when bruce weber gets fired next month

billiken_roy

i hope rickma is camping out at belleville east high school the next day to talk to mal hill. the kid has been fantastic this season.

i hope rickma is camping out at belleville east high school the next day to talk to mal hill. the kid has been fantastic this season.

Brad Stevens will still get Hill to Illinois. Webber won't be able to convince him SIU is the right place...

Any chance Bruce webber will end up as another asst on our bench? Could help recruiting and he is the kind of asst who would sound like a potential successor.

Brad Stevens will still get Hill to Illinois. Webber won't be able to convince him SIU is the right place...

not sure about that as i wouldnt be so quick to assume that brad stevens would go to illinois.

weber is not a good recruiter. what players he was getting are a testimony to a couple of his assistants. so i am not all that excited about bringing weber to slu as an assistant. we need a true recruiter besides harriman who is still trying to learn american geography and customs. we dont need another head coach on the bench.

That's two really bold predictions. There's no way Mike Thomas goes after Brad Stevens, especially after he hired Tim Beckman to coach the football Illini. Guess the whole state of Illinois is going to have to get used to amateur hour with Ventura on the South Side, Sveum on the North Side and the guy currently running Chicago into the ground.

Being at Cincy before coming to UIUC, he'll make a phone call to Mick Cronin. Of course, Mick Cronin will say no, and then he'll probably call Chris Lowery.

And to billikenroy's point - Jerrance Howard has been Weber's saving grace over the last few years...Wayne McClain has been a steady right-hand-man, but Howard has been the guy on the road for the Illini, securing their recruits like Mike Shaw and Tracy Abrams.

i realize it seems fashionable these days to bash webber, but lets keep in mind he spent about 5 or 6 years at SIU if i recall correctly and, in that time, he took them to 2 ncaa appearances including a sweet sixteen. that was with his players. i think he's qualified to be an assistant here.

not sure about that as i wouldnt be so quick to assume that brad stevens would go to illinois.

weber is not a good recruiter. what players he was getting are a testimony to a couple of his assistants. so i am not all that excited about bringing weber to slu as an assistant. we need a true recruiter besides harriman who is still trying to learn american geography and customs. we dont need another head coach on the bench.

Metz, did you really just suggest lowery would get a sniff at Illinois? I'll just assume that was a joke and move on.

Look, my predictions are at least reasonable and I'm sure Illinois would take Stevens in a heartbeat. Only real question is whether he'll make himself available.

Stevens can and should do better than Illinois.

On paper Illinois should be one of the best jobs in the nation. It never is though. I'd be shocked if one of the hot HCs like Stevens or Smart decided to go there.

Metz, did you really just suggest lowery would get a sniff at Illinois? I'll just assume that was a joke and move on.

Look, my predictions are at least reasonable and I'm sure Illinois would take Stevens in a heartbeat. Only real question is whether he'll make himself available.

I bet Stephens would have to think about that one. It would be a good fit since he would be recruiting the same areas. The Indiana and Notre Dame jobs aren't going to be open soon, so what better job can he realistically be hoping for unless he wants to stay at Butler long term.

i realize it seems fashionable these days to bash webber, but lets keep in mind he spent about 5 or 6 years at SIU if i recall correctly and, in that time, he took them to 2 ncaa appearances including a sweet sixteen. that was with his players. i think he's qualified to be an assistant here.

thank matt painter and paul lusk and chris lowery for bringing weber the players at siu. after the head start weber got from self the steady decline since sure doesnt speak well for him to come to slu with the thought in mind that he is the heir apparent with a reputation as a mediocre recruiter. let's not forget that soderberg out recruited him for lisch and liddell. and he (weber) personally went after both of them hard.

On paper Illinois should be one of the best jobs in the nation. It never is though. I'd be shocked if one of the hot HCs like Stevens or Smart decided to go there.

Weber came to Illinois when he lost patience waiting for his old mentor Gene Keady to retire and open up the job at Purdue. He says now that he has not recruited wisely in recent years. I agree with KMBilliken - he'll get another HC job. I don't want to see him on the bench at SLU.

Rhode Island fans have already called 'dibs' on Weber after Baron gets fired (at least according to a few of their fans)...

