't he show up to games last year? or before mid-feb this year? where have you been junkie? siue? cape? methdale? on your couch?

Yeah... that's exactly the kind of crap the selection committee loves to pull. Like when they made Mizzou and 8/9 seed in Duke's region a year or two after Quinn left there to ruin Missouri's basketball team.

I wouldn't be at all surprised honestly, and I'd be fine with it. Neutral site, means the world to both teams, I'll take that.

It continues! Computer Science was not your major at one of South Carolina's public schools, clearly. Nor was Spelling (though Clemson does offer it, I'm sure) - first "birth", and now you misspell the name of your beloved Mizzou's former coach.

In the meantime, poor spelling is always welcome at http://www.tigerboard.com/.

-back to burwell's article, here are my take aways...1-thanks to burwell for writing a positive article on SLU, 2-burwell is completely nuts to think kansas will come to 4 team tourney in stl, 3-i don't care if we play mizzou, it would be good for our coffers, but i think in some ways we look small and like we are begging big/older brother to play with us, 4-if burwell is such a college bball junkie, his term, then why doesn't he show up to games last year? or before mid-feb this year? where have you been junkie? siue? cape? methdale? on your couch?

Great points. Also had to do a double-take when I read "keeping the best rivalry in college basketball alive" in reference to MIZ-KU. If Burwell wasn't pimping the Bills so hard this week, might have to seriously reconsider his college bball cred...

It continues! Computer Science was not your major at one of South Carolina's public schools, clearly. Nor was Spelling (though Clemson does offer it, I'm sure) - first "birth", and now you misspell the name of your beloved Mizzou's former coach.

In the meantime, poor spelling is always welcome at http://www.tigerboard.com/.

Hardly beloved, so I'm not bothered by it.

I'm still here if you haven't noticed. Just thought I'd point that out. Mkaythanks.