Spoon has passed away

bonwich

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Coach Spoon. He did a great job for us, was great to talk to, very friendly. He once made my day during an appearance at a Venture store. I asked him if we would be able to beat Louisville and he just calmly replied, oh yeah we'll beat them--and we did ! Sad that he's gone.

I wasn't a billiken fan until I came, so I missed the spoonball era. Everything I've heard about Spoon was positive, and my co workers and I were just talking about how supportive St. Louis was of the Billikens while he was coach. Rest in peace, Spoon.

Sad news. Spoonhour's teams turned me into a SLU fan when I was a kid. I don't have many memories that pre-date the Spoon era, but can't even count the positive memories of going to games when he was head coach. You'd be hard pressed to find a local sports figure more unanimously beloved than Spoon.

R.I.P. Coach Charlie Spoonhour.

Rich Grawer was the Biblical Moses of SLU Basketball, the Coach who literally led SLU out of the wilderness (and deep abyss) to the brink of the Promised Land (aka the NCAA Tournament), but was unable to enter it himself.

Coach Spoon was SLU's Biblical Joshua, the coach who bravely led the fight against the enemies (such as the evil Cincinnati Bearcats, DePaul, Memphis, Marquette, and later Louisville) and was the coach who led SLU into the Promised Land, the NCAA Tournament, as in 3 times. It was a Billiken team under Coach Spoon that blew out Denny Crum's Louisville Cardinals at Freedom Hall, one of the greatest games of my fandom after sitting through so many drubbings to Louisville and Denny Crum's take no prisoners approach as a SLU undergrad.

I was at the NCAA win in Baltimore over Minnesota, under Coach Spoon, a true natural high. I was at the NCAA win in Atlanta over UMass, under Coach Spoon, when freshman Larry Hughes took over the game at crunch time.

It was Spoon who said he was smart enough to get out of Hughes' way.

My cousin played under a young Coach Spoon at Southeastern Iowa Community College and says Spoon was the best coach he ever had.

I know the court at Chaifetz Arena has the corporate name, Centene Court, and without knowing assume revenue is involved there. But wouldn't it be nice and fitting if the court could be named Grawer-Spoonhour Court?

R.I.P. Coach Charlie Spoonhour.

Rich Grawer was the Biblical Moses of SLU Basketball, the Coach who literally led SLU out of the wilderness (and deep abyss) to the brink of the Promised Land (aka the NCAA Tournament), but was unable to enter it himself.

Coach Spoon was SLU's Biblical Joshua, the coach who bravely led the fight against the enemies (such as the evil Cincinnati Bearcats, DePaul, Marquette, and later Louisville) and was the coach who led SLU into the Promised Land, the NCAA Tournament, as in 3 times.

My cousin played under a young Coach Spoon at Southeastern Iowa Community College and says Spoon was the best coach he ever had.

I know the court at Chaiftetz Arena has the corporate name, Centene Court, and without knowing assume revenue is involved there. But wouldn't it be nice and fitting if the court could be named Grawer-Spoonhour Court?

Completely agree (although Moses wasn't allowed into the promised land, if I remember my Old Testament correctly... his brother Aaron leading the charge) :P

Hope we at least put a black band on the unis the rest of the way out in his honor.

My only Spoon story: Back during my sophomore year, a few of us thought we might be able to sneak in to Larry Hughes's press conference announicng he was leaving. We went to West Pine and walked back into the offices looking for the conference room only to be stopped by someone asking what the hell we were doing back there. As we are trying to explain ourselves, Spoon comes walking out of an office and asks one of us what we were doing. We told we wanted to sit in on the press conference and he said, "Follow me. Thanks for coming to support Larry." So he takes us down the hall, opens a door, walks in to a room full of reporters, who all stand up thinking Larry is following Spoon, only to see five sub-six foot white college kids follow Spoon in to the room. From there we stood on one side as Larry came in later and did his conference.

Anyway lame story but definetly one of my good memories from college thanks to Spoon.

There were a lot of great victories under Coach Spoon. Of the greatest and most symbolic was against SIU at the old St. Louis Arena (aka the Old Barn) in Spoon's 3rd year at SLU, '93-'94. That is the season SLU began the season 14-0, was nationally ranked, even drew the attention of President Bill Clinton, a year that resulted in SLU's 1st NCAA Tournament appearance since 1957.

Anyway, we were at that Saturday night game. Our son was with us and 4 years old. We ate at Caleco's on Laclede before the game, and I remember my friend asking me how many fans I thought would be at the game that night. I said I thought there might be 10,000. We arrived at the game, the crowd kept growing and growing. I looked up and the workers were removing the tarps from the rafter seats at the north end of The Arena, a heretofore unheard of sight. It was unbelievable for me, and it brought a tear or two to my eyes. I knew that our school, our alma mater, had finally arrived in the big time after all those years. There were over 17,000 fans at that game.

RIP Coach.

Sad couple of months for Billiken legends.

My Uncles brought me into SLU fanhood during the Ol' CUSA days. That was a fun conference with stellar teams. Spoon made SLU part of that picture. My Mom (from Milwaukee) and Uncles would always bet on those SLU Marquette games, it was a fun time for the family.

I specifically remember Hughes blowing up for somewhere around 40 against the Golden Eagles (Warriors still?) one night. Put on a show absolutly swept Marquette out of the gym.

It actually turns out Coach was born in Northwest Arkansas in the town next to where I spent my teenage years, he will be mourned around those parts as well.

If anyone is on campus/close to campus, my co-workers and I are going to plant some spoons in the quad, around 12 or 12:30. We got approval from grounds keeping, as well.

I'll be in the quad then promotin the game. I was thinking about going to get some spoons from the store and handing them out at the game tonight.

If anyone is on campus/close to campus, my co-workers and I are going to plant some spoons in the quad, around 12 or 12:30. We got approval from grounds keeping, as well.

I am one of his co-workers, and I just acquired approximately 750 plastic spoons.