Mike Krzyzewski is 65. If Duke doesn't promote from within, Brad Stevens would be the perfect candidate to continue the Duke legacy. Extremely professional, highly intelligent, and a great in-game coach.

As far as Illinois, after Stevens hangs up on Mike Thomas, he will call Shaka Smart. If Shaka hangs up on him, he may call Chris Mooney or maybe even Josh Pastner. If those two fall through he might take a flyer on Jeff Boals of Ohio State or Kelvin Sampson.

If all other alternatives fail, Lou Henson is only 80 and probably has a few good years left...

Talent is not the issue at Illinois. They've had 10...I repeat...10!!! Top 100 recruits over the past 3 seasons. 8 are currently on the roster. The problem lies with Weber's perimeter-oriented 'system'...and the fact that he's not that great a coach...

Rhode Island fans have already called 'dibs' on Weber after Baron gets fired (at least according to a few of their fans)...

Mike Krzyzewski is 65. If Duke doesn't promote from within, Brad Stevens would be the perfect candidate to continue the Duke legacy. Extremely professional, highly intelligent, and a great in-game coach.

As far as Illinois, after Stevens hangs up on Mike Thomas, he will call Shaka Smart. If Shaka hangs up on him, he may call Chris Mooney or maybe even Josh Pastner. If those two fall through he might take a flyer on Jeff Boals of Ohio State or Kelvin Sampson.

If all other alternatives fail, Lou Henson is only 80 and probably has a few good years left...

Talent is not the issue at Illinois. They've had 10...I repeat...10!!! Top 100 recruits over the past 3 seasons. 8 are currently on the roster. The problem lies with Weber's perimeter-oriented 'system'...and the fact that he's not that great a coach...

my opinion of the current weber failure is while he recruited highly acclaimed players, not all are good kids and most are coaching headaches that think they know better than the coach. he has a team loaded with talent but headcases that are pretty much uncoachable.. a team can get by with one or two of them. when they are in the minority, they likely will fall in line. but when you got nearly a whole roster of all stars that all want to be the man, that's a problem. gotta have the chemistry right.

griffey should have came to slu. i almost feel sorry for him.

I'm not a recruiting expert, but I'd say the chances of Berry ever going to SLU are about ....0%

Well, anyone can change their mind if their situation changes. 1. He'd lose the guy that recruited him. 2. Butler's not doing much this year unless they win the Horizon tourney, ie a little of the bloom is off the rose. 3. If he changes his mind, we'll put Easy Ed's number on our unis next year.... like we should have done this year.

Well, anyone can change their mind if their situation changes. 1. He'd lose the guy that recruited him. 2. Butler's not doing much this year unless they win the Horizon tourney, ie a little of the bloom is off the rose. 3. If he changes his mind, we'll put Easy Ed's number on our unis next year.... like we should have done this year.

Stevens would take berry to Illinois. Nolan to slu is not going to happen 72.

Stevens can and should do better than Illinois.

Imo it seems how good any job is depends on the abilities of the recent coaches. Had Self stayed at Illinois it would be a top 10 type job and the Illini would be a top 10 type program.

SIU was considered a pretty good mid-major job, is it anymore?

That's two really bold predictions. There's no way Mike Thomas goes after Brad Stevens, especially after he hired Tim Beckman to coach the football Illini. Guess the whole state of Illinois is going to have to get used to amateur hour with Ventura on the South Side, Sveum on the North Side and the guy currently running Chicago into the ground.

Being at Cincy before coming to UIUC, he'll make a phone call to Mick Cronin. Of course, Mick Cronin will say no, and then he'll probably call Chris Lowery.

And to billikenroy's point - Jerrance Howard has been Weber's saving grace over the last few years...Wayne McClain has been a steady right-hand-man, but Howard has been the guy on the road for the Illini, securing their recruits like Mike Shaw and Tracy Abrams.

Give Porter some time. He will turn it around.

-there was talk some years ago about hugh hefner wanting to donate some money to illinois to upgrade bball facilities, did either happen? is a new coach going to demand facilities upgrade? i have no idea the state of their facilities just asking

-the illini meltdown is really something, not quite sure what is says about the program other than i guess there was instability in there somewhere

-i guess weber could take a job for next year, but rhodey seems a bit outside is recruiting base