From Lobo Land

HowlTime

Excuses are for losers. Waaaah waaaah waaaaaaah waaaaaaah.

Shoot 18 shots from 3 point range, you won't get fouled a bunch. Drive to the hole possession after possession and force the team to either play perfect defense, give up an easy score, or send you to the foul line. It's pretty simple. Our strategy worked and theirs didn't. Too bad so sad. Guess our coach is just better than theirs.

I couldn't say it better!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From LoboMike:

I think you have to forgive their fans some. They are just not used to big games or big time atmospheres. They haven't been to the big dance in twelve years and this is the Fat Man's fifth year there and the first real good team he's had. This is all new territory for them and they don't know how to react when things don't go their way. They're like children who aren't used to success or the failure that can sometimes go with that when you are trying to move up the ladder.

Consider that UNM fans have packed the Pit for an eternity, we've been in wars for conference championships in front of 22,000 in Provo, huge games in places like the Thomas and Mack and Viejas in recent years, and it's just a different level that Lobo fans are at. We know big time basketball and big time battles. SLU folks don't. They got a lesson in it on Saturday, but they don't know how to take it yet. Their first stage was denial. Let's see if they progress.

Word!

Not impressed with their team. Sorry. We dominate on a neutral court. Fact. You obviously are needing some type of reassurance that you are a good team. Again Not impressed. Now go stroke off to your 'win'

Some facts for NM

7 home games you've shot 195 ft's and committed 111 fouls

7 away or neutral games you've shot 159 ft's and committed 142 fouls

36 more ft's at home so 5 per game. You commit 31 less fouls at home so about 4.5 less fouls per game at home

The guy who said the pit was about a 10 point advantage is probably right. As it's worth about 6.5 just from the refs to you as compared to your road and neutral games

Take away the NM St game at home where you committed 28 fouls and you've averaged 13.8 fouls at home. Your oponents average less than 2 ft's in the bonus per game. On the road you commit an average of over 20 fouls per game.

It's obviously not just us who gets the short end of the calls at the Pit. Look you guys bring 15K + to that arena and it's loud as f..k. Your fans do a great job of making it an intimidating place ... and if you think that doesn't also affect the refs you are nuts. A lobo player could tackle a guy from behind on a breakaway lay-up and the fans in the pit would boo the call as if they just got screwed

btw ... one of the things that frustrates us is we haven't made the Fetz into that place where teams hate to come. A place where the refs are a bit intimidated and we get the better of the calls. And really, that's on us. Your fans do a great job making the Pit what it is. You could hear your crowd every second of the game, I can only imagine how loud it is in the place. I hope one day soon we make the Fetz the same type of arena

that's exactly right. The post where the lobo fan said the Bill fans aren't used to big time basketball year in and year out is correct in some ways. Imo you have to respect the fans for the fact that they make the pit the hell for oponents it is. It's not just UNM go on the road at any place with that many fans consistently packing the place and getting so loud you can hardly hear. Places like that get the calls at home. If we make the Fetz ... that place, we'll get them too.

Seriously....I stopped blaming the refs once I turned 13. Blaming the refs really makes you guys look small time. There are bad calls in EVERY game. It's the nature of the game. Do the mature thing and blame your team for allowing the refs to influence the outcome.

Or even a better idea, tip your hat to the opponent and learn from your mistakes.

It's like elementary school on this board.

Seriously....I stopped blaming the refs once I turned 13. Blaming the refs really makes you guys look small time. There are bad calls in EVERY game. It's the nature of the game. Do the mature thing and blame your team for allowing the refs to influence the outcome.

Or even a better idea, tip your hat to the opponent and learn from your mistakes.

why are you one it then you dumb a**

Yeah, let's make the refs angry. That will convince them to give us the calls

No it's about intimidating them, much like the lobo fans did last night. That "ten point Pit advantage" is dictated by the officials.

In all my life, I have never seen someone make such a blatantly idiotic statement when trying to be serious. Thank you - you just made me feel incredibly better about the victory we had taken from us last night by your refs. It is refreshing to see at least one Lobo fan admit the refs influenced the outcome. That does take guts. Congratulations!

Skip nailed one of the key pieces in us going from good to very good to something special. We didn't really get "homered" at UNM, which would imply (see also: "Hoosiers") that the refs were local and throwing calls.

UNM got 15K in between semesters. (It sounds like they might even get 15K against Texas Southern at 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve.) Home court advantage. Yeah, it does affect the officiating. And it will in every gym we play in that's sold out or close to sold out with screaming fans.

Although No One Wants to Play at the Fetz, at present that's not because we have home court advantage. It's because the other team doesn't. And until we have a home court where ushers (and other fans) don't admonish fans for being too loud (can you even imagine that happening in NM, let alone at Duke or even in Columbia?) or don't know enough to let opposing fans sit in our student section or where we can actually get more than a single lower-level section of screaming students -- we still won't.

The conference season may or may not illustrate whether any of this has changed. (And much like Marque in his soph-junior-sr years, Jordair is going to hit that shot all the time as he gets a little older).

I agree to a point. We could have and should have shot better. It's not like the pit is the only place where the home team consistently gets the better of the calls. And ... really just like it's silly for us to ***** about it, isn't it just as silly for you guys to pretend the calls aren't consistently in your favor at the pit

I agree to a point. We could have and should have shot better. It's not like the pit is the only place where the home team consistently gets the better of the calls. And ... really just like it's silly for us to ***** about it, isn't it just as silly for you guys to pretend the calls aren't consistently in your favor at the pit

So you want us to say that we won the game because of the refs? You are right that is silly.