Observations from A Maryland couch on Temple .....

Taj79

SLU is the only home team that is treated as a visitor by the refs. Fernandez and the other players from Temple worked the officials after each call against them. Wasn't it last year after the Temple game that the A-10 sent SLU a letter of apology about the bad calls they received. That did a lot of good it didn't reverse the loss. While Temple might have been the better team last night several calls were game changers.

SLU is the only home team that is treated as a visitor by the refs. Fernandez and the other players from Temple worked the officials after each call against them. Wasn't it last year after the Temple game that the A-10 sent SLU a letter of apology about the bad calls they received. That did a lot of good it didn't reverse the loss. While Temple might have been the better team last night several calls were game changers.

When is everyone going to get this, we joined the goddam A-10, johnny-come-latelys, but our campus is west of the Mississippi. Its a different culture, we come into an established situation. People in the NE think we grow corn within the St. Louis City limits; hate our asses. (and don't compare this situation to the long established Pac-10, etc.) We would get better calls if we joined a league in the Republic of China.

When is everyone going to get this, we joined the goddam A-10, johnny-come-latelys, but our campus is west of the Mississippi. Its a different culture, we come into an established situation. People in the NE think we grow corn within the St. Louis City limits; hate our asses. (and don't compare this situation to the long established Pac-10, etc.) We would get better calls if we joined a league in the Republic of China.

...and here we go.

obviously i am in the minority and god forbid i defend referees who i just hate, they are all bad. but i didnt think last night was any worse than any other night.

were there really bad calls? yes. but i think overall it evened out.

i do agree last year at temple was a joke. that was a memorable horrible referee performance rivaling the rape we encountered two weeks ago in New Mexico.

we shot more free throws than temple last night. and that included missed front ends of 1 for 1's.

obviously i am in the minority and god forbid i defend referees who i just hate, they are all bad. but i didnt think last night was any worse than any other night.

were there really bad calls? yes. but i think overall it evened out.

i do agree last year at temple was a joke. that was a memorable horrible referee performance rivaling the rape we encountered two weeks ago in New Mexico.

we shot more free throws than temple last night. and that included missed front ends of 1 for 1's.

I agree with many others who have posted that the refs didn't lose it for us last night (and, in fact, the team had no one to blame but themselves, especially for not making stops at the end.

The point made by the original comment on the refs (from another poster), I think, is that we have no home court advantage in the A-10, in very large part because of the officiating. As one of the nice Lobo interlopers posted on our board, the home team is supposed to get an edge in the calls. We don't.

And Roy, you're one of the great proponents of calling the rules as they're written. Last night's crew was of the "let 'em play" ilk, which more often than not puts us at a disadvantage, because we don't sweep with an elbow every trip upcourt, nor consistently lower our shoulders while driving, nor push off from behind on virtually every offensive rebound, nor blatantly mug whoever is bringing the ball upcourt.

The crowd did provide us a measure of homecourt advantage last night, but unfortunately, the brainless bald guy didn't make any of his most egregious calls in front of the Shoe section, depriving us of our best line of intimidation.

Nope. I thought the officiating was fair. I had no problem with them not calling those charges. People fail to realize we got gifted a few fouls against them too and I specifically remember them giving us the ball off a rebound that was definitely off Temple. Officiating wasn't the issue... we didn't make the shots and couldn't stop them late in the game

I agree with many others who have posted that the refs didn't lose it for us last night (and, in fact, the team had no one to blame but themselves, especially for not making stops at the end.

The point made by the original comment on the refs (from another poster), I think, is that we have no home court advantage in the A-10, in very large part because of the officiating. As one of the nice Lobo interlopers posted on our board, the home team is supposed to get an edge in the calls. We don't.

And Roy, you're one of the great proponents of calling the rules as they're written. Last night's crew was of the "let 'em play" ilk, which more often than not puts us at a disadvantage, because we don't sweep with an elbow every trip upcourt, nor consistently lower our shoulders while driving, nor push off from behind on virtually every offensive rebound, nor blatantly mug whoever is bringing the ball upcourt.

The crowd did provide us a measure of homecourt advantage last night, but unfortunately, the brainless bald guy didn't make any of his most egregious calls in front of the Shoe section, depriving us of our best line of intimidation.

bonwich i didnt say the refs last night were good. i said they were equal. equally bad. i hate "let em play and i agree last night was a let em play night. for those screaming unfair, you apparently didnt watch conklin pushing pulling for position. cassity, mitchell, jett body the drive. there was enough no calls for both sides.

Nope. I thought the officiating was fair. I had no problem with them not calling those charges. People fail to realize we got gifted a few fouls against them too and I specifically remember them giving us the ball off a rebound that was definitely off Temple. Officiating wasn't the issue... we didn't make the shots and couldn't stop them late in the game

Fair? How about the two no specific no calls I cited? The CBS Sports Network telecast even showed a replay of the obvious foul against Loe in the first half that was not called. That was on a 3 point shot. The Temple guy bumped into Loe's arm in his act of shooting the 3. Loe should have been given 3 free throws.

In the second half, McCall was held and detained by Fernandez while the ball was stripped from him. Do you think that's "fair?" There's a let them play calling of a game. But letting them play does not include that arrest, detention, and pillaging of McCall. Good grief, that was an illegal search and seizure.

Come on, can we deep six the Queen's Court Rules, once and for all? As Philly's own Tony Bruno would say re this officiating (albeit maybe not since Temple was the beneficiary), "It's an outrage." Something needs to be done about these A-10 refs. And that something does not include letter(s) of apology. This is Year 7 of this stuff. Enough is enough, period.

Not addressing this stuff, taking the alleged high road, accepting this incompetency, is akin to the ostrich burying his head in the sand. The games of St. Louis U. getting "visitored" at Chaifetz Arena must end, and must end even if the opponent is one of the A-10's favored teams.

Whether or not the refs cost SLU the game, the margin of defeat was only 5 points.

bonwich i didnt say the refs last night were good. i said they were equal. equally bad. i hate "let em play and i agree last night was a let em play night. for those screaming unfair, you apparently didnt watch conklin pushing pulling for position. cassity, mitchell, jett body the drive. there was enough no calls for both sides.

Bumping into a player's arm (Loe) in the act of shooting must be called. That is supposed to be a shooting foul- 3 shots.

Arresting and detaining (holding of McCall) and then allowing the ball to be stripped from him in the backcourt must be called.

Those two go well beyond the "let the boys play." Those would likely even be called under the football, Army basketball de facto rules in the Big Ten.

I'm more perturbed now by these no calls than I was watching the game. Why? Because at the times I thought SLU could still win the game, even with the A-10 zebras.

Whether these two blatant misses cost SLU the game will never be truly known. But they sure didn't help the SLU cause, did they?

It was patently obvious from those two no calls (the hack of Loe and the arrest, detention, and pillaging of McCall) that the A-10 wanted no part of an 0-2 in the A-10 Temple team, one that beat Duke, and that every doubt was going to go Temple's way to avoid that unacceptable scenario.

So, did The A-10 president, or board of directors, let the refs know that they had to throw the game, or did the refs do it on their own, because unlike us Bills fans, they see the big picture, and know that a Temple victory is ultimately better for the A-10?

Well, that (any alleged A-10 direct involvement with the refs for last night's game) is probably a stretch, and there is no known evidence of that. I'm not saying the refs "threw" last night's game. I am saying there were two patently obvious blown no calls that went against SLU.

Last year's game definitely involved question marks, namely those highly questionable intentional foul calls against SLU, and the poster above asks about the letter of apology. Last year's game at Temple was gift wrapped to Temple.

These things being said, the refs no doubt have to know of the importance of Temple to the A-10, whether or not anyone told them.

I do acknowledge the merit of an earlier post, to paraphrase, that the less athletic team (SLU) will not get those charging calls on evident flops. That much I can accept.

However and again, none of that explains the two blown and missed calls that I've cited. Those are the two that have me riled up today.

Maybe the missed call on Loe was pure human error, maybe. Maybe the 3 zebras somehow didn't see that one.

But the McCall arrest, detention, and seizure? Come on, the 3 refs would literally have to have been the three blind mice not to have seen that one.

Well, I guess it's fourth down- punt.

I realize that I will never convince the apparent majority of this board about the refs.

We must accept them. They are human. They are doing the best they can. They have no effect on the outcome. ... These A-10 refs are just as good as their counterparts elsewhere (LOL!).

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Not so fast. Sorry, guys. I'm a True Blue Billiken, Jesuit trained, schooled to see and object to injustice where it exists. Last night there were two obviously blown calls that went against SLU. Those were not judgment calls. Those were blown calls, period.

Thus, after further review, I decided to go for it on 4th down.

So, did The A-10 president, or board of directors, let the refs know that they had to throw the game, or did the refs do it on their own, because unlike us Bills fans, they see the big picture, and know that a Temple victory is ultimately better for the A-10?

Hilarious. So you are saying there is no possibilty of bias? That refs never favor the interests of their dominant geographic members and / or certain power teams as opposed to outliers?

Last night's crew was of the "let 'em play" ilk, which more often than not puts us at a disadvantage, because we don't sweep with an elbow every trip upcourt, nor consistently lower our shoulders while driving, nor push off from behind on virtually every offensive rebound, nor blatantly mug whoever is bringing the ball upcourt.

What infuriated me was that for essentially 30 minutes the refs hardly called anything, and in quick succession they called Conk and Dwayne for ticky tack over the back fouls (the type of which they had previously left uncalled)...consistency is all I ask from an officiating crew...

Back to the original point. The refs will have bias for Temple not because of geography, which i think is a pretty ridiculous statement, but because our guys consistently flop on defense. Therefore, when another team is playing us tough the refs aren't going to respect our 7 foot center falling over from someone hitting his arm or a scarmble for a loose ball when our point guard shouldn't have dribbled into him.

Also, the over the back was absoutely the right call on Dwayne so kind of ridiculous to be mad when the refs make the right call just because we didn't get a call at some other point in the game.

Back to the original point. The refs will have bias for Temple not because of geography, which i think is a pretty ridiculous statement, but because our guys consistently flop on defense. Therefore, when another team is playing us tough the refs aren't going to respect our 7 foot center falling over from someone hitting his arm or a scarmble for a loose ball when our point guard shouldn't have dribbled into him.

Now this makes sense to me.

The Loe 3-point shot foul and the McCall mugging were blown calls, but the refs could be biased against SLU because of all their attempts to take charges, some of which are more acting than result of the collision